Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian members with PBS Passport can view most Passport content on PBS.org.

Although we will be expanding our PBS Passport library for Canadian Passport members, there may be a small number of shows that will be restricted to the U.S. or have slightly different availability windows. PBS must obtain the streaming rights for every program offered on our site, and these rights can be different between the US and Canada.

Currently, PBS Passport in Canada is only available for viewing on supported web browsers and on the PBS Video channel. In the near future, we plan to expand PBS Passport viewing onto other device platforms, but currently the PBS Video app is unavailable for most devices in Canada.

Currently, only the PBS stations listed here offer the Passport benefit to Canadian residents and members. (this seems to cover most border stations)

Each station can set their own qualifications for Passport, but most stations give the benefit to members who donate at least $60 a year, or $5 Sustainer/Ongoing-monthly gifts. Because every PBS station is different, please contact your local station or visit their website to learn more about your PBS station's Passport qualifications.

Thanks to andyk.

·
Registered
832 Posts
According to an email I received from KCTS/9, it is now available on Roku. I do not have Roku, so can’t verify.

·
Registered
155 Posts
According to an email I received from KCTS/9, it is now available on Roku. I do not have Roku, so can’t verify.
Yes, there is a PBS app available on Roku. There is not a single PBS iOS app (yet?) but there appears to be an app for each (or at least several) PBS station. WNED, KCTS, WPBS and others have iPhone & iPad apps but not on the AppleTV.

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$5/month is pretty cheap for a PBS membership, no free trial though ;)

Plus I think you have to have an Amazon Prime membership before you can subscribe to Amazon Prime Channels.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

Plus I think you have to have an Amazon Prime membership before you can subscribe to Amazon Prime Channels.
Lots of great stuff on PBS. Lots. Just watched ‘Bombshell: The Hedy Lemar Story’
Wow. Was that fascinating, especially if she DID invent what she did...

·
Registered
155 Posts

The Prime Channel is PBS Mastermind. I'm not sure if you can see other PBS shows like Nova or Nature.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
So if you pay for PBS with your cable subscription you cannot stream. I've tried and find there approach to be unfair. Other networks allow you to login using your cable company credentials. PBS should do the same.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
PBS is an American service. Canadian cable companies pay nothing to PBS to carry their service. The other networks that allow you to login with your cable company credentials are Canadian and are all generally owned by a BDU. PBS being member supported they are treating their American and Canadian contributors the same way. If are a member at a certain level you get to stream from their library.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
So if you pay for PBS with your cable subscription you cannot stream. I've tried and find there approach to be unfair. Other networks allow you to login using your cable company credentials. PBS should do the same.
Canadian BDUs essentially keep all the money they collect for carrying OTA networks. Paying next to nothing for the basic product you sell and making people pay extra to get other services they want is a nice business model if you can get away with it. I think US stations get a copyright royalty fee from being on Canadian BDUs but it's tiny compared to carriage fees or some networks' advertising revenues. PBS relies on member subscriptions to survive. They are a public supported, non-profit broadcaster, not a commercial, for profit network.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you for the info. I was looking for this in May and gave up. I love PBS, especially the Newshour. I only watch PBS & TVO, so I was hoping to get passport and drop the satellite.

Too bad the PBS Passport app didn't designate the Canadian access programmes as KCTS9 did. One wonders which stations allow which programmes Canadian access; or are the ones listed on KCTS9 straight across all PBS stations?
Anyways, a good deal for $60. U.S. Thank you.
M.M.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
As a general rule, only programming that PBS has Canadian or world rights for will be streamed. That would include most programs produced exclusively by PBS and others for which PBS has purchased the Canadian rights. Other programming, such as those made by independent studios, the BBC or CBC will sometimes be licensed to Canadian broadcasters and will not be available for streaming from PBS.

Not sure if it applies to all programming but a lot of programming is licensed by PBS itself and local stations pay PBS for their use. That indicates that there is a national component but individual stations tend to only carry programming popular in their area so availability will vary by station.

·
Super Moderator
17,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking for this in May and gave up.
I don't think this was available in May. I think that any programming that PBS has the Canadian rights for will be available to all Passport subscribers, whether their local PBS station chose to broadcast the program or not. That means the KCTS list should apply to all Canadians, as long as the station you choose to support is on the link in post 1.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You could receive PBS via free-to-air (FTA) satellite legally and unrestricted direct from geosynchronous satellites to your home using a 3- or 4-foot satellite dish and modestly-priced receiver.

·
Registered
319 Posts
As a Canadain donor, I was offered Passport programming a year ago for whenever I was logging in from within the US. Use of a VPN facilitated this. I didn't experience any program restriction under these circumstances. Just a thought!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts