Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use Periscope for iOS (and now Android)?

The application allows you to broadcast live video from your device. For example, we've seen people live tweet events: Protests, police action, events, etc. This application allows you to live broadcast instead. It's a Twitter app.

Please share your impressions and experiences...

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
^^^^ And have Bell say we are cheating and not using their news service????!!!

I actually wondered how much bandwidth it takes and if you can adjust the quality. For example my HTC might take a video at 1080p but would it send it at 1080p?

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Bell and their hyperbole of late.

There has been some controversy with Periscope though. HBO isn't pleased that people broadcast premiere parties for their shows.

With respect to bandwidth and quality, I haven't yet found any controls to adjust these. It's high bandwidth though...probably puts out whatever your device is capable of generating. I've seen complaints that it chews through battery very fast, which suggests that it's data-intensive.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
So not really worthwhile yet until they iron out the bugs?
I know there was controversy regarding the PPV fight between Paquiao and Mayweather because of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
U2 is using a similar app called Meerkat to live broadcast portions of their concerts on the current tour. They actually hand a smartphone to an audience member who films them with the app, and it is broadcast on the screens in the concert venue, as well as live streamed over the internet via Meerkat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts