Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering both of these 3d tv's. They have both got great reviews. I think that the Panny has a slightly better picture and 3D however in fairness the Sammy was not calibrated yet.

The best price I can find on a 58 inch is $3425 Cad including 1 pair of glasses for the PannyVT25 and $2888 Cad including 2 pairs of glasses, a Samsung bd6900 Blu-Ray player and a monster vs aliens 3d movie for the Samsung pnc800.

Im highly considering the Sammy deal as I can't see how I would spend another $1000 to get equivalent package on the Panny.

I am concerned about potential buzzing on the Sammy.

Can anyone provide their input on either of these TV's? Is this deal too good to be true or is there some flaw which sets the Sammy way below the Panny, hence the much lower price.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Owner of 65VT25

Not too sure about the samsung. I have the 65vt25 and love it. For 4999 I got the tv, 3d blu ray player and two sets of glasses and two 3d movies. Also in Sept we get avatar in 3d and Dispicable Me. The vt25 was best of show at ces 2010. As far as I know it is still the only tv to show full hd 3d. I can't hear any buzz from my tv at all. No flicker when watching 3d, which seems to be a problem with most led and lcd 3d tv's because of the lower refresh rate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
London Drugs on the West coast has the Samsung 58C8000 plasma, 3D Blu ray, Two glasses and 3D movie for $2799.99, or the same package with the 50" for $1999.99. I think as a straight 2D performer, the Panasonic is better, but the Samsung is esthetically nicer (thinner etc), and value wise for the price is an amazing TV. Also the Samsung has the ability to upconvert 2D to 3D which works surprisingly well, and is a good feature to have until there is more true 3D content.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same question. I spent a lot of time in the store watching a 58" Panasonic Vt25 and a Samsung 58C8000. These tv's were not side by side, so I can not accurately comment on if one picture is noticeably better than the other. I do have to say that watching the Panasonic in 3d gave me a headache. I don't think it was a picture issue, but more an issue with the glasses. I also found the amount of light that they let in was really distracting.

After speaking extensively with the owner, I made the same decision that he was making for himself. I saved myself a $1000 at the time and bought the Samsung. There is absolutely no buzz issue with my tv and I find the picture to be phenomenal. Maybe the VT25 is better, but I don't regret my decision for a minute.

As mentioned, one of the big pluses is the 2D to 3D conversion. It does a better job than I had expected it would and with the limited availability of 3D programming it is a plus for this tv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the plunge! Bought the 58 inch Sammy 8000. Picture is awesome and there is no buzzing what so ever. Very nice looking unit as well. Picked it up for $3000 (TV, Sammy 6900 bluray, 2 glasses and a movie) including taxes and all.

I just don't see how the VT is worth an extra $1000, especially when I see it in my living room and have nothing to compare it too. It looks awesome!

The 2d to 3d conversion works pretty good and is great since there is no other content in 3D right now. Im going to go home and watch Avatar in 3D.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Keep an eye on it, but the black levels may be worse in 3D mode than in 2D mode.

Of course with the glasses on it should be similar since the glasses reduce light output.

regards

·
Registered
19 Posts
Samsung PN50C700 with Sony bd player ?

Ihave becom very interested in the 3D plasma by Samsung
the Pn50C7000.It is currently on sale at Future Shop
for $1799.and includes a Samsung Bd Player and 2 battery
operated 3D glasses.Here's the problem.
I have a sony ps3 with a BD dvd player inside.As of this
Sept. Sony will give you an update to 3D for your Sony BD
player.
Will a Sony 3D player work with the Samsung 3D plasma
tv using Samsung 3d glasses ?
Future shop guys say yes and Sony says no.
Anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

3D is standardized. That's the whole point.

Bet they tell you PS3 only works on Sony TVs too.

regards

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I just don't see how the VT is worth an extra $1000, especially when I see it in my living room and have nothing to compare it too. It looks awesome!
I'm taking a stab that you've never tested the VT25

1. Panasonic have the best visual crosstalk (ie virtually none)
2. You can change the black level on the VT25 for your 3D viewing mode
3. I don't know about the Sammy but the VT25 glasses are rechargeable
4. VT25 glasses fits better in my eyes (but this one is subjective).

Having items 1 & 2 already worth the $1,000. BUT, if you can't see the crosstalk on the Sammy, more power to you (don't try to look for it... for this hobby, the more you can't see/hear the better for your pocket)

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my opinion, it is at best, unwise and at worst insane to spend 3 to 4 grand on a Panasonic when the manufacturer has advised that the set has a built-in clock that reduces the black level. Without decent black level, you may as well be watching a radio.

Intelligent decision. Makes a lot more sense than plunking down 3 to 5 grand on a TV that the manufacturer has acknowledged will begin to experience black level fade.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Maxwedge discussed here.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
In my opinion, it is at best, unwise and at worst insane to spend 3 to 4 grand on a Panasonic when the manufacturer has advised that the set has a built-in clock that reduces the black level. Without decent black level, you may as well be watching a radio.

Intelligent decision. Makes a lot more sense than plunking down 3 to 5 grand on a TV that the manufacturer has acknowledged will begin to experience black level fade.
Not the best way to start out here...

From Cnet:

After about 1,500 hours the black-level performance of our TC-P50VT25 review sample has worsened, but not enough to affect our overall performance score. According to Panasonic it should not increase much further. Based on the strength of its performance against the competition, we have awarded the Panasonic TC-PVT25 series our Editors' Choice among plasma TVs for 2010.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As someone interested in these models, I'd appreciate hearing owners feedback.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a TH-58Pz800U as well as a new TC-P58VT25 and various items Blu-ray and home Theater.

My TH still is awsome, but the new TC is even better right out of the box. As for that Kuro the only thing I ever saw better (a friend has one) is it gives less reflection in higher lights.

One of the things I find much better with the TC is less light reflection than my TH and alot better at reducing artifacts on LD viewing.

Hope that gives you an idea.

As for the 3D well it does look awsome, but not a reason to buy it just yet. If it takes off well lets just say I will be wearing another pair of glasses.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Four off topic posts removed. The subject is "Panasonic VT25 vs Samsung pnc8000".

For those of you who want to go on about how superior your Kuro is, please post in another thread.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the Panny TC-P65VT25 TV and the Panny DMP-BDT350 Blu Ray - Thanks for your suggestion Hugh.

The set is outstanding. The 3D is cool but the reason I bought it was for the 2D.

As is - I love it. I plan on getting 57 over for some tweaking....maybe he can chime in after the optimization with his thoughts. I have the ahem, other as well and this Panny is stacking up very nicely indeed!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have just recently purchased the Samsung 63C8000 plasma. Mine does not buzz and the picture is fantastic in my opinion, 3D is a hoot as well. I can compare it directly to a 60 inch Pioneer Elite that I also own. I could have purchased the Panny model but like the design of the Sammy model better. No complaints here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts