Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a panasonic pz80 in my basement and now i have the g25 in my living room. A few years makes quite a difference in technology. What is the difference between 120hz. vs. 600hz.? what is the difference between 30,000-1 native contrast ratio vs. 5,000,000-1 native contrast ratio? After calibrating the g25 i have people telling me that contrast should be higher than in the 50's brightness is around 60ish. I have the contrast set at 70 now, and the picture looks great, although i guess it takes time to adjust your eyes to new settings. My question is : can the contrast set in the 70's do damage to the tv long run? i always remember people saying contrast should be low on plasma tv's to avoid burning it out early. is that a myth or is there truth to that? Keep in mind that i calibrated this tv with DVE, but i am no expert and i am learning as we go along. The colors are super on this panny by the way.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

If you actually want to do it right, then set contrast correctly and contrast ratios don't matter much ... it is what it is when the tv is set right.

It is very possible to have contrast ratios that exceed what the human eyes can handle. That kind of setting does you no good and gives people headaches. But who cares that the image is unwatchable ... look at the high contrast number. :)

regards

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Here's the FAQ on Burn in. A contrast setting in the 70s will not damage your TV. As mentioned by Michael, the contrast number should be appropriate. In your other thread, I simply mentioned that I thought that your (originally posted) contrast number may be a bit low, but that each TV is different.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

Contrast (White level) and Brightness (Black Level) affect each other. When you had your contrast at 52, you had your brightness at 68. I thought that the contrast was a bit low and the brightness a bit high based on my experience with recent Panasonic TVs. If you now increase your contrast, this will affect the brightness test and that's why I thought you might be able to increase your contrast some and decrease your brightness some.

Of course without being in front of the TV, this is difficult to comment on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Michael & 57 for your input. I am now beginning to understand how to play with the contrast and brightness level to achieve the perfect
picture. It's only by trial & error and a lot of tweaking but now I am happy with my settings. Thanks once again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts