Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I don't object to CBS moving a series from their network to their new streaming service at the start of the series' new season. That's just business. CBS can put it on whatever platform it chooses. However I do object to this latest example of TV bait and switch. Showing the first four episodes of a new season on regular TV thereby getting millions hooked on a popular series and then transferring the rest of the series over to its nascent streaming service in the hopes of dragging the viewers over with it is slap in the face to its viewers. No doubt many fans will make the switch if only to keep up with the series star but I won't be one of them. I'm done with this programme even if it were to return to CBS.
They did announce that was what was going to happen this year (move to Paramount+ after a few episodes), when they renewed it last spring.

Surely it's better than the alternative (cancellation)!

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Bill Brioux has confirmed that SEAL Team will be available exclusively on Paramount+ Canada effective with episode 5 that streamed last night.
Bill Brioux acknowledged in the comments section that Global and P+ had given him bad info. Also Tanya posted: "Unfortunately this show is not available on P+ in Canada. Season 5 episode 5 was available last week but it has now been deleted by P+ and no further episodes will be shown due to a licensing issue with Global."

----

Paramount+ has canceled The Harper House after one season. (Deadline)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Bill Brioux acknowledged in the comments section that Global and P+ had given him bad info. Also Tanya posted: "Unfortunately this show is not available on P+ in Canada. Season 5 episode 5 was available last week but it has now been deleted by P+ and no further episodes will be shown due to a licensing issue with Global."

----

Paramount+ has canceled The Harper House after one season. (Deadline)
So if I read this correctly...Seal Team is effectively cancelled in Canada...unless we choose to use a VPN?

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
My guess is that the Global TV contract gave them first-run rights to SEAL Team for the life of the series. The new ViacomCBS seems to be holding back several series that previously aired on various channels in Canada, leaving them in limbo. Given that track record, they will probably sit on SEAL Team season 5 until the season is over and release the episodes on P+ Canada. The exact timing will depend on the Global TV contract. It could soon after the last episode is released, or as late as a year after the season started (Oct. 10.) By removing season 5 from P+ Canada, ViacomCBS basically acknowledged they don't have first-run rights in Canada.

----

Zap2it says that Mayor of Kingstown episode 2 will be on Paramount Network Canada on Nov. 21, so it looks like Canada will get the whole series.
Update: Mayor of Kingstown episode 3 will not air on Paramount Network Canada, so P+ will have the exclusive starting with episode 3.

I noticed the following on P+: "Limited-time offer: 50% off for 3 months and 7 days free. New customers only. Then $5.99 CAD/month."

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
I think ViacomCBS is withholding SEAL Team from international distribution. Global aired the first 4 episodes and has been simsubbing the CBS schedule for the timeslot ever since - mostly filler and reruns. I think they would air SEAL Team if they could get it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'd guess that Global TV's contract never considered that CBS might stream it without airing it OTA - and thus Global can't obtain that particular episode to air (or stream) in Canada until it's broadcast in the USA. But their contract also prevents CBS streaming it in Canada. Oops ...

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I decided to subscribe to P+ Canada at the discounted price. The programming selection appears to be quite a bit different from when it first launched. All of the vintage TV series seem to be gone. Instead, a selection of popular recent, mostly scripted, series are available as well as a selection of movies. It's a very small but nice selection of programming that appears to be aimed at chord cutters who are fans CBS prime time programming. There are still some notable exceptions such as daytime programing and talk shows.

·
Registered
705 Posts
@ExDilbert I dropped it in late August because they did drop all of the older television content. It was like they slashed 75% of the content. For me, it was a bait and switch situation because I was paying for lots of content and then it vanished but the price remained the same.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I was disappointed to see some of the older shows gone but happy to see recent shows such as the FBI series. To be of much appeal in Canada, P+ really needs both plus some of the talk and daytime shows which are currently scattered around YouTube and some other streaming services. I suspect it's a rights issue and Viacom will market their content in ways that maximizes profit rather that trying to build Paramount+ as a dominant brand in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Paramount+ Announces Madonna's Madame X Presents: Madame Xtra Q&A to Premiere Exclusively Thursday, Nov. 18.

----

HALO, based on the Xbox franchise, will launch on Paramount+ in the U.S. and in all international markets where the streaming service will be available in 2022. (Source)

----

Paramount+ announced it will exclusively premiere MTV Documentary Films' award-winning slate. The features SABAYA and ASCENSION will premiere Monday, Nov. 15 at 10:00 AM, PT, while shorts CODED: THE HIDDEN LOVE OF J.C. LEYENDECKER; LYNCHING POSTCARDS: "TOKEN OF A GREAT DAY"; R.I.P. T-SHIRTS; BREE WAYY: PROMISE WITNESS REMEMBRANCE; and THE MUSICIAN will premiere Monday, Nov. 22 at 10:00 AM, PT. The press release doesn't mention if this is only in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think ViacomCBS is withholding SEAL Team from international distribution. Global aired the first 4 episodes and has been simsubbing the CBS schedule for the timeslot ever since - mostly filler and reruns. I think they would air SEAL Team if they could get it.
This is another SNAFU like Evil, I think. It is neither here nor there. Paramount+ does not carry it in Canada and Global as the original right holder does not either. I have 3 months free subscription, what do I do with it?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
This is another SNAFU like Evil, I think. It is neither here nor there. Paramount+ does not carry it in Canada and Global as the original right holder does not either. I have 3 months free subscription, what do I do with it?
Without Evil and Seal Team...it's a massive NO from me...useless service for me anyway.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
EDIT for Clarification: Most of the Global series are available for the full season, so their rights to Evil season 2 might not expire until August. I didn't track season 1, so I don't know the history.

SEAL Team season 5 episodes expired from Global On-demand about about 3 weeks after broadcast and Corus will air episode 4 on C+I this Sunday, exactly 3 weeks after the original air date on Global. It's possible that SEAL Team season 5 will be available on P+ Canada about a month after the season ends.

----

Star Trek: Discovery has been removed from Netflix outside North America and won't be available on P+ until 2022.

In Canada, Discovery will stay on CTV Sci-Fi Channel and Crave under Bell Media’s long-standing deal and season 4 will premiere this week as planned. Deadline

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
In Canada, Discovery will stay on CTV Sci-Fi Channel and Crave
Sorry to hear that. I watched The S1E1 episode of FBI on Paramount+ and thoroughly enjoyed it. The picture was excellent and the sound was awesome. I expect Star Trek Discovery would benefit immensely from being on Paramount+. Canadian broadcasters can take their overpriced TV services with their anemic, substandard sound and picture quality, annoying pop-ups, storyline ruining interruptions for commercials and unreliable schedules, and stick them where the sun don't shine.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm the exact opposite camp. As a subscriber to a BDU I am happy that Discovery is on a linear service and that I don't have to add another streaming service simply to get one program.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I think programs should be on both but that's not how the TV industry works. They provide "exclusive" content on one or the other to encourage people subscribe to both. It's worse in Canada since Canadian broadcasters push this to the limit by using exclusive licensing agreements. A lot of people either cannot justify the rapidly increasing costs and diluting of content on networks and TV services. Unless you have money to burn, or want to forego food or saving for a pension, something has to give.

It looks like the current season's TV shows on Paramount+ are delayed by 4 days after the initial network airing. Not a big deal for some but the WAF can be negative.

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Paramount+ announced the cast for the Yellowstone prequel 1883. They previously said that Paramount Network will air a simulcast for the first episode following Yellowstone on Sunday, December 19. They haven't said anything about 1883 on P+ outside the U.S., but it should follow the same pattern as Mayor of Kingstown.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Is anyone having issues watching Paramount+ using the Android app on streaming devices and phones? I can access everything fine on the PC with Windows 10 but recent episodes and some entire series are not available using the app. I'm starting to think the app is broken since it happens on all Android and Android TV devices. Paramount+ support is totally useless. I've tried the usual troubleshooting such as reinstalling the app.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts