Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotten myself a little confused. I have been thinking about the Patriot box office as a media player but with the boxing day sales for the xbox 360 for $130 it is close enough to the price of the PBO to reconsider.

Here is what I was planning/needing:

1. Stream ripped ISO/VOB of my current DVD collection from my PC (Windows 7 Ultimate) to my TV.

2. Have the applicance be the workhorse. No desire to upgrade PC so that my video card is capable.

3. Connect to the web to view videos from a number of different site. (Youtube, UFC.com to name a couple)

4. Possibly Netflix viewing

5. If possible no other software needed. I tried reading about TVersity and PlayOn but not enough to understand.

Leaving out the fact that I could also play games on the XBOX is there any significant media player reasons to go with one over the other?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Xbox is great for both netflix (with gold account) or for streaming directly from my computer(s). I have a 2nd (broken DVD, $50 used) that is used in another room just for media use.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It depends to some extent on your use and the contents you have.

If you rip many full Blu-rays, PBO plays them straight up and now can core stream both DTS-MA and TrueHD.

If you're into MKVs, PBO also excels particular in this sort of format with easy switching audio tracks and subtitles. Nice time search function as well.

There are some RSS on the latest PBO official firmware but I don't like none of them. I only treat the box solely as a media player.

·
Registered
182 Posts
if you want a nice interface for your own 'ripped content' you need a plug-in like media browser for media center on your PC that is serving the files. This will give you metadata, cover art etc. Not many devices come close to delivering the same experience once you have it set up properly.

Do your research, make sure you have the right codecs on your PC if you want to play MKV on the XBOX. Shark007's pack worked well for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts