Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

PBS on AMC 21

28K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  dtvinvictoria 
#1 ·
I understand that PBS is broadcasting on AMC 21. Before I spend time & money getting set up for this, I'd like to find out if others tune in to this sat.

I'd also be interested in PBS kids and Create which I wouldn't get OTA anyways.

Can anybody comment on this?

#54 ·
The changes in your signal are probably from above, as there is some wobble in the satellites, and the Earth for that matter, and just like someone starts to move on the road and then over corrects and heads off into the ditch.
Just be glad it's not Galaxy 15, http://www.intelsat.com/resources/galaxy-15/operational-status.asp

#55 ·
Majortom, thanks for your feedback.

On my Pansat 9200 HD, I was wondering if the DVB-S2 board was working as I hadn't managed to detect any. Well, I found that the hokey connector cable that comes with the board had the centre pin bent over and so wasn't feeding the signal to the DVB-S2 board.

After putting on a cable with screw on F-connectors, I scanned again. This time transponder 11980 MHz, Claro DVB-S2, was captured. Now I have the EPG for these channels, but can't watch as they are Nagravision 2. (I thought that Nagravision 2 had been compromised and everyone moved to Nagravision 3.) But, didn't detect any PBS DVB-S2 channels.

I just wish that SES (satellite owner) put valid field strength and footprint information on their website instead of what appears to be theoretical field strength in my case. Then we would all know where we were trying to receive this satellite.

#56 ·
Rick, et al.
Did you guys mention the type of LNBF you're using with your small antennas?
A high quality LNBF can also make all the difference in the world. Especially if it's an older model, several years old. After your dish size (Antenna gain) & Alignment, your next shot for improvement would be the overall system Noise Figure Of your system, in which the LNBF would play an important role.

At least that's how I see it. Glad to hear you at least know it's functioning now.
I think that Claro Mux is a fairly new provider meant for Carribean? All Spanish stuff ya can tell that much.

#61 ·
Speaking of LNBF, make sure you guys tweak the skew AND focal point of the LNBF itself once the dish itself is aligned to the desired satellite. People often forget to adjust the skew (twist LNBF left or right on holder) or adjust the focal point (push LNBF in or out on holder). You will be surprised how much difference in signal strength this adjustment can make. Also, it is a good idea to check both horizontal and vertical channels when adjusting the skew as you need to find the "sweet spot" where both horizontal and vertical transponders come in the strongest.

#58 ·
Majortom, the LNB I am using has a 0.3dB noise figure. The Claro network EPG on the one transponder are mostly in English. If you check out Lyngsat packages for Claro, it carries many of the channels that Dish Network does.

As mentioned in an earlier post, my belief is that the footprint info for AMC-21 is not correct and I have just written by snail mail to SES about this. I will post their reply when I get it.

I believe my set-up to be OK as I can receive all Ku band transponders on another satellite, SES-1 at 101°W, without problem and all are similar quality level. It seems like both my local satellites, Galaxy 18 at 123°W and AMC-12 at 125°W, are more difficult to pull in. If you think of the beam from SES-1 at 101°W, it will be broader and easier to align as its longitude position is over the Conus. Galaxy 18 and AMC-12 are more side shooting and require more critical alignment to centre the footprint correctly. If the western edge of the footprint is not where it should be, the EIRP will fall off rapidly which is my belief as to what is happening.

#62 ·
rookie question [sorry]

I was given a ViewSat2000 'Extreme' receiver and a DirecTV dish. Will the dish be suitable for AMC21? Since I live well north of Toronto I have no hope of receiving PBS off air from Buffalo and I have read its available Free to Air?

thanks folks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.