Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the market for a DLP tv, and this is the one I've pretty much decided on. I quite like the picture quality and there don't seem to be as many problems talked about in the various forums as with other makes. I'll make the jump once the price comes down some more.

Is the <$3k for a new tv from a store? I assume the stand is extra?

Good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
John R.M. said:
... I quite like the picture quality and there don't seem to be as many problems talked about in the various forums as with other makes....
There may not be much discussion because they may not be widely available. The only one I've ever seen is an open box return to FS and it wasn't hooked up. There has been talk on AVS about how hard it is to get one in the US, so...

·
Banned
529 Posts
I got the 50" Panasonic DLP a few weeks ago for $3299 including one year no interest no payments and delivery.

Crispy

·
Registered
28 Posts
i bought it boxing day well more like christmas eve at 2001 AV for $3000 and i got the PT-43LC14's stand to go with the 50DL54 because i liked it better and was able to get it for $250. The stand for the LCD models fits the tv very nicely as the housing for the tv's is the same for dlp's and lcd's and the base part is the same on the 43's and the 50's so if you don't want to break the bank on a stand then it's a good choice. i found it nicer looking then the dlp's stand which looks like a giant fish and really takes away from the sleek look of the tv.

i returned my 50DL54 however about a week later as i came across a problem called temperal dithering which is noise in low light area's created when it is panned across the screen at a fast rate. think first person shooter games where your looking back and forth rather quickly and that's what caused it for me. if you don't plan on playing first person shooters then you should never run into the problem, none of my other games had this problem and it was only noticable in FPSer's (i tried football, basketball, racing games, action games, etc).

it's a great tv, i find that normal cable looks better on lcd (can't comment on digital cause i didn't get that until after i traded in the dlp) but i found the dlp had alot of problems with blacks like shadows and stuff. On one instance i was watching ghost in the shell (anime) and a bunch of police officers were running down a hallway. The word "POLICE" which was black on their chest was trailing behind a bit and it was noticably about a 1/4 second or so behind so that it appeared to start on their arm. Another thing i noticed was that when there was a close up of someone's face on tv their facial expressions looked to be morphing and were noticably in the shadow area's behind what you would expect to see in their facial expression. This really bothered me as well and i tried everything to get rid of it but it just wasn't happening, i think all of these problems relate to temperal dithering but i'm not an expert and can't state it as fact but for me it seemed that i noticed these things and once i did i couldn't stop looking at them when they were on screen.

·
Banned
529 Posts
The fan is fairly audible but once you see the PQ you tend to ignore it.

Crispy

* Called Panasonic Canada about the fan noise and they are sending my area repair place a sound deadening kit for the TV. I encourage others to do the same. *

·
Registered
7 Posts
Panasonic PT50DL54

This is a great DLP television. unfortunately several times recently the set has shut down. We've had to do a reboot to get the picture back, a process which has taken up to 20 minutes. I am wondering if any owners of this tv or similar DLP's have had this problem. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts