Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Panasonic DMP-BD65 which is WIFI capable by adding the USB WIFI Dongle
DY-WL10.

1: Has anyone bought one and can confirm it works
2: The DY-WL10 appears to be out of stock at pratically all places in Canada, including Panasonic.
3: Prices in Canada appear to be crazy compared to say Best Buy in the US.

Some online sites hint at another Netgear apapter that will also work.
Does anyone have any experience with this.

I'd like to set-up the WIFI on this unit and wonder if anyone have done it.

I think I'll pick up the dongle anyway when I'm in the US in February.

Thanks for any comments

·
Registered
28 Posts
yes, i bought the Panasonic one in the US at Best Buy and it works great. It can even auto connect to the newest routers that have the push button connect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Airmik, can / have you tried to use Netflix Canada on this machine.

Some late posts by a canadian user on another forum show an email from Panasonic stating that the 2010 TV and DVD players will not be capable of Netflix, due to the software that Netflix has chosen to use in Canada. But suposed 2011 units will be capable of Netflix in Canada.

Just what I read, at this stage I can't try or deny this claim.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Search for the PANASONIC part number alternative. It will bring up many choices but notably, the netgear with a certain version seems to work.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Does your device also have a wired Ethernet interface?

If yes, does the wireless interface provided by the dongle allow anything that you can't do using wired Ethernet?

If no, then you could probably use a wireless to Ethernet adapter instead of the USB dongle.

If wireless G has sufficient speed (as opposed to the faster N speed that the dongle can provide) then the Asus WL-330gE would probably work and is relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I haven't seen on in action, but one Wireless-Ethernet bridge is the Netgear WNCE 2001, which I believe to be N.

Panasonc supports only their wireless adapter, probably the same reason as TiVo does; The PC adapter market was to varied and too closed (for newer adapters), as i would be a drain on resources trying to support them going on, so went with their own adapter they do have control over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I picked up a refurbished Netgear WNDA3100 RangeMax Wireless N Network Adapter last fall for $31.99 at *************** and use it with my VT25. Has worked great ever since. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts