Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delta Cable (Persona in B.C.) Discussion

I am currently a StarChoice subscriber but I really prefer cable. Just not my local provider - Cable Axion. I recently found out Axion has been sold to Persona Communications (pending CRTC approval, of course).Are there any Persona customers on the forums? Can anyone tell me anything about them? I found their website but it didn't tell me much.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Persona (formerly Regional Cable) are a company that seem to buy up a lot of rathole systems at rock bottom prices. These systems generally haven't been rebuilt for two-way services, so they don't have digital and Internet. Persona rebuilds them to an extent, and generally launches digital cable on using HITS QT and the Motorola DSR470 digital terminal. High-speed Internet on Persona is hit and miss. Some markets have it, lots don't. Persona generally lets a third party run the ISP services on those networks.

For some reason, Persona seems to have been very successful doing this. As for what you'll see on your local system, that remains to be seen. They've got so many different systems that quality can and probably will vary from place to place.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Does HITS QT mean you have to install a dish or is it a pass-through of the sat. signal through your cable feed to the set-top box with a specific channel map for your cable system.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The latter. Gives a lot of channels, relatively speaking, but no flexibility in the system. Works on telco-return, too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I guess using HITS saves the cable company from installing an expensive Digital Headend, although I guess they are tied to the offerings of HITS. Suppose they wanted to add a channel like Discovery Wings, would it then be impossible?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
From what I'm to understand, it is impossible to do anything than what you can get through HITS. Our system launched HITS, which I think costs 10x more than HITS QT, but it'll let us launch VOD, HDTV, channels from other sources, interactive services... Probably be worth the investment in the long run.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Anybody Up North, On PERSONA Cable?

Just wondering if anyone can give any info re this outfit which seems to have the cable monopoly in Sudbury and Elliot Lake.

We are likely moving (from Scarborough) to EL in 2005-6 and are wondering if cable is even a realistic option, since we're on Rogers Digital HD here.

Checked Persona for EL and they don't even say what US network feeds they provide!

Really not looking forward to losing Rogers but can't stay in TO for retirement!

ANY info at all would be appreciated.

·
DHC Veteran
940 Posts
I'll see what info I can get for you. My brother-in-law works for Persona in Sudbury. It's been a while since I asked him about HD for Sudbury.

I pretty sure the American stations come from Detroit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, I do have relatives in Elliot Lake, also considering I was born there...

I can confirm that they do have Digital Cable in Elliot Lake, and that their US Stations come from a variety of places...

Their CBS Affiliate (WWUP) does come from Northern Michigan, its broadcast tower is out of Sault Ste. Marie,MI, but it seems to be a retransmitter out of Cadillac and Traverse City.

Their NBC Affiliate does come from Detroit (WDIV).

The FOX Affiliate is WUHF out of Rochester and their ABC affiliate is WGTQ, also out of Sault Ste. Marie (seems to be the same setup as the CBS affiliate as a retransmitter out of Traverse City).

They seem to have Timeshifting on Digital (I'm just actually looking at the Tvguide.ca listings for the area).

But you may want to give them a call directly, see what they say, but I think I can be positive in saying that they don't have HDTV :).

Ryan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks For The Info So Far

Guess I'll have to keep track and see how things develop with Persona in Elliot Lake.

If they don't have HD and enough timeshifting when I'm moving then I guess I'll have to go with BEV.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Retiring to EL

Maybe you should look at other potential locations to move to. Here in New Brunswick you can live in places like Fredericton, Saint John or Moncton (especially Moncton) and get virtually all the services that you would get in Ontario, live in the middle of every recreational area that you could ask for, and have Rogers to boot complete with Rogers High Speed or Aliant DSL. The cost of living would be at least as low as living in Northern Ontario if not lower, the climate in winter no where near as harsh and you are not that far from the US. We are limited here as far as OTA US signals are concerned. For instance, I live only 60 km from the border and only have access to 2 US TV signals (CBS and PBS) and only with a roof-top antenna. Both are digital but not HD. If you live right on the border as an acquaintence does down by McAdam NB then you can receive all of the Bangor, ME signals (rooftop only) if you are high enough elevation wise which does not include FOX. We do have access to cross-border shopping that is going to be a major issue now that our dollar is back up over 75 cents US. Bangor Mall has everything that you could ever want for shopping all in one area with both the mall and many stand-alone big box stores (Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc.) or what you would expect to find in Sault-Ste--Marie, MI.

That aside we do have a very good life out here. There is a reason why Maritimers retire back in the Maritimes outside of the fact they grew up here. Come down for a vacation and see what all the noise is about.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
badboy, your post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. If you want to discuss the virtues of the Maritimes, please start another thread in another forum.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Re: Anybody Up North, On PERSONA Cable?

Tembo said:
Just wondering if anyone can give any info re this outfit which seems to have the cable monopoly in Sudbury and Elliot Lake.

We are likely moving (from Scarborough) to EL in 2005-6 and are wondering if cable is even a realistic option, since we're on Rogers Digital HD here.

Checked Persona for EL and they don't even say what US network feeds they provide!

Really not looking forward to losing Rogers but can't stay in TO for retirement!

ANY info at all would be appreciated.
travisc, I might be dumb but from this starting posting Tembo asks for opinions regarding technology and his upcoming move to Eliott Lake. He says he cannot afford to stay in TO and doesn't want to lose Rogers. I have answered all of his questions with my posting. What I was giving him was other options that he may not have considered and still keep his Rogers and keep his expenses down.

So I figure I am totally on topic.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I guess you interpreted the thread differently. Whereas I saw it as "I'm moving to Elliot Lake, what's the deal with Persona", you saw it as "If Persona doesn't measure up, maybe I'll move somewhere else". Upon receiving some more information about Persona, he then indicated that he would probably have to go with BEV when he moved, not that he would have to move somewhere with a better cable provider.

·
Registered
284 Posts
OK Badboy and travisc

Thank you both for your posts. Actually by a strange coincidence the posts concerning the Maritimes really are relative in a roundabout way! My wife and I had considered New Brunswick (Retire Miramichi) and even got info on Rogers future plans for the area. However, we gave up because of very little medical care (walk-in-clinic only) available for new residents and limited reasonable housing (we pay $1183 rent in TO!).
So thank you both Badboy and Travisc - your posts were helpful!

·
Banned
60 Posts
you limited yourself

Tembo, you limited yourself only to the Miramichi? You should really look at Fredericton or Moncton. Our housing costs are extremely low compared to TO and we have everything you are looking for in a retirement location. Moncton is the more cosmopolitan location and Fredericton is a sleepy little community with very bad drivers.

BTW my house in the country is 10 years old and is 1856 sq. ft. 2 story with over an acre of land and it cost me only $118K. I am 20 minutes outside of Fredericton on the Saint John River.

·
DHC Veteran
940 Posts
Tembo,

This is what I got for info concerning Persona and HD. I'm assuming this is what you wanted to know.

The cable systems in Sudbury and Elliot Lake are seperate departments under the Persona umbrella.

In Sudbury, Persona currently has 3 HD channels, but only about 25 HD boxes available, and all the boxes are for employees. So basically, HD is in it's beta testing right now.

In Elliot Lake, they are not even that far. No HD what-so-ever, and no HD equipment.

Meaning, if you want HD in Elliot Lake, get Bell ExpressVu or Star Choice.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks NormL; more info please

Do you by any chance know which HD boxes Persona is testing in Sudbury? If they go the SA way I sure hope they learn from Rogers mistake and bypass the 3100HD, and maybe go for the 3270HD with DVI enabled!

Is there any way of finding what digital channels are available in Elliot Lake on Persona? I'm particularly interested in BBCWorld and BBC Canada, as well as DW TV, Discovery Wings, Deja, TV Land, plus the sports ones, Fox in particular. Also looking for all the timeshifting channels Rogers has!

Thanks again for the info! My wife and I both appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 215 Posts