Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just called 1-866-879-7179.

They said "Peachtree TV has been removed from the Cogeco Cable Line-up, this is because of a contractual issue with channel provider."
Yeah, you tell me this 3 days after it's removed? :rolleyes:
Come on..
At least some help was given to me today while the phones didn't have a dial tone in the Burlington region.. I didn't have to wait 15 minutes to speak with someone, they just said on a recording: "We've been having problems with the digital phones today and you just need a small pin and reboot your RCA modem" I'm glad you gave me help! :eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
i called 611 today from my cogeco phone, and it had an intercept message for peachtree. i pressed one and it directed me to an agent immediately, and the short of it is, he told me they are negotiating still to bring it back as the response has been "out of this world" as he put it. so maybe we'll have it back soon :)

·
Banned
364 Posts
How about the REAL TBS and TNT? In HD?

Of course, those are actually good (and would give us NCAA tournament games seen half-assed on TSN), so the CRTC would NEVER approve watchable content for Canadian viewers.

We need syndicated shows like Seinfeld, which are hard to find elsewhere.

The phone calls are probably all from seniors missing Matlock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone get anywhere trying to negotiate a price reduction or the addition of an a la carte/tier at a reduced rate?
Recieved a credit on my account for what it would cost to subscribe to the channel seperatly for 4 months.

Said it should work out to be about 4 to 6 dollars, not much but at least they know I'll be calling everytime they do this.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Recieved a credit on my account for what it would cost to subscribe to the channel seperatly for 4 months.

Said it should work out to be about 4 to 6 dollars, not much but at least they know I'll be calling everytime they do this.
Thats the equivalent to at least one beer, so worth it in my books ;-)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm thinking bigoranget may be right - I scanned through the Rogers, Videotron and Shaw forums and I didn't see anything about this (Rogers viewers were miffed at losing WNLO and, when I had Cogeco, we didn't even get that!) and Cogeco was, if not the last, one of the few who doesn't have TCM.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
bigoranget said:
My guess is the contract for WPCH (Peachtree TV) expired and Time Warner will only renew if Cogeco carries Turner Classic Movies. My assumption is that Turner probably wants Cogeco to place Turner Classic Movies in a high subscriber package.
Interesting theory ... and if true ... GOOD!

That would be an interesting twist indeed - COGECO, the cable company, being forced to accept TCM-Turner Classic Movies in the "PACKAGE" - or else not get the other channel that they want on their network (WPCH Peachtree TV).

The cable company subjected, itself, to the dreaded "PACKAGING" it subjects it's own customers too.

And in this case - finally giving their customers TCM - even if it MUST be in a high subscriber package - at least it will be there.

I think COGECO customers have been asking for TCM for quite some time (years), but never getting any positive result from their cable providor. I have been reading posts going back quite some time about this particular subject.

ROGERS in Ottawa has TCM on analog channel 57 - and it's good - if you like older movies - plus it's professionally done with no commercials during the movie, and excellent commentary between.

But COGECO - why nothing? No TCM given all the requests?

I have started a COGECO KINGSTON thread - and it's mostly just me posting in there so far ... but I have family and friends in Kingston ... and COGECO in Kingston ... man ... my family and relatives would enjoy some of that better content ... and so would I, when I am in Kingston myself, on my days off, visiting etc.

I have approached COGECO directly in Kingston, at their office in the Cataraqui Town Centre Mall ... encouraging them to search around for some additional good content for Kingston ... cause it seems to me Kingston is a little isolated ... and getting LESS .

If your theory is true, BigOrangeT, then GOOD for Time Warner !

Good move Time Warner ... stick it to COGECO! Force it to them with a "PACKAGE" - just like COGECO / and other Cable Co's force channels and higher prices to their customers ... with "packages".

At least maybe this way ... COGECO customers across COGECO LAND will finally be able to get TCM - Turner Classic Movies - somehow.

About time ... and thanks TIME ! (warner)

(lets see if it happens ... if the theory is true)

COGECO ? TCM ? YES? NO?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Now ...

I wonder if there were a way for me to try and research the COGECO -Peachtree ch/ TCM ch - Time Warner theory furthur - to try and confirm what is happening with this issue.

Probably that information and discussion is very private and confidential.

Idea:

What if I contact Time Warner directly, research correct dept, and say how great PCH and TCM is ... and that in light of recent developments (loss of PCH ch on COGECO), it would be really nice to have both PCH and TCM on COGECO everywhere, in all Cogeco's territories... because we've never had TCM too ... and would really like to have it. (?)

Cogeco's not listening to my (& others') requests for TCM ... it has been quite some time now (years?) ... so maybe it is time I contacted the supplier (Time Warner?) and ask if there is anything they can do from their end of things.

I will have to think about that one ... and do some more research.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Does anyone think its a positive sign that Peachtree is still listed in the guide with that saying on the screen?

·
Registered
606 Posts
So I take it nothing has changed? Channel gone (I assume for good) and replaced with nothing for the same price unless you complain?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I take it nothing has changed? Channel gone (I assume for good) and replaced with nothing for the same price unless you complain?
Well yes the channel is gone for now, but it is still showing up on the guide so it could be a sign that Cogeco is negotiating to bring back it, not sure tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No rebate is better than price increase!

I find it funny that everyone is complaining that they want a credit for losing one channel... a channel that mainly comprised of reruns of syndicated shows (Seinfeld, Friends, Family Guy,etc) that you can find on a lot of other channels (okay maybe not necessarily on the same time slot). And on weekends it just played back old movies that were "edited for TV". Did it ever occur to these people that maybe Cogeco is trying to SAVE you from having to pay a drastic rate increase for a channel that had redundant programming? Peachtree was trying to gouge service providers to carry their channel and of course the cost of that would have to be downloaded onto the customer. Rogers and Bell have big pockets and can probably eat that cost for awhile, but Cogeco's a smaller cable company. It's hard enough to keep from increasing rates due to the ever increasing gas prices and the cost to run the fleet. So far, from what I saw, the rate increases that have happened were to offset the cost of providing all the new additional services like increasing VOD content and additional HD channels that are still growing. I'm very happy to have NFL network and now NFL network HD... channels that I thought I could only ever get on a dish. By saying you haven't had Peachtree "replaced" by something else is just because nothing new has been placed in that channel slot, but Cogeco is constantly adding new channels. Albeit, they are in different packages, and some of you who only subscribe to basic have good reason for wanting another channel in it's place. But I'm sure they will eventually replace it with something if they can't negotiate something with Peachtree.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
If Cogeco removed the channel and then went to subs and said, hey we are dumping a channel cause they want a rate increase and since we are dumping it we are now taking X off the cost of that tier/package, then no one would be complaining. The problem for many is that they are removing content and keeping the price the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1

Not to mention all the sports they had on Peachtree. E.G.- Baseball and SEC teams.

Edit: Sorry, that was directed towards alebowgm.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm slightly shocked that it looks like Peachtree is gone for good. This coupled with the fact Cogeco has to be the only provider left that doesn't carry TCM makes me think they're in a long term dispute with Time Warner.

Really is there a cable co anywhere in North America that's in a long term carriage dispute with Time Warner like Cogeco appears to be in with them?

I'm hoping TW plays hardball and when their contract is up for renewal with Astral for HBO Canada they require Astral not to include HBO Canada in Cogeco areas.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
That would be interesting to see, because I thought that Astral + Corus just had a naming agreement + programming agreement with Time Warner, not an ownership interest.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Remarkable...I hope Time-Warner plays hardball with them for the channels they have left with Cogeco. According to talk in the Bell v Shaw Direct thread in the main forums Bell is apparently not giving access to Cogeco for things like Space HD.

Seriously - every other provider can work out deals with Time-Warner for Peachtree and TCM? Kinda shows that Cogeco might rather uppity in dealing with people generally.

Heck just ask Teksavvy...

I wonder if the competition might just crush Cogeco for fun and pick up the pieces for pennies on the dollar.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts