Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Re-reading the Nears reg hack, I just realized I skipped a step. I'll give it another go.

Stampeder, who knows an awful lot about this, thinks that CIVT like their Toronto station, has stopped mapping their actual broadcast channel from 33.1 to 32.1

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re-reading the Nears reg hack, I just realized I skipped a step. I'll give it another go.
Hi guys sorry I didn't jump in earlier, I've been on the road.

See this article for troubleshooting steps on MCE, will probably help you to debug your issue:
http://www.thenears.com/archives/155

As soon as I get my Vista RTM installed I'm going to redo the reg hack post with updated info and screenshots. The critical step that's missing in there right now is restarting of the scheduler service. If you reboot, there are no problems but it you only restart the service then I'm afraid the guide doesn't work properly. Like I said, to be updated within the week.

Pete

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for the help AZ & PN.

Once I followed ALL of the steps, it worked fine. Only problem, it stutters badly. This doesn't happen when I use the ATI TV tuner software. So I'm pretty sure it's a problem with MCE.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Stuttering in MCE could be caused by video performance, but the card you have is pretty modern. Are you running at a very high resolutions? Do you have the latest drivers? What MPEG-2 decoder is installed (download and run this app to check for sure http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en)

The differences between the ATI software and MCE are:
- they probably use different MPEG2 decoders
- they use different screen-drawing mechanisms, MCE using the more performance intensive VMR
- MCE is more picky about the stream data

Please check the above questions, then maybe you can send me a short .ts clip to analyze for you.

Oh, and this shouldn't impact you at this point but I finished updating the ATSC hack. Article is here now: http://www.thenears.com/archives/216

Pete

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for all of the help. I don't want to abuse your hospitality so I'll try a few more things before I scream for help.

I have a ATI All in Wonder X600Pro and HDTV Wonder on an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with Athlon 64 X2 3800. (Why I'd put an ATI card into an SLI capable motherboard is another story!) Unbelievably, I can record standard TV while playing Prince of Persia, or another DVR file or a DVD. All virtually impossible on my previous system using a single core Athlon 64 3200 on an ASUS A8N SLI. (I really like this board!)

So to answer some of your questions:

• I run at 1360 x 768
  • I have Catalyst 6.7 and will try upgrading to 6.11. All other ATI drivers and software are up to date. I think this might be the solution
  • The decoder checkup utility is great. Thanks for the link.
  • The CyberLink Video/SP decoder is MP10 and MCE compatible at is the preferred decoder.
  • The stutter appears in smaller windows as well. It is like a dropped frame every second or two.
Some other interesting things,
  • The ATI software runs 15-20 % CPU predominately on one core
  • MCE runs ~50% on both cores. (I've seen some posts about this and will check further)
  • AC3Filter doesn't record any frame errors. I uninstalled it just in case, but no improvement.
  • methodically removed background processes/services, no improvement
I'll continue troubleshooting and post my findings.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Athlon X2 Dual-core Timing Problems

The bad news was that most of the "fixes" I found on the Net didn't help with the ATI HDTV Wonder stuttering in MCE. But, disabling AMD Cool and Quiet in the BIOS did fix an audio/video sync problem in Prince of Persia, the Two Thrones. I'm beginning to doubt that the dual core is the problem. Microsoft, more than anyone should know how to use the

These are the things I tried:
  • Set CPU affinity for the "ehshell" process to one core
  • Set thread priority to high for ehshell
  • disabled background processes, DaemonTools, Soundman, VirusScan,Remote Wonder,Plextools, Logitech Setpoint,Wingman, etc.
  • Updated to AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver 1.3.2.16
  • Installed AMD Optimizer (didn't help with timing in games)
  • Disabled Cool and Quiet in BIOS (fixed game timing)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm a little hesitant to change codecs on a stable system. Their software only appears to support Nvidia products. If I decide to, I'l definitely post my results.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Unfortunately, some recent updates didn't stop the stuttering when viewing OTA HDTV.

I installed the October 2006 Update Rollup for Windows XP Media Center Edition

And upgraded from Catalyst 6.9 & MMC 9.15 to Catalyst 6.12 & MMC 9.16. However, there were no updates for the DVD/DTV decoder and the drivers for the HDTV Wonder which may explain why the problem persists.

I'll keep you posted if there is any progress.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Still No Progress.

Despite my reservations, I installed the NVidia PureVideo codec and set it as the preferred decoder. GraphEdit shows it in the filter chain, but it doesn't stop the video from stuttering.

Next, installed KB896256 to resolve timing issues with dual core CPUs. Again, no improvement.

As long as I can use the ATI software as a workaround, I'm not too worried about not getting my HDTV Wonder to work in Media Center.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need some help: ATI HDTV Wonder Problems

I bought a ATI HDTV Wonder card a few months ago and the regular digital cable tv has been working pretty well. However, I just hooked up the HDTV antenna and it has been pretty choppy, stuttering on each channel. I download watchHDTV and tried that, because ATIs DTV program automatically records each channel for some reason and I can't figure out how to turn that off.

Anyways, it stutters, and I can't figure out the reason. The antenna reception is anywhere from 65% to 90%. Would that be a good reason? What are some ways to improve this?

Thanks,
Brian

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Hi Brian, welcome here and first of all can you put your location into your DHC user profile - it helps us to help you.

Second, I've merged your post into this thread where there are lots of previous posts that might be of help to you. The folks in this thread will be able to offer you better advice on your ATI card than I can, but regarding OTA TV please click on the links in this post to get a better understanding:

141 - 155 of 155 Posts