Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
The North American pricing of K-5 is a bit strange as the prices in Europe are in-line with the D7000. At least in Canada it's no more than in the US.

Anyway, once the cameras start coming into stores, the market will determine the street price.

The K-5 is a nice camera but is it worth $300 more than the D7000.
To me it is. My Pentax lenses won't work on the Nikon :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
The K-5 is a nice camera but is it worth $300 more than the D7000.
I don't think the Canadian MSRP will reflect street prices, especially considering the d300s is available for less at the moment. Nevertheless the build of the K5 is more comparable to the d300 than the d7000. Fully sealed with a full magnesium alloy body and steel frame - the d7000 is magnesium alloy only for the back and top plate, the rest is plastic.
They both have the same sensor it looks like, Pentax has boosted it to iso 51,200 though how the IQ will compare to the d7000 will be interesting.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had my K-5 for a couple of weeks now. I'm very pleased with it. It's a major improvement over my 4-year-old K10D in the areas of high ISO and auto-focus speed. I have no qualms using ISO 3200 when needed. Low-light autofocus is much faster and more accurate as well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It seems really awesome, but it is nowhere to be found here, and there is no known appearance date - although the salesrep people are mighty excited about it. What lenses do you use?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ive seen it in the 2 big camera stores in my city. Though very limited supply.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think availability depends on regional demand for Pentax products; at least that's the story here (i.e. demand not great).

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos Veee; what aperture (f stop) did you use on the last park scene; the depth of field suggests in was more than 2.8 Is your Vivitar lens recent, or is it the famous 70-210 manufactured in the early 80's by Kiron (Kino Precision Industries in Japan)?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks Tanta. The last picture was at F2.8.

The Vivitar is a 70-210 2.8-4.0 (Version 3 made by Komine in 1985) It's one of the more desirable versions of this lens because it has the "A" aperture ring setting.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Veee, I have 3 K mount 'M' Series lenses; a 50 mm f2 Pentax SMC, a 28mm f2.8 Takumar and a 80-200mm Kiron. I am wondering how practical these would be to use on the K-5 since they are fully manual. I am also still waiting for a full review of the new 18-135 mm Pentax Zoom lens.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Using fully manual lenses is pretty easy. You first need to go into the menu and select "using aperture ring" since there is no "A" aperture setting with manual lenses. This allows you to manual select the aperture on the lens and the camera will read it. Then you can meter the shot in manual mode. In manual mode you can get the camera to meter the shot for you simply by pressing the little green button below the rear dial. This stops down the lens and gives you a preview of the shot in the LCD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old K10D user new K-5

I hope someone out there can help me with this. I am an old K10D user who have a lot of inconsistent flash exposures with my 540FGZ flash. Is it something that I am doing wrong or something inherent with the camere/flash/ or digital photography. By inconsistent I mean that I will get gross overexposures and gross underexposures shooting the same scene perhaps one after the other.:confused: Is this a popular complaint? I am about to buy a K-5 to help me solve this mystery. I recently sent the falsh to Pentax for servicing and recalibration so I kno the flash is fine

·
Registered
700 Posts
Veee, I finally got the k-5 - just as the full review appears on dpreview- At 375 pages, the manual is large, but still too succint on some aspects. I am wondering if the following is 'normal' behaviour:
If you activate Live View and half press on the shutter button to focus, the 18-55 DA WR lens travels to maximum zoom and back by itself with autofocus set to the default 'face seeking' mode. Does the lens do this when the autofocus is set to say 'phase contrast' mode? The craftmanship on this camera is really awesome!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts