Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to buy something from Tigerdirect using Paypal.

I have $450 in my account. The total price was $220.

When I went to buy, Paypal would not let me buy the items unless I give them a credit card to which I reply, "why do I need a credit card when my balance is greater than the product I am buying?"

I thought the whole point of Paypal was to avoid using credit cards or for folks who don't have credit cards?

If I have to give Paypal a credit card then I'll just buy stuff via my credit card.

What am I missing here?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe but that's the retailers or sellers issue. I've had my paypal account for years and have never been asked that before. I've added a credit card just so I can use up my balance.

Interestingly, the only reason I signed up for Paypal years ago was the concern over using a credit card over the web. Nowadays, Visa gives me 1% back to use their card and Paypal charges me so its a bit of a no brainer on why I won't be using PayPal once I use up my balance.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Asking for a credit card number has been standard at PayPal for years. It has always been possible to use PayPal without registering a credit card but limitations on amounts and speed of payment are applied. Something must have triggered the current request. Maybe it was the amount of the payment or new policies at PayPal (which seem to happen regularly.) I still prefer to use PayPal for a couple of reasons. For one, it hides my credit card number from potentially untrustworthy vendors. For another, it provides protection for goods that are misrepresented or not received. BTW, you can tell PayPal to charge your credit card instead of your bank account and still get points. I have never been charged a fee for purchasing through PayPal. They charge a fee for receiving funds, but so do credit card companies.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bigger concern with Paypal security than I do with Visa. If someone gets a hold of your Paypal account (with a cc attached) then they can charge with impunity.

That is less true if they get a hold of your Visa card.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you're worried about someone getting into your PayPal account then just order one of their security keys. They only cost $5 and prevent anyone from using your account without physical access to the key.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a security key.

I just don't see why Paypal needs my credit card number when my account has a debit balance?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I though that paypal only charges when you receive money not spend money?

To me its like an added line of defense. The retailer gets paypal payments, paypal then charges my visa. As apposed to giving the retailer my visa number. I guess its a matter of who you trust more? random retailers with your visa or Paypal basically being the middle man.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I just don't see why Paypal needs my credit card number when my account has a debit balance?
It's a way of preventing fraud. Bank account withdrawals can be reversed by the bank until they are cleared, which can take several days. To combat this, PayPal either obtains a credit card number, for backup payment, or delays the payment until the bank withdrawal clears. I've experienced delays when my credit card expired and PayPal no longer has a current expiry date. I'd rather have the credit card on file than have every PayPal transaction delayed for up to a week. It's also handy if I don't have enough money in the account since the PayPal purchase can be placed on the credit card.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Credit card payments

I purchased something from ********* and also could only pay with my credit card. I had balance in my Paypal and also wanted to transfer from my bank account. The transaction would not allow me to do it. This is the first time I have come across this problem using a merchant with Paypal payments. Maybe they are trying to protect themselves, I don't know.

I agree that if you have a balance in your Paypal, that is all you should have to pay with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts