Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Got an e-mail reply from WNED. They are working with Rogers trying to resolve the issue. They asked whether I had noticed better PQ recently. (Rogers rebooted their ATSC receiver.)

I recorded a couple of programmes this evening and the quality has not changed, so I advised them.

I think they're barking up the wrong tree with Rogers - see post 116.... but at least they're still trying...

·
Banned
18 Posts
57, I don't know how relevent this is, but you may remember my post awhile back stating that I am in BC, and receive the Detroit feed clear as a bell. Well, now I am noticing terrible blurring any time there is motion, and not necessarily fast motion, but simple camera panning. It is very annoying, and seems to be getting worse. No other channels have this problem.
I also notice that any time there is alot of different color patterns, for instance a field of wildflowers, the picture seems to shimmer, and I get varying degrees of contrast; goes light/dark, light/dark, etc.
I don't know if this is related to your problems, but just thought I would mention it. I experienced no problems of this nature at all until about a week ago.

·
Registered
793 Posts
^^ that motion blurring is the exact problem i've always had with WNED OTA. I don't see why they are trying to fix this 'with rogers,' it has nothing to do with solely their feed to Rogers, and it's entire damn signal thats screwed. By a new encoder, eliminate one of your subchannels, but do something. They ruin so much good programming because of the motion blurring.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Videotron Illico customers receiving PBSHD from Detroit since 6:29 PM yesterday.

No ghosting or Jellying in faces. Great Performance last night, which featured new season launch at Carnegie Hall, was very nice and clear. Will check the sound in a few minutes.

Recorded Utah National Park at 11:00 AM today and after deletion the calculation shows that it was received in 13.9 Mbps. Acceptable but not very impressive when compared to CBCHD, SRCHD or CityHD all at around 17 Mbps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize that this is a thread about picture quality (and for the record, I'm experiencing a nearly unwatchable picture on the Rogers cable version of WNED in HD). However, I'm finding that the sound is quite bad as well. In the past couple of episodes of Austin City Limits, the sound was just as terrible as the picture. And considering that it's a music program, that's a disappointment! Is it reasonable to assume that the two are related?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Michel. Detroit PBS does multicast and they broadcast at 720P, unlike other PBS affiliates.

Were you receiving Buffalo before and had you noticed the jello heads before?
We've had PBSHD from Spokane for many months. As for Buffalo, I've not noticed jello heads in the past that I can recall.

Just watched Great Performance and 5.1 DD sound had no dropouts at all. The score on that one was 12.4 Mbps. I get the SA8300HD to convert 720p to 1080i for me so thanks for letting me know that Detroit is 720p.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Since Buffalo PBSHD is off the air right now (as are all Buffalo stations--I guess due to power outages/big snow storm), maybe Rogers might give us another feed. I heard it could be days til some areas of Buffalo get power back, but I would think they would have emergency generators.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Everyone reading this thread, please ask Rogers to provide Detroit or Spokane on Channel 525. Thanks.

I e-mailed them with the following:

Hello:

I assume you're currently experiencing problems with your Buffalo feeds for your HD channels.

Since I'm paying for the "timeshift" HD channels, I would appreciate it if you were to supply me with the Spokane or Detroit PBS channel on channel 525, since I currently have no PBS-HD channel at all.
Thanks, 57

·
Registered
16 Posts
Write a letter!

Hi Everyone... I know I haven't posted much here, but I regularly lurk the rogers forum.

Anyway, I *never* have any luck with the phone/email technique. Perhaps I am 'old fashioned' but I *always* get a response when I write a letter... I got a very nice letter from Rogers Office of the President *and* the CRTC when I complained about the inactive firewire ports.

So, for this issue, I would suggest we start writing to Rogers Senior Management.

I found this page;

http://www.rogers.com/english/aboutrogers/newsroom/wirelessmediainfo/exec_bios_photos.html

which lists the name of the President of the Cable Division (Ted Roger's Son) and the VP of Ops for Rogers Cable (Michael A Adams). For $0.51 it might be worth the effort of sending a letter. I assure you, from my experience it will get read by someone.

_CMK

·
Registered
793 Posts
asking Rogers to switch to a different feed is like ignoring the problem.

why does WNED's picture quality suck? It's the same OTA as it is with Rogers. It has been what like a year now, and nothing has been done.

i hate that i have no desire to watch anything on WNED because of so much motion blurring.

obviously the problem is between the (good) signal that comes from the main PBS satellite, and the transmission (and sending of) the signal to Rogers, and through the transmitter to the local area.

how long can it take to solve this problem. Have they given any dates? Even any insight that tells us they are working on fixing this.

i don't believe that is true.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
WNED is working on it, but it appears slowly. My last communication with them was shown in post 121, which was only two weeks ago.

It has been a year for Rogers customers - only since late April - see below:

I KNOW that the problems for Rogers customers arose AFTER the airing of the first Cousteau programme in April which was a great PQ programme, so was this after we had switched to WNED, or was it at the same time as the switch?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40452 (Cousteau)

Here's the thread that gives the timing of Rogers switch to WNED - Late April, just when the problems started surfacing:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41434

This thread started in June, so it was late Spring...

The following thread discusses the changes for the GTA from Detroit to Buffalo, however, we were receiving Spokane after the change... until late April

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30986

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
More updates.

1. I got another note from WNED technical today. They have made some changes today which positively impacted PQ - still not perfect, but better supposedly. I will record a few programmes and see.

2. They will be making another change in early December when some new equipment arrives.

3. They do see some minor issues with the PQ coming from PBS central that they have no control over, so those issues will need to be resolved by PBS central

4. My father now has an HDTV (40") with an ATSC tuner. I can hook up a set of rabbit ears to it (and have on occasion) and confirm that the ATSC signal is very similar and shows the same problems as the Rogers signal. My father also has Rogers and an SA8300HD for comparison.

At least it shows they are still working on it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ya i recieved the same email.

he said effective Wed Nov. 1 (yesterday) at 1:30pm, some changes were made to the settings on their encoders and satellite recievers for bandwidth, so their may be a difference right now in the PQ.

he said the main thing that hopefully will fix the problem is that they have ordered a 3rd generation HD encoder, which will be 20% more bandwidth effective. said this will be installed early december.

i was impressed with the response, Mr Puma (engineer) took the time to explain the situation, where they were, are and will be at, in detail.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Early yesterday morning (around 9:00 AM), Videotron's PBSHD (in Montreal) had a Buffalo logo on the bottom right of the picture. And the PQ was very good. Then later, it was PBS Detroit again. Wonder what's going on...

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
I recorded a couple of programmes overnight (Smart Travels, Steeves). It may be my imagination, but I believe there is less smearing and ghosting than before. It still exists, just not quite as bad.

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I believe I saw the same thing. Watching both those shows and Window To The Sea. Definitely still an issue, but not as bad as before. Hopefully the equipment they get in December will bring it back to the PBS HD we all used to know and love.

I know that you, 57, have been in correspondence with them over the issue, but what exactly did they do with their existing equipment for the picture to degrade so badly that they would need to bring in NEW equipment to get the picture back to what it once was.

I have this picture in my head that someone at PBS inadvertently flipped the wrong dipswitch, and they just haven't found that switch yet, so instead they're going to spend those hard-earned pledge drive dollars and government funds to buy new equipment. When all along it's this one little dip switch that someone accidentally switched that's causing the problem.

No need to point out how silly this is. I'm just musing.

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Here are my guesses, since we may never know exactly:

I'd say that PBS central made a change in June that affected some affiliates more than others and some equipment may have been "more incompatible" with that change than others (namely WNED's equipment).

In parallel, or separately, WNED may have reduced bandwidth for multicasting, which exacerbated the issue.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i think that when your looking and wanting for the picture to be better, your brain makes you think there is improvement.

but really, not really a difference. quality still sucks because of teh damn motion blur. december though, it better be fixed by then.

121 - 140 of 204 Posts