Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
I noticed something wrong with WNED's PBS HD feed almost immediately after Rogers switched to it from Spokane in late April '06. I guess WNED never really cared about the HD picture quality, but rather tried to cram a couple SD subchannels into the WNED ATSC broadcast. It's a shame IMO, that Rogers can't get a decent full bandwith PBS HD feed to supply to its subscribers.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
Joe (PBS) called me today and we had an excellent discussion for about 20 minutes.. They are monitoring this via 13" professional monitors. No wonder they can't see it.. My 61" TV is over 20 times as large.

He said they'd try to see if they can see the problem. I advised him it's also on true HD stuff like Cousteau, Springsteen, etc, so as far as I'm concerned that blows his upconversion hypothesis. I basically said what I needed to say directly to him.

For Rogers customers, perhaps we need to bug Rogers to give us Spokane back. More bitrate and no logo, make for better PQ..

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
57 said:
He said they'd try to see if they can see the problem. I advised him it's also on true HD stuff like Cousteau, Springsteen, etc, so as far as I'm concerned that blows his upconversion hypothesis.
Most of our displays upconvert 480i from DVD and I've never seen 'ghosting' on a DVD, so I agree with you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ghosting on PBS

I just wanted to add that I'm in downtown Toronto with Rogers on the 8300 HDPVR and I notice the ghosting on PBS as well ...

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
I took quite a few pictures of the ghosting on the weekend, on several programmes. The ghosting is a huge issue, which is very clearly present on the pictures I have for HD and WS programming. I sent the photos to PBS today. I'll advise when/if I hear back.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
Pictures were sent. Received the following response...

We have re-started our HD Encoder, statistical multiplexer and satellite receiver in a first attempt to rectify this problem. We are now attempting to distill any changes that we have made to this
system in the last month or so to try and firgure out what is causing this. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Director of Engineering and Technology
Western New York Public Broadcasting Association

·
Registered
11 Posts
PBS problems

Just wanted to say - awesome job 57. Thanks for doing that. Secondly, I love the response time from PBS in the States. If only Rogers was that fast!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have been getting severe ghosting on WNED Buffalo - Toronto for the past few weeks here in downtown Toronto. See it both thru Rogers Cable 3250HD set top box and with OTA antenna coming off the CN Tower. That would seem to indicate that the problem is not with Rogers. When I first got my LCD HDTV and HD cable in early April PBS looked great. Something has changed somewhere since then.

·
Registered
785 Posts
stephenM said:
When I first got my LCD HDTV and HD cable in early April PBS looked great. Something has changed somewhere since then.
Rogers switched from Spokane PBS-HD to Buffalo's WNED feed in late April '06.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I saw the ghosting the other day.....it was a concert but I think it was widescreen. The camera was on a relatively slow pan. I read in another forum that this is because of lack of bandwidth for HD. I don't think its macroblocking.

As I've said before, other than this problem the PQ has been great...certainly better than Spokane or Detroit.

So what ever happened to Detroit HD ????

·
Registered
785 Posts
filper said:
I noticed a dramatic improvement in picture quality tonight.
Maybe not a lot of ghosting tonite on Rogers, but jello-heads are still quite noticeable on upconverted widescreen SD footage (Slavery and the Making of America).

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I watched a gardenning show today and did see some ghosting and also some flashing when there was slow panning over a lot of detail such as very small rocks or branches. This seems to be a relatively new thing. It certainly wasn't there when we got the other HD PBS stations.:(

·
Registered
845 Posts
Flashing, strobe effect, PBS

I, too, saw the bright flashes when the camera panned at any significant distance. i.e. 20 feet or more. The close-ups didn't display the effect.

The garden show is the only time I've seen this. I'm wondering was it a glitch in the show's production and not the broadcaster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Watching naked planet on wned hd right now. I am getting a headache doing so. Any word on the technical adjustments they (PBS) have planned to correct this problem?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Desert Speaks is full of ghosting....a really bad production This is relatively new. Guess its time to hassle Rogers.

21 - 40 of 204 Posts