Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from Canadian Press release

The VIERA G10 Plasma series include features like the VIERA CAST web menu, a THX Certified Display and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards.

The Neo PDP design of the G10 series also offers 1080p resolution, deeper blacks, improved native contrast ratio of 40,000:1, Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution, an Infinite Black panel, 600Hz Sub-field Drive, as well as Game Mode and VIERA Link.

The G10 series will be available in a 54-inch class (54” measured diagonally), 50-inch class (49.9” measured diagonally), 46-inch class (46” measured diagonally), and 42-inch class (41.6” measured diagonally) screen size. The 42-inch, 46-inch and 50-inch HDTVs will be available in April 2009, while the 54-inch model will be available in June 2009.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting this model; it will probably be my next tv. I'm on the fence though, because the S1 also seems like a good value, except that it's missing the THX certification. So the question I have is, is the THX certification really worth it? Especially if I go ahead and have the S1 calibrated anyways, is paying up for the model with the 'THX' mode just a marketing/software gimmick?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The review in question actually used custom mode for calibration as the THX mode wasn't as flexible. The custom mode provided much higher contrast ratios after calibration.

If you plan on having someone calibrate it then go with the S1 since the custom mode would be the same as the G10. Remember that there are some other features on the G10 that are not on the S1 like a PC input.

·
Registered
241 Posts
TC-P46G10
$1,699.95 US

TC-P50G10
$1799.95 US

46'' 1080p Full-HD Plasma
MSP: $2,199.99 CAN
TC-P46G10 50'' 1080p Full-HD Plasma
MSP: $2,699.99 CAN
TC-P50G10
$100 Difference in the US but $500 in Canada between the 46" and the 50". Again Canadians being ripped off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This was Panasonic's response to the price differential:
"Thank you for your e-mail. Please be advised that there are a number of factors to consider when reviewing the Canadian vs. the U.S. pricing, for
instance:

o First and foremost, the biggest factor that comes into play is that
the Canadian market is much smaller than the US, which affects how much items cost. The US sells higher volume, which allows them to purchase at lower costs and offer reduced pricing. It's the same as buying bulk vs. single items at the grocery store - bulk is always cheaper.

o In Canada, we have added business costs including bilingual packaging
and product requirements that US companies don't need to fulfill.

o Finally, at Panasonic Canada our warranties are not the same as those
offered in the US. In many cases, our warranties are longer and we offer added service levels that are not available in the US.

We understand your frustration and it's always in our best interest to ensure Canadian consumers enjoy quality product, good value and high service levels from Panasonic.

Sincerely,
Customer Care Centre
Panasonic Canada Inc."

·
Registered
67 Posts
one thing i noticed on the warranty cards is the usa one specifically mentions burn in is not covered, where on the canadian one it doesnt specifically say that and they are known to fix burn in if it ever happened with the canadian warranty. read it yourself.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I have a question with regards to the new Panasonic Plasmas in general, however, since I read this disturbing little nugget in CNET's review of the G10, I'm placing it here.

"The TV lacks picture in picture and cannot freeze the image temporarily to catch a phone number, for example."

I could care less about a freeze feature but I routinely watch pip (sports) and this would be a deal breaker...

I must not be understanding something as this seems wrong...but when checking the wife's plasma...I can't find pip and hers is Panasonic as well.

My question is this...can anyone confirm this to be true...and if so...is this the norm in Plasmas?

·
Registered
146 Posts
So can the S1 be calibrated using it's user menu (not the service menu) to match the G10 after it's calibrated as well using the user menu, thus negating the need to get a G10?

Also, are the two identical in regards to sound quality (don't have a surround sound unit yet)?

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
dm_4u The PiP feature in a TV is generally pretty useless these days as most people have digital TV. The TV itself is often very limited in what can be displayed PiP - often limited to the internal tuner and one device via a certain type of connection. You'd need to check the operating manual for what is doable - there is usually a chart, table or explanation. See the following thread for additional comments:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=96927&highlight=PiP*

If the device feeding the TV has PiP capability, then you're all set. Some dual-tuner STBs have the capability, while PVRs often preclude the need for PiP.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Yes the 42, 46 and 50 inchers are on display in Winnipeg.

57...perhaps I need something other than traditional PIP...as I use a 9200 and a 3100 together on one tv and watch HD and have the sd in the corner...so what I like to do is watch two sources at the same time.

Does anyone know if these Plasmas have the ability to display TWO inputs at one time?

Honestly I can't believe that no one thinks this is a HUGE issue!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't see how PIP is an issue anymore. The only reason why it took off was because at the time most cable channels didn't need an additional decoder box. Adding a second tuner to the tv was no biggie.

Well with HDTV boxes for all types of tv (sat, cable, fiber, etc) you would need to waste a second tuner just for the PIP. Meaning you would essentially have to turn your PVR into a second viewing, and for some, that may be acceptable.

Now this whole argument goes to hell if you're watching PIP with a DVD and a satellite or cable tv and a satellite box, because you're just using a different input on the PIP and not a second tuner.

I used to own a fancy Sony XBR in the 90's that had PIP and a motorized mount so it could swivel by remote, both of the novelities wore off quickly.

EDIT: I didn't read page 2 before answering, therefore I didn't see 57's reply. But he hit the nail on the head!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I can't believe that this isn't an issue for most people as I watch a lot of pip using two different Satellite sources.

The reason I say this is because Pioneer's all had pip and after a lot of research...it appears the new Panasonic V10's will have it to...

"Multi Window PIP/PAP/PAT"

1 - 20 of 63 Posts