Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMD, Dell, Intel Corporation, Lenovo, Samsung Electronics LCD Business and LG Display today announced intentions to accelerate adoption of scalable and lower power digital interfaces such as DisplayPort and High-Definition Multimedia Interface® (HDMI) into the PC.
Intel and AMD expect that analog display outputs such as Video Graphics Array (VGA) and the low voltage differential signaling technology (LVDS) panel interface would no longer be supported in their product lines by 2015. HDMI has increasingly been included in new PCs for easy connection to consumer electronics devices. DisplayPort is expected to become the single PC digital display output for embedded flat panels, PC monitors and projectors.
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2010/12/08/leading-pc-companies-move-to-all-digital-display-technology-phasing-out-analog

So, the end of an era is coming soon.

·
Banned
310 Posts
"DisplayPort" seems like a big fiasco to me. We already have DVI and HDMI to carry digital video and PC manufacturers need yet another proprietary video connection?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
DVI and HDMI have limitations for PC video and sound. If we want to go far beyond 1920x1080, something else is required. If I connect using the HDMI port on my monitor, all it will use is standard HDTV resolutions, even though it will go higher than that. The DVI port supports higher resolutions but does not support sound. DisplayPort should remove limitations imposed by earlier interfaces.

VGA does not work well with digital monitors at all. It's shortcomings are not obvious with analog signals, such as TV, but it's inaccurate and inefficient for digital sources. I hope that monitors retain VGA for backward compatibility but I won't miss it on new PCs. A quick look at new video cards shows that VGA is missing on many of them.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Well I wouldn't call 2015 soon.

I don't think I've hooked up a monitor using VGA in about five years.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well, just when you thought things might settle down for a few years, get ready for the next great computer interconnect to replace all other computer interconnects...Light Peak.

Light Peak is touted to replace SCSI, SATA, USB, FireWire, PCI Express and HDMI amongst others in a bid to reduce the amount of ports on computer peripherals.

More Info:
From Intel and Wikipedia.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One of the main reasons for needing a display port, or adapter for it, is a mac.

The only benefit of adding displayports, are mostly for mac's. I'd suggest more hdmi, and include an adapter.

I want like peak!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
in a bid to reduce the amount of ports on computer peripherals.
Except that all the old ports and all the new ports must be present for several years to maintain compatibility. Then, by the time today's new port is universally available, someone has invented several new ones that must be added. Do you think it will stop at USB3, SATA3, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort or even Light Peak? Hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Try buying a KVM switch that supports DVI, HDMI or Display port and you will pay a wee bit of a premium. I just bought a new mobo for an i5 CPU and the mobo still has a PS/2 port for keyboard/mouse. so I think we will still be seeing VGA ports on new devics for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't think I've hooked up a monitor using VGA in about five years.
VGA is still pretty common among the installed base of projectors and displays. Whenever I go to a hotel or association boardroom to hook up my laptop for a presentation, it is almost always compatible with VGA. The last hotel I was at said that they had 5 projectors with VGA and one that supported HDMI. I personally have never seen anything that supports DisplayPort.

Whenever a new technology comes out, many businesses don't run out to upgrade everything immediately (or even non-immediately).

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
If I am reading this right, dropping LVDS (the connection most laptop display panels use), means that LCD display panels, will by default be HDMI, which means it would be easier hacking to use other displays (you just need to get one that fits), or using laptop displays for something else, which right now is not feasable.

The HDMI cable, AFAIK, supports more than just HDTV resolutions.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
many businesses don't run out to upgrade everything immediately
Display systems used by business can be quite expensive. I've seen some in the $5,000 to $10,000 price range so that isn't something that is going to be replaced unless necessary. VGA is still probably the most universal display method. All but the newest, high end video cards will accept an HDMI to VGA adapter. Many, based on older designs, still have a VGA port.

VGA is still pretty common among the installed base of projectors and displays.
Many early LCD displays were VGA only. HDMI was only available on more expensive models. I would guess that a lot of businesses were early adopters of LCD (due to energy saving programs) and still have displays that are VGA only. The next big move will likely be to replace fluorescent backlit displays with LED backlit displays to save more energy.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
VGA is still pretty common among the installed base of projectors and displays.
True so presumably that is the reason for the 2015 cut-off for support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts