Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Agreed Montana may be easier to lock, but the signal level is lower than the other PBS signals.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I don't think his issues with montana have much to do with what's in the yard. I can reproduce an issue with mine too. But not sure it is the same issue he is having. I have two devices that use the same m88ts2022 tuner and m88ds3103 demod here. The dvbsky uses a different usb bridge module than the one that is tuning montana reliably. I think it has to do with the low bandwidth of the signal.
the dvbsky seems to struggle on dvb-s2 signals of low symbol rate for some reason, while the other device I have doesn't.

aliexpress says there's a seller with them, if ya searched for "GENIATECH Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 TV Box USB HD TV BOX" $43 USD

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Okay, didn.'t understand your post probably because of the 3 rum and cokes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As for current cards, I've searched high and low to see what was available besides TBS hardware. Eventually stumbled on the "Sundtek SkyTV Ultimate Dual" but besides that, it's like OTA hardware, there seems to be a dearth of FTA computer tuners. I can't believe how many searches I did before the Sundek bubbled up.
the dual s2 tuners are pretty good for tvheadend, we're also working close with customers for that part.
It's quite difficult to get everything sorted out with customers since there are so many different use-cases.
TVHeadend is nice since it also makes use of the partial standby feature of the tuner, Linux VDR needs some configuration to release the devices so they can enter standby.

There's a fundamental difference between our tuners and other ones, our drivers run on application level not in kernelspace which makes one driver per architecture possible (and independent of kernel drivers).
Also the Tuner itself uses an FPGA for multiplexing with tons of caching memory (far beyond anything current USB ASICs are able to deliver) which can easily catch system hickups.
Our DVB software stack is now almost 13 years old as well. So updating the system usually won't require a driver update (also it doesn't interfere with legacy tv tuners/webcams).

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I was able to get the dvbsky to behave normally on that transponder by extending a counter.
Again I don't know whether his issue was the same as mine, as he isn't running the same kernel module
as I am. In any event, doesn't look like any hardware issue or anything.
pic on the left is dvbsky on x86_64, pic on the right is gentech hdstar/pi4. Could have just been a coincidence that the dvbsky was connected to faster x86_64 platform, allowing it to time out quicker before obtaining a lock on the skinny bandwidth signal.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
sundtek,
is it partially or fully supported in crazyscan on a windows platform?
Meaning, 'spectrum scan', then click on an interesting signal to tune?
I have enough devices here already, so just curious..

·
Registered
6 Posts
sundtek,
is it partially or fully supported in crazyscan on a windows platform?
Meaning, 'spectrum scan', then click on an interesting signal to tune?
I have enough devices here already, so just curious..
No not with the dual tuners, but there are some 4x (USB 2.0) and 8x (USB 3.0) tuners upcoming which will be able to do that.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
"I'll let ya know when changes make their way to the pi tree."
The necessary changes for tbs5930 support, straight from tbs, were added to the raspberrypi tree located here. 5930 Untested... But be interested in knowing if it works OK.
and to the x86_64 kernel located here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
@majortom: I have ordered an SD card for my raspi 3b+ and should be able to test that disk image you pointed to in post #9 Real Soon Now. I'll try both the S960 and the '5930. Anything special I should be aware of?

@sundtek: I have searched for the linux driver packages; can you confirm if the 850 bytes (!) .deb file found on this page:
is indeed what actually downloads the driver?

I'd prefer to make sure I can download them before looking into purchasing a "SkyTV Ultimate Dual" adapter. It would be nice to have another device that has drivers that are not broken by a simple OS/software update. Two questions about the device: (1) is it safe to assume the AC adapter is capable of running on 60Hz/110V? (2) do you know what would it cost, roughly, to ship one of these devices to Canada?

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
"Anything special I should be aware of?"
Only thing I can think of, but you probably already know since you are an Arch Linux user, is that since the image was created Feb 2020... Since Arch is a rolling distro, it is going to have a lot of packages that have updated in the repo since then. So if ya did a pacman -Syu to update all the packages in the image, it is going to take a long time. Sure ur aware of all that though. I generally try to update here every couple months.
You can also look in /etc/pacman.conf, and see if pacman is being told to Ignore kernel updates.
I think it is, in the image...
Let me know if you have any issue updating the kernel on the image, as it's old and obviously won't have the tbs5930 in it yet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
since you are an Arch Linux user, is that since the image was created Feb 2020...
Huh, my TVHE box runs on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

I did try Arch Linux for FTA/OTA (on x86), but that was years ago.

But back to that raspi image: so I should expect a lot of updates after booting into it for the 1st time. Good to know. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
OK, don't kill urself with the old image...
I spent some time yesterday updating it, so it will be having all updated arch linux packages, and an updated kernel, to Linux 5.10.52-1-udlv7+ (new kernel adds the tbs5930 support)
So if you wait, it should all be working out of the box, ready for you to test...
I’ll send you a link to test when it is ready…

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
tmp, sent u a pm with a link to the newest pi image for you to test the tbs5930.
You are welcome to try tvheadend (already installed), and the updateDVB Qt based tuning app, etc.
But I am really just interested in that your tbs5930
a.) basically initializes OK and
b.) ur able to tune TPs.
For tuning we include a simple tuning program that handles Satellite, ATSC and DVB-T tuning.
all it does is tune.
for example, to tune the pbs TP... ('q' to quit).

Bash:
tune-s2 12180 V 30000 -2                                            
Attempt #1 to connect to gpsd at localhost...
LNB: low: 10750 high: 0 switch: 0
opening: /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
frontend: (TurboSight TBS 6903 DVB-S/S2 ) fe_type (0)
fmin 250 MHz                  
fmax 2150 MHz                    
min_sr 100 Ksps                                                                  
max_sr 67500 Ksps
LOW band  
22khz ON  
daemonize -> no (0)

Tuning specs:  
System:     DVB-S
Frequency:  12180 V 30000
22khz:      ON
Modulation: QPSK
FEC:        AUTO
Inversion:  AUTO
Rolloff:    AUTO
Pilot:      AUTO
Tuned specs:    
System:     DVB-S2 6
Frequency:  12177 V 29996
22khz:      ON
Modulation: 8PSK 9
FEC:        3/4 3                                                                
Inversion:  ON 1                                                                
Rolloff:    20 1  
Pilot:      OFF 0    
FRAME_LEN:  LONG 0
Bandwidth:  35.9952 MHz
Data Rate:  66.1412 Mbps
CN Failure: 7.9 dB

status Locked | signal -38.7 dBm | snr 13.4 dB | ber 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
  status Locked | signal -38.7 dBm | snr 14.4 dB | ber 0 | FE_HAS_LOCK
and here's an example tuning a ATSC signal via one of my atsc devices.
Bash:
tune-s2 20 N 1000 -adapter 4
Attempt #1 to connect to gpsd at localhost...
LNB: low: 10750 high: 0 switch: 0
opening: /dev/dvb/adapter4/frontend0
frontend: (MN88436 ATSC/QAMB frontend) fe_type (3)
fmin 44 MHz
fmax 1002 MHz
min_sr 0 Ksps
max_sr 0 Ksps
LOW band
daemonize -> no (0)
t->freq = 509000

Tuning specs:
System:     ATSC
Frequency:  509000
Modulation: VSB_8

Tuned specs:
System:     ATSC 11
Frequency:  509000
Modulation: VSB_8 7
Inversion:  OFF 0

status Locked | signal -68.4 dBm | snr 23.1 dB | ber 399740443 | FE_HAS_LOCK
  status Locked | signal -68.5 dBm | snr 25.9 dB | ber 399740443 | FE_HAS_LOCK
Closing frontend ...
Disconnect from gpsd ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
@majortom: I have ordered an SD card for my raspi 3b+ and should be able to test that disk image you pointed to in post #9 Real Soon Now. I'll try both the S960 and the '5930. Anything special I should be aware of?

@sundtek: I have searched for the linux driver packages; can you confirm if the 850 bytes (!) .deb file found on this page:
is indeed what actually downloads the driver?

I'd prefer to make sure I can download them before looking into purchasing a "SkyTV Ultimate Dual" adapter. It would be nice to have another device that has drivers that are not broken by a simple OS/software update. Two questions about the device: (1) is it safe to assume the AC adapter is capable of running on 60Hz/110V? (2) do you know what would it cost, roughly, to ship one of these devices to Canada?

Cheers,
The current driver:
sundtek_installer_210803.071224.sh 44231.59 kb
X86 (32/64bit), ARM (32/64bit), MIPS, SH4, PPC (all in one file).
I recommend the netinstaller, it will pick the correct driver for the particular architecture.

The binary for the actual architecture needs 5mb.

All customers use the same driver regardless of the kernel version, so if a bug is reported we usually work it out and updating it is easy for everyone (just run the netinstall script again or reinstall the same debian package which just calls the netinstall script in the background).

The installation:
cd /tmp
sudo -s #switch to admin
wget http://sundtek.de/media/sundtek_netinst.sh
chmod 777 sundtek_netinst.sh
./sundtek_netinst.sh

it's just installing a pre-compiled binary and is done within 10 seconds.

the powersupply supports 110-230V (the output is 12V 1.5-2A (depending which PSU is sent)).
The dual tuners require less than 500mA @ 5V the AC adapter is only for the LNB power supply.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@majortom: as i said in my pm, will be finally burning the image to that sd card i ordered and will be testing asap.

please stay tuned.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
After having some difficulty flashing the sdcard (windows 10 refused to see the SD card, but my macbook saw it right away. Not sure why, yet) and resizing the partition from 5GB to ~32GB, discovered the hard way that the distro's video server on the pi3+ didn't like monitors that aren't 1080p. Once I plugged the pi on the Toshiba 40" in my living room, I saw that the the built-in NIC is not recognised and the boot process hangs there... Confirmed with the internal router's DHCP client list, the pi3+'s absence is glaring.

See attached boot screen.

(Ed.) This Pi's NIC works fine, as I was using it until very recently as an SDR server.

Computer Font Display device Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Take the 'config.txt' from your known working sd card, and copy it over to the
/boot directory of this one. That will have all of the rpi configuration options setup the same way,
so your more comfortable.
There is nothing special about it from one rpi distro to the next, so it should be portable.
For me, I use the same config.txt file anytime I switch SD Cards.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Copied over the config.txt from the sdr server card to the new one.
Quick tell-tale sign there #is# a difference: video is in overscan now (missing most of the 1st raspberry and the very top of all of them).
Boots proceeds, the text scrolls quickly... and stops in the same spot ("random: crng init done")...
Actually, if there is text below this, it's below the lower, physical boundary of the display and I can't see it.

Just to make sure the pi somehow didn't go bad on me during its unused time on the shelf, I put in the sdr server card in it and booted it: it works, I could ssh into it.

So am not sure what's happening with the image I downloaded. Should I try the older one, even if it means the Mother Of All Updates at first boot?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
tmp, I took a blank SD card and burned it, as downloaded, didn't change the config.txt at all,
and booted the pi3b. It's connected to a TV, but I normally run it headless.
I can confirm it does the same thing for me in mine. It wasn't like that when handed off to get
shrunk down some more, so must have somehow mucked it up. I'll send ya another pm, shortly...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just booted the older image (the first one you pointed at, via Ricks Satellite Wildfeed and Backhaul Forum, it works!
Now at the GUI, not seeing a graphical software updater, so I guess I'll have to use pacman (? right name?) to do this from the CLI. Anything special I should be aware of before doing an update... or even on how to do an update on a raspberry pi?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts