Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pioneer vsx 1325 shows only PCM when playing BD through PS3. Should I get some better receiver Yamaha? I will appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
I assume you have the older PS3, not the PS3 slim and that you're connected via HDMI to the AVR. The older PS3 cannot bistream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA to the AVR, so the decoding of these formats must be done in the PS3 and Multi-Channel PCM is then sent to the AVR. This is still lossless audio, with the decoding done in the PS3 and you'll never see Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA displayed on the AVR from the older PS3.

This is discussed in the following FAQ on AVR features - the HDMI/HD audio section near the end.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

Useful post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Yes, my PS3 is old one. So PCM is good then.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yup, as 57 said, you are receiving lossless audio just via decoded PCM.

I have an old PS3 and it sounds great. FYI, while the film is playing, hit "Display" on the PS3 remote, and the display will show you what audio format the PS3 is decoding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ScooterMcTavish. Yes, I checked at and it displays the proper audio format.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question on audio calibration. Where should place the micophone?
In the center or near the seating area? I am guessing it should be near we sit to watch TV. I will appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
I suggest you read the Operating Manual section regarding MCACC. Some of these require several positions for the mic with the first being at your primary seating position.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts