Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Some TVs have a sort of "auto-stretch" (when fed 480P). Have you tried outputting the signal as 480i and see if that helps?

Sometimes these issues are also related to non-anamorphic DVDs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
RNAChemist said:
Have they fixed the annoying macroblocking problem yet? I have seen this DVD player in action and frankly in looks quite bad.
Then you must not have seen the sammy 841 and toshiba upsamplers...both of which are MUCH worse.

The panny s97 is on par with lg7832 for MB...which is actually an excellent performance. I almost never spot any MB on this unit and so its clearly a non-issue for me (and I suspect most people).

Its arguably the best DVD player money can by for less than $300 CAD. If the LG didn't have the green artifacts in shadow areas or crush whites on DVI, then it would be on par with the panny. And the feature set of the panny is second to none IMO.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
635 Posts
mike infinity said:
If the LG didn't have the green artifacts in shadow areas or crush whites on DVI, then it would be on par with the panny. And the feature set of the panny is second to none IMO.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn
No white crushing on the LG7832 if you update the firmware (see LG post). There are basically two firmwares now available for the LG7832....1. older firmware which allows upconversion to 720p/1080i via component (white crushing via DVI still exists)...2. newer firmware which fixes the white crushing via DVI, but essentially disables the upconversion to 720p/1080i via component (hit or miss with upconversion...on a very limited sample of 15 DVDs or so, only half upconverted via component). One can switch back and forth between these two firmwares.

If one needs to upconvert to 720p/1080i via component, the LG7832 is one of the very few DVD players that has this capability.

Dave

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
DavidY said:
No white crushing on the LG7832 if you update the firmware (see LG post). There are basically two firmwares now available for the LG7832....1. older firmware which allows upconversion to 720p/1080i via component (white crushing via DVI still exists)...2. newer firmware which fixes the white crushing via DVI, but essentially disables the upconversion to 720p/1080i via component (hit or miss with upconversion...on a very limited sample of 15 DVDs or so, only half upconverted via component). One can switch back and forth between these two firmwares.

If one needs to upconvert to 720p/1080i via component, the LG7832 is one of the very few DVD players that has this capability.

Dave
And for that alone the lg is a winner.
Combined with the fact that I got it for $150 makes it even better.
Why this mania to only allow upconversion thru DVI is behond me...

Aren't the flags that prevent copying still present in the component signal?
The folks that only have components sets got screwed with this deal... :(

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
joedoe said:
Not sure if this is the player or TV. When I start watching a 2.35:1 ratio movie it starts with black bars on top and bottom but after approx. 5 secs it stretches it out??!! I have tried changing all the setting on both the player and TV and just can't seem to get it to stay on proper aspect ratio. The TV I have is Toshiba 51H84C. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
It seems that the Panasonic has settings within settings. There was a setting for the type of video transfer. It was set at 24 frames a sec. When I changed it to 24 fps or 30 fps it then did not stretch it.

I havent gone through both my manuals yet but I'm sure there is a good reason for having different types like that. There is others modes as well.

I must say the picture looked very sharp. I just tried a few DVD's to see how they looked and Matrix and Gladiator both looked awesome. Matrix has some very dark scenes at beginning and they looked good.

I watched a bit of T2 and it looked awesome.

I am not sure though if it is all because of the upconversion or not. I don't have component cables to test to see how that looks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
DavidY said:
One can switch back and forth between these two firmwares.
An awkward solution to say the least. It boggles the mind that LG can't correct one problem without causing another after all this time.

Moreover, the LG player has a problem with residual ghosting and green artifacting in shadows that do not exist on the panny (which were more noticable than white crush).

Not to mention the fact that the LG hangs if you use a DVI-HDMI cable, eliminating the DVI option for any of us who happen to have HDMI sets.

Yes, this remains the only reason to purchase the LG. People just have to weigh the issues and decide. If the panny s97 offered upsampling over component then it would be no contest.

Personally, I am very dissappointed with LG's quality control on this unit. The panny is much more robust.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I guess you should turn off the auto aspect ratio feature of the TV, but it makes me wonder if you have your DVD player set correct for a 16:9 widescreen TV? The DVD player I'm currently using is not compatible with that feature of the TV for some reason, but the player I had before was and the TV never made a mistake like this.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
JohnnyG said:
I guess you should turn off the auto aspect ratio feature of the TV, but it makes me wonder if you have your DVD player set correct for a 16:9 widescreen TV? The DVD player I'm currently using is not compatible with that feature of the TV for some reason, but the player I had before was and the TV never made a mistake like this.
Auto aspect ratio was turned off from beginning. I changed the DVD player settings about 1/2 half through to correct settings of 16:9.

Maybe it wasn't even the setting I said......maybe it was shutdown both the player and TV and then turning them on in correct order......TV first and player 2nd.

It works now : ) so I am a happier camper

·
Registered
462 Posts
HammerJoe said:
And for that alone the lg is a winner.
Not in my book. I use hdmi for DVD and use component upsampling for my STB instead. I would rather do that than have to put up with the various QC issues on the LG.

Why this mania to only allow upconversion thru DVI is behond me...
Because it is a non-issue for lots of people....especially anyone who has bought a set in the last two years.

The folks that only have components sets got screwed with this deal... :(
No, they just didn't do their homework.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
mike infinity said:
No, they just didn't do their homework.
That's not true, when I researched my HDTV (almost 4 years ago) there was no DVI available. It wasn't even on the radar screen. It surfaced several months after I bought (late 2001) and started to be put on TVs a year later, some of which were not even HDCP DVI... So, this is "relatively recent".

Now, I accept the consequences of being an early adopter, however, homework was not the issue.

·
Registered
462 Posts
57 said:
Now, I accept the consequences of being an early adopter, however, homework was not the issue.
There is a misunderstanding here (my fault when I responded to the post on this).

I meant that they did not do their homework if they bought the panny s97 and all they have is a component connection. The panny does not support upconversion via component and there are plenty of other players that will give you equal 480p component out for 1/3 the price (even other pannys with the same feature set).

Personally, I don't think the options are too bad for those without HDMI/DVI these days. Certainly upconversion doesn't do alot to a 480p signal anyway, poarticularly if you own a non-fixed pixel HDTV that requires no upsampling. And I would be pretty confident that the new HD DVD units will output 1080i via component.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
462 Posts
57 said:
I was also just skimming the thread, so I may have missed your intention. No harm done either way? ;)
None :eek: .

Actually, I went back and read the post I responded to get the intention of the poster. I can't tell if he means component-only owners 'got screwed' because of no support from panny or if component-only owners 'got screwed' because they bought the panny and it doesn't upconvert for them (which was my take).

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
I am sorry if I wasn't clear...

I meant users in general, that got sets before any talk of digital was even talked about and component was the best of the best out there...

I feel cheated in a sense that I have a perfectly working set that can display 1080i HD with absolutley no problems and just because some a******s thought that we are pirates pisses me off as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
HammerJoe said:
and just because some a******s thought that we are pirates pisses me off as well.
To be fair, hdmi and DVI were not invented for the sole purpose of copy protection. Digital media to digital TV without analog conversion makes sense.

CRTs are not digital techlology. So even in the newest CRT (with digital inputs) you are still getting analog colour signalling fed to the CRT tubes. It doesn't really matter where the analog conversion is done (although you get less potential for losses and noise for digital trasmission...but this is negligible between the components of your home theatre). So if you have a CRT, theres no real gain by doing analog conversion inside the box vs outside the box. IOW, you don't NEED DVI/HDMI because there is nothing to gain (besides compatibility) by having it. And I am quite certain that there will be solutions for component-only TVs for some time to come.

There should be something to gain with LCD/DLP sets because the core technology is digital. IOW, there is something to lose with D to A and A to D conversion in those sets. If you start with digital, it makes sense to keep it digital on digital sets.

And as for copy protection, we all know that pirates will find means of circumventing the security within 5 minutes of the realease of the new standard. Lets face it, if the sets can display the signal then the signal can be duplicated without too much trouble. That will never change.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
mike infinity,

I don't believe owners did get mis-informed if they looked at the details before purchasing the unit reguarding upconvertion.

The is information posted back in September when info was listed on the Panasonic Japanese Press. The same say, info was on AVS which was translated in English by a forum member.

Later on, similar information went on the other Panny sites as well.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
No probs yet

Have watched a few movies and tested a few scences from others and have found nothing wrong yet. Picture looks awesome but as I stated before.......because I have a RPTV I am not sure if I would get same results using component or not. I have read using the HDMI cable is a bigger difference on fixed pixel sets. Has anyone with a new RPTV looked at both methods?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have the S97 hooked up both ways to my new Toshiba 44-inch DLP and I am still struggling to get a good picture. Via HDMI>DVI I get macroblocking galore, terrible noise in greys and whites and an overall ugly digital look. Via component, the macroblocking is less problematic, but there is still considerable noise and "clay face." Yes, I've calibrated the set with Sound & Vision, and while I'm still playing with the settings on the dvd player to see if I can get a good result, I'd have to say my six-year old first gen progressive scan Toshiba dvd player is a far better performer.

I'd be interested to hear any tips from anyone who has managed to get this combination to work well for them.

61 - 80 of 193 Posts