Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Nels Stewart said:
I have the S97 hooked up both ways to my new Toshiba 44-inch DLP and I am still struggling to get a good picture. Via HDMI>DVI I get macroblocking galore, terrible noise in greys and whites and an overall ugly digital look. Via component, the macroblocking is less problematic, but there is still considerable noise and "clay face." Yes, I've calibrated the set with Sound & Vision, and while I'm still playing with the settings on the dvd player to see if I can get a good result, I'd have to say my six-year old first gen progressive scan Toshiba dvd player is a far better performer.

I'd be interested to hear any tips from anyone who has managed to get this combination to work well for them.
I thought DLP did not need calibration like RPTV's??

Have you tried changing the settings in the DVD players for video transfer?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I thought DLP did not need calibration like RPTV's??
Not for convergence, but settings like contrast, brightness, etc can still be fine-tuned.

BTW, I exchanged emails with Panasonic Canada re my problems with macroblocking and digital noise, and today I brought it in for a new firmware install, 85E536. They said it just became available yesterday, Jan 20. Macroblocking has now virtually disappeared, and while there's still a little digital noise in difficult scenes like fog, this is now a pretty nice player.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Nels Stewart said:
BTW, I exchanged emails with Panasonic Canada re my problems with macroblocking and digital noise, and today I brought it in for a new firmware install, 85E536. They said it just became available yesterday, Jan 20. Macroblocking has now virtually disappeared, and while there's still a little digital noise in difficult scenes like fog, this is now a pretty nice player.
I haven't really watched too many movies but have not noticed any macro blocking...........can the upgrade be done without servicing like a download similar to the LG?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
462 Posts
Maniac said:
Later on, similar information went on the other Panny sites as well.
What information? Was any information posted that the panny could upconvert via component (which was never true)?

If there was none, then the purchaser who assumed otherwise did not do enough homework. If there was some official false specs, then panny should be taken to task for that kind of thing.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
462 Posts
joedoe said:
Has anyone with a new RPTV looked at both methods?
As you know, I have.

I do know of other posters at AVS and others who have had the same experiences with ghosting/green artifacts on that LG. Could they have fixed it via firmware updates in the last 60 days or so?

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Mike,

There was no false information. Panasonic clearly mentioned in their press releases and on the website that it upconverted via HDMI.

The spec you see on Panasonic Canada and US also indicates it as well.
720p/1080i Upconversion Yes (via HDMI output only) [US site]
720p and 1080i Upconversion with HDMI [Canada site]

·
Registered
462 Posts
Maniac said:
Mike,

There was no false information. Panasonic clearly mentioned in their press releases and on the website that it upconverted via HDMI.
I don't believe we are understanding each other here Maniac.

I previously made the comment that people who bought the s97 under the impression that it could upconvert via component or if they bought the s97 for a set that only accepts component did not do their homework.

Certainly there is no advantage to paying extra for an upsampler that won't upsample on your TV.

Maniac, your claim here corroborates what I have been saying all along.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
oh I get what you mean now.

The 1st two questoins in your initial post I interpreted as something else which is why I responded that way.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I haven't seen any. The last one I saw was when I bought it in early Jan. so it's been a month.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The S97s are available in several places:
Online stores in the US
Best Buy Canada (from what I heard)
Future Shop (I've seen them in person)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
London Drugs (Burnaby - Lougheed Mall) has them -- or at least they have one on display - I haven't checked to see if they have others in stock. It was tagged at $349+ recently -- it's back up to $399+ at present.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rawker said:
will this player be obsolete when hd-dvd comes out?
well of course if you want to play HD-DVD's (whatever format becomes dominant) you will have to purchase a new player that supports that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I went to the Richmond Future Shop at Bridgeport this weekend and saw an S97. It wasn't on display but they at least have two boxes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
mike infinity said:
Then you must not have seen the sammy 841 and toshiba upsamplers...both of which are MUCH worse.

The panny s97 is on par with lg7832 for MB...which is actually an excellent performance. I almost never spot any MB on this unit and so its clearly a non-issue for me (and I suspect most people).

Its arguably the best DVD player money can by for less than $300 CAD. If the LG didn't have the green artifacts in shadow areas or crush whites on DVI, then it would be on par with the panny. And the feature set of the panny is second to none IMO.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to this Home Entertainment stuff. I have a Samsung DLP and I just bought the LG7832 last week. The macroblocking is just horrible. I also see the "ghosting" and the green artifacts. My question to the whole forum is should I upgrade to the S97 (about $180 more than the LG)? Can someone with experience with both players say which they prefer? I bought the LG for two reasons: price and component upscaling (thinking that when I get an HD box from Expressvu I will be using the DVI connector). Can HD cable or satellite boxes connect through component? If yes I am inclined to upgrade to the S97, especially since the new firmware improved the macroblocking problem. Also, I just ordered Avia from Amazon, should be getting it in a few days. Does anyone believe that calibrating my system with Avia will improve the PQ of the LG?

Thanks a lot, this is a great forum.
Paul

81 - 100 of 193 Posts