In post # 1 on Oct 5, he said his antenna is aimed at 45 degrees.
That would be -86 dBm, wouldn't it? Your tuner would be toast with an input of 86 dBm.Oh, and when I tune to 183MHz, it's 86dBm
I also would have expected an increase in the signal strength.What's odd is I removed a splitter today but the reading hasn't changed. Would've expected at least a small jump...
.....my antenna is still pointed towards Toronto (maybe 50 deg due to how my antenna is set up). I've snapped the VHF kit on top of the reflector as recommended, so as far as I know, it is pointed the same direction as the antenna.
I ordered the Winegard preamplifier and installed it today, and now I'm getting even fewer channels. Of course, this is what happens when your cable run is installed by amateurs (yours truly and his father-in-law), combining various coaxial cables of dubious quality and varying ages, and connecting them with a variety of connectors (both screw-on and crimp), without the proper tools.
Actually, it's a miracle I get any channels at all. So I did some light research which suggested the preamplifier probably isn't getting power at all, Iso that's a dead end. To fix that, I'll have to re-do the run, which can wait until summer.
I also now suspect a connection problem.ahh yes, connection problems, number one on the list of things to check.
[email protected]:~$ dvb-fe-tool -mg -a0 # one splitter removed FREQUENCY = 183000000 MODULATION = VSB/8 DELIVERY_SYSTEM = ATSC Carrier(0x03) Signal= -86.00dBm Carrier(0x03) Signal= -86.00dBm Carrier(0x03) Signal= -87.00dBm ^C [email protected]:~$ dvb-fe-tool -mg -a0 # removal of the second splitter FREQUENCY = 183000000 MODULATION = VSB/8 DELIVERY_SYSTEM = ATSC Lock (0x1f) Signal= -83.00dBm C/N= 18.30dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -83.00dBm C/N= 18.17dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -83.00dBm C/N= 18.23dB ^CLock (0x1f) Signal= -83.00dBm C/N= 18.23dB
Thank you for the report with the encouraging news. The reading of -83 dBm is good enough to be usable, but I would expect it to be higher at your location for reliable reception; you are at the edge of the cliff just before dropout.I am happy to report that upon removal of both splitters (and replacing them with F-type connectors), I am now able to lock onto CFTO.
Can you predict the future, because that's exactly what happened. Not long after I sorted out CFTO, the signal degraded again.... you are at the edge of the cliff just before dropout.
$ dvb-fe-tool -mg -a0 FREQUENCY = 183000000 MODULATION = VSB/8 DELIVERY_SYSTEM = ATSC Lock (0x1f) Signal= -72.00dBm C/N= 18.56dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -72.00dBm C/N= 18.23dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -72.00dBm C/N= 18.30dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -72.00dBm C/N= 18.36dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -72.00dBm C/N= 18.43dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -72.00dBm C/N= 18.63dB Lock (0x1f) Signal= -71.00dBm C/N= 18.23dB ^CLock (0x1f) Signal= -71.00dBm C/N= 18.36dB
cache=/home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_zz_sdjson.cache channel-id-format=default previously-shown-format=date username=XXXXX password=XXXXX mode=lineup lineup=CAN-OTA-L7L4J6