Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to use a proxy server or something to get Pandora working on an internet-connected HDTV like the Samsung?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ya, how? I'd like to do that for HULU as well!

Congo

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have in the past accessed the BBC iplayer on a PS3 by running a VPN service like VPNUK on a PC and then sharing the connection thru a crossover cable. Also had my Bell PVR hooked up this way. A VPN enabled router would achieve the same result.

I have yet to try it on my other media devices but it should work. The trick is to find a VPN that does not compromise speed. For Pandora it should not be a problem. The only issues you will have with these services is trying to pay for premium services with Canadian currency. Even your paypal account won't work

I have tried Netflix and Spotify without any joy.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I like listening to pandora, typicaly I'd use a DNS or VPN in order to enjoy their service. For some odd reason, yesterday I noticed Pandora was working on one of my WDTV boxes, tried second one today, sure enought it works. Even my iPhone pandora app, which typicaly I had to turn on a VPN before it would work is no longer needed, I decided to open pandora.com on the desktop, it logs in. As strange as this is, im not gonna complain, but could pandora be open to Canada now??

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just tried and it was a no go. I did have it happen once where I was able to log in without the VPN but that was a fluke I think.
Just now I logged in on my VPN and then disconnected the VPN midway through a song and it immediately redirected me to the restricted page.

·
Super Moderator
16,893 Posts
@merve04, when I go to Pandora.com on my PC, I get this (I don't have a VPN):

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.
It must be something unique to your setup or maybe your ISP is giving you a new IP address that isn't recognized as Canadian.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My router does have a fairly new IP, couple weeks ago. Had the same IP from April '11 till now. It is odd I really have nothing particularly special setup on the actiontech or dlink at this time. The pandora app on my phone does not work on 3G unless I turn on my VPN. Now it being on my wifi it's working fine. I'm not gonna complain.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm aware of that service. Pandora is still working just fine on any device on my network so as one poster mentioned, maybe my ip is not on a block from US list, I tired Hulu and tells me I can't have the service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts