Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Until CBS decides to retain streaming rights for all new series and other programming for Paramount+ Canada, I doubt they will have much success. That, and the other major US networks following suit, would convince me to dump conventional TV services.
Right and in the end taking all those separate network streaming services would probably end up costing as much as or more than what you would be paying for the same programming on the conventional services. It's a fool's game.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Streaming services are essentially pick and pay. I'll pick one or two main services that produce lots of content and supplement that with another service for a month or two, then another for month or two. As it is now, I have to pay way too much ($100+) for a conventional TV service and supplement that with two or three "lite" streaming services. That's the real fool's game since almost none of those provide full value in Canada. The main exceptions seem to be Netflix and Disney+ that have mostly their own, exclusive content which never gets licensed to Canadian broadcasters. Prime Video is a bit of an exception due to the other services included. All the other streaming services license most of their new desirable content to Canadian broadcasters who then charge a 1000% markup.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Pretty much what ExDilbert says ... though I also have BritBox, DAZN, and OneSoccer which all have unique content. And am considering the Apple service, now that they are getting more new shows, that seem to be "must see" TV.

I passed on CBS - and their content seems to have gone downhill since then. And I've dumped Crave, whose content is diminishing.

Though don't underrate the Roku channel. The content is improving, it's free, and the ads are minimal - if I only had a couple of 60 second to 90 second interruptions in a show, I wouldn't bother fast forwarding regular TV! I watched Dectorists there recently.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Bill Brioux has confirmed that SEAL Team will be available exclusively on Paramount+ Canada effective with episode 5 that streamed last night.

----

Paramount+ announced two new original South Park exclusive events that will also be available internationally, including Canada. South Park: Post COVID premieres Thursday, Nov. 25 and the second event will stream in December, the date to be announced.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Bill Brioux has confirmed that SEAL Team will be available exclusively on Paramount+ Canada effective with episode 5 that streamed last night.
I don't object to CBS moving a series from their network to their new streaming service at the start of the series' new season. That's just business. CBS can put it on whatever platform it chooses. However I do object to this latest example of TV bait and switch. Showing the first four episodes of a new season on regular TV thereby getting millions hooked on a popular series and then transferring the rest of the series over to its nascent streaming service in the hopes of dragging the viewers over with it is slap in the face to its viewers. No doubt many fans will make the switch if only to keep up with the series star but I won't be one of them. I'm done with this programme even if it were to return to CBS.

Edit by 57 - Quote Syntax Corrected.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
IMO, CBS can do that in the United States as Paramount+ there is actually a decent service. Star Trek, The Good Fight, The Twilight Zone, Why Women Kill, are examples of decent Paramount+ original shows. The problem here in Canada is that most of Paramount+ headliners are already aired by various channels. That makes Paramount+ in Canada virtually empty and filled mostly by reruns. There is very little value for Canadian viewers to subscribe to Paramount+.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
I put the blame for Seal Team mainly on Corus. At least in the U.S., the plan was clear in May. I read a lot of articles, trying to find out what as happening in Canada. The comments sections were full of complaints, especially from vets that had watched the show from the beginning, but refused to subscribe to P+.

Corus just said they had picked up the new season for Global, with no mention of what would happen after the fourth episode. Since they had picked up other P+ originals for their specialty channels, there was justification to believe they might have picked up the full season.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
@hercules130 I had it until August when they axed about 80% of the content. It's basically CBS shows that are on the air or recently left plus the shows specifically created for the streaming service. Not worth the money now.
So I believe SEAL Team and iCarly are the only scripted shows on Paramount+ in Canada not available elsewhere? I am still looking for season 2 of Evil. It seems like it is nowhere to be found. I just got this free subscription from McDonald's, I guess I can use it to finish this season of SEAL Team and maybe I can use VPN to watch Evil. After that, I am done with those shows.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Moving Seal Team to Paramount+ may backfire for CBS. The show was almost cancelled due to low ratings but, according to a recent poll, the move is alienating many of the viewers it has with about half saying they won't watch it on Paramount+. It's looking like Paramount+ in Canada is just a dumping ground for shows CBS can't sell to Canadian broadcasters.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts