Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted here in a long time but I wanted to tell some old friends at Digital Home about the best looking television I have ever seen. Of course, I'm sure many will disagree but something to think about if you are looking to buy a top notch panel in the coming 12 months.

This week I had the opportunity to attend the Panasonic Dealer Show and see the 2013 line-up of Panasonic products. As always, I was most interested in seeing the new televisions.

When I entered the viewing area, there were seven flat panels on the main display (including both LED and plasma) which were all about 60" in size. All seven looked very good so I spent about five minutes watching them to see if I could see any significant differences. Within a few minutes I had graded all seven panels from best to worst. After reviewing with the Panasonic product person, I was pleased that indeed I had segmented all seven correctly.

My conclusion was that despite the high quality of all the sets, the eye could quickly distinguish the varying levels of quality. It also told me that with Panasonic you get what you pay for!

The best of all the sets was the 65 inch TV-P65ZT60. According to Panasonic, the new ZT series is superior for a number of reasons including: a new Hexa Processing Engine, a new panel structure where the front glass is grafted to the panel thereby eliminating the air gap layer, and a wider colour gamut thanks to a newly developed red phosphor.

The 65 inch TV-P65ZT60 will be available by June for $5,000 while the 60 inch TC-P60ZT60 will be availlabe in May for $4,300.

To really see how good this TV was, I went "backstage" with some folks from Panasonic. Backstage was a dark room with couches with three 60" Plasma televisions set up side by Side. There was the new ZT series, the new VT Series and last years VT series.

In a nutshell, I was amazed at the outstanding picture quality of the new ZT Series. The black level was the best I have every seen, the colour (especially the reds) were tremendous. Simply speaking, it was the best looking television I have ever seen.

Obviously, the bulk of the population will not be able to afford the ZT series but if you can afford it and you want the best then get it.

Cheers,
Hugh

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Nice to see you are still around Hugh!
As for the TV's are they 3D compatible?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Damn, now I really wish I can fit a 60 inch tv into my setup.

In regards to the screening, what was the source material? And were the sets calibrated?

Also, I'm assuming you ranked the vt60 and the vt50 as 2 and 3 respectively, behind the zt60, is that correct? And when might we see the new vt models go on sale?

Sorry, one more question, what impressed you about the reds, was is the saturation?

Thanks

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you are like me and have numerous issues with LCD/LED, buying the best plasma there is to tide you over until OLED technology becomes more affordable, starts to make more sense.

There are rumours about Panasonic ceasing production of plasma screens now, so surely time is running short for these great plasma televisions.

·
Registered
842 Posts
No sure if this hijacks the thread and if so mods can remove but is there any chance you could comment on the lower end budget panasonic models if you saw them ?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Late replies

As for the TV's are they 3D compatible?
Best to check the specs on all these tv's. I can only comment on the 2D Video image.

Sorry, one more question, what impressed you about the reds, was is the saturation?
Pretty much.

There are rumours about Panasonic ceasing production of plasma screens now, so surely time is running short for these great plasma televisions.
Panasonic has vigorously denied that rumour.

FWIW, I wish I could afford this set. Hoping to save my money and possibly picking one up in 2014.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
That's really great news...on so many fronts Hugh.

Not just because of this being the best TV you have ever seen...but that they're not just one and done.

Now perhaps I can move my KURO to my bedroom and add the ZT to the Home Theatre area.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am having my failed Panasonic 60GT50 taken away and the 65ZT60 delivered on Wednesday. Hopefully will last longer than the 60GT50 !!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I returned the 65Zt60 after one day..........the fan noise was a complete joke...I really don't understand how it could go out of the factory like that..........POS !!!!!

I'm getting a 65ST60......no fans......and paying half the price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
panasonic P65tz60 in Canada

what dealers, especially in albera would carry or order the p65tz60 as I would like to save an order one in the next month or so. I am not worried about cost or anything as I see they are around $4999.99 give or take but the 65 would be worth it. I think one store in Calgary carred or could order the 60 inch version of the p65tz60 or what ever model that would be but I am looking for the 65 inch version as I have the space down stairs for the setup. Help me find a dealer if possible please.

Edward Letendre

·
Registered
87 Posts
never mind

I found my answer, visions in Calgary carries this tv for around $4987 or there abouts, a good deal with tax and electronic fees on top, no suprise. But I have a target and a location so I am set (let the saving begin).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I returned the 65Zt60 after one day..........the fan noise was a complete joke...I really don't understand how it could go out of the factory like that..........POS !!!!!

I'm getting a 65ST60......no fans......and paying half the price.
I read reports that there is a fix for the fan noise. See this quote from elsewhere

Latest Update:

"As confirmed by a few members, now the foam fix is being done at the factory. Any built date after July 2013 should have the fix pre-installed. If you have an earlier build, you can call Panasonic, and they will send a technician to install the foam fix."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts