Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
"I'm not saying it's because of the Wi-Fi because we don't know yet, but I've pretty much eliminated every other possible source."
But hey, lets ban it anyway. I wonder how many of those parents also have Wifi at home? Or use a cell phone? Or live near a cell tower? Smoke near their kids?

There have been many examples of people jumping on a bandwagon, blaming something for problems, real or imagined. Look at what happened with the measles vaccine. The effects of such radiation have been studied for many decades. I wonder if those studies have shown such a correlation? Or did someone come up with a theory, because their kid didn't want to go to school one day?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This story is on the front page of a few newspapers I read today.

I would also be surprised if these same kids don't have wifi at home.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
This sort of thing has already been investigated for decades. How much more does it take? Are they supposed to investigate everything parents claim? Can those parents demonstrate any correlation?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I guess they eliminated every other possible cause of these symptoms at the school - water, gasses, paint, carpet glues, teachers....

If wifi were causing this, perhaps there would be more widespread reports from across the world?

It might also be a case of mind over matter - one kid starts to feel dizzy - parents think it is the wifi. Soon that kid is telling their friends and soon everyone imagines some vague symptoms.

One way to test is to turn off the wifi, but don't tell anyone (not even the teachers or parents) and see if the symptoms disappear. They won't. It would be even more fun to announce that instead of turning off wifi, they installed a high powered wifi signal generator - I bet the symptoms would get worse.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
It would be hard to turn off WiFi, without anyone noticing. And you're certainly correct about how such "problems" spread. I wonder how long that WiFi had been turned on before this started. Also, it'd be extremely difficult to point to the school's WiFi as the cause, given how much RF we're exposed to every day. In Mississauga, there's WiFi in many of the city buildings, including libraries and community centres. When I scan WiFi at home I can see over a dozen signals from my neighbours. In short, it's highly unlikely this situation can be attributed to the school WiFi, as the kids are exposed to so much RF already. I wonder how those schools compare with other districts? I wonder if they considered the CKVR transmitter at the south end of town etc.?

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Stale or bad air is the most likely culprit. Investigate there first. The groups conclusion should be ignored though. Unless they have EE and biomedical experts doing independent and peer reviewed research. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I can't believe this is even in the news with actual real stories around the world.

It's these nervous nellie "Dear God Won't somebody think of the children" Maude Fanders types which are a problem in this world - not freaking wifi.

Sad thing is while the "we know it all" bored housewife crowd yells the sane keep quiet and stuff like wifi gets taken away.

In part it was that crowd that convinced Thorold, Ontario not to put up a city wide wifi grid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stale or bad air is the most likely culprit. Investigate there first. The groups conclusion should be ignored though. Unless they have EE and biomedical experts doing independent and peer reviewed research. :rolleyes:
Jake, as you are a moderator I find your post disappionting. Yes you have a right to express any opinion you want. But as someone who is supposed to value and encourage balance and fairness you are not leading by example.

Dismiss them outright? Unless they provide--what? as "proof"? Tell me.....do ALL of you hold shares in wi-fi technology? Or are you just naturally indifferent to schoolchildren and blatently hostile to their parents.

These are some of the most juvenile posts lumped together in one thread I have ever seen. And "bored housewives"?? If that is the limits of people's intellectual grasps here then that is pitiful. Wake up!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to agree that it seems highly unlikely that its the wi-fi. But then you would think the kids themselves would be telling their parents the same thing and getting them to back off.
My piont is these parents have probably gone through hell just to gain the little ground they did. 14 schools is a lot of schools. Speak to me logically. Why do they hold no credibility in your eyes? What is it based on? Do you honestly think these are some local chapter of EMADAT trying to sow some mischief? (Evil MomAndDadsAgainstTechnology)

These kids are feeling sick Have any of you ever felt sick? Have you ever been a kid?

It's the children that matter.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Lucy you should save your disappointment. It is misplaced. I have a question for you? Why wifi? Of all the more probable things that have been PROVEN to be unhealthy why did this group pick wifi? Which has been tested over and over again and PROVEN to be harmless. Do you have any idea how many wifi networks there are? This does not take a genius to figure out.

No I am not indifferent. I have 2 children attending schools. When I see an issue I speak out. But it is based on common sense.

I suggest you read more on the topic and I suggest some of these parents do the same. I am sure our more "juvenile posters" will be providing references shortly.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I guess they eliminated every other possible cause of these symptoms at the school - water, gasses, paint, carpet glues, teachers....
That is an extremely valid and very scientific approach. Using the same method of elimination (and a few trillion dollars of research), scientists have concluded that it must be human activity that should be blamed for global "climate change", and many more trillions of dollars are needed to continue research and fix it. Same here - in this particular case, if there's money to be made by pointing a finger at WiFi, we won't see the end of it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I have to agree that it seems highly unlikely that its the wi-fi. But then you would think the kids themselves would be telling their parents the same thing and getting them to back off.
My piont is these parents have probably gone through hell just to gain the little ground they did. 14 schools is a lot of schools. Speak to me logically. Why do they hold no credibility in your eyes? What is it based on? Do you honestly think these are some local chapter of EMADAT trying to sow some mischief? (Evil MomAndDadsAgainstTechnology)

These kids are feeling sick Have any of you ever felt sick? Have you ever been a kid?

It's the children that matter.
I'm sorry, this is so typical of overprotective parents. I used to be a teacher for 20 years... and I see this type of pattern recurring for those 20 years of my teaching days.

Yes, the children matter, but logic also needs to be used. The biggest culprit of any type of sickness in schools (or any other building for that matter) is usually the air quality. A lot of schools (and offices) never have their air duct cleaned at all.

That's more plausible than WiFi. Besides, killing WiFi at schools won't solve any problem. How about the WiFi from other houses and buildings surrounding the school? I'd worry more about powerline located right next to the schools before WiFi (and this can be tested easily because around the powerline area, WiFi and cellphone signals tend to drop down to (in some cases) zero due to EMI.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Funny, when I called in sick last week at work and told my boss it was due to the wi-fi in my home, she didn't buy it!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I'm sorry, this is so typical of overprotective parents
A big part of the problem is "microwave". If they'd said "radio" instead, there'd be no problem, even when talking about the exact same system. The same thing happens if you use the word "radiation". People get all hung up on the label, without understanding what it represents. They also seem to be unaware that we're bathed in radiation, from a wide variety of natural sources, and have been since day 1.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used to work in a tech school with an industrial lab. Now and then we would have tours of the facilities for students, open houses, etc.

We had a Cesium 137 nuclear source (very small) to measure density of a fluid in a pipe. The installation had a yellow circle marking a 1 metre radius around the source, as per regs, as well as numerous radiation signs around.

I used stand right next to the source during tours of the area, and even rest my arm on top of the source holder sometimes and the peoples faces would drop. Due to space in the area you would try to get people to come close (everyone likes to hide in the back of groups :p ) but people would not go near that circle for love or money :D

Part of the work was to test the source for radiation, there was zero. The most sensitive setting of the Geiger Counter would not make a blip of the needle, yet if I went to the window and put it into the sunlight the would peg the needle on the 3rd scale...

It is funny how people do associate feelings with words without any idea about what is really happening. The people received hundreds of times more radiation outside in the sun then near a Source, but I could guarantee they would all rather be outisde then next to it !

Like others have posted, I would be much more concerned with a lot of other things in a school, but wifi would not be near the top of the list.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts