Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Maniac said:
dm_4u,

Depends on how well the player does to see improvements on upscaling players.

The Hitachi's have a good scaler so there isn't anything to worry about. I have the Hitachi 57TWX20B with my RP82 and S97 and it's fantastic using 480p over component. I don't have a DVI adapter so I haven't tested the S97 using HDMI for viewing purposes.
----------------

Reguarding the DVD-S97, the manual also states officially they don't support PAL (because PAL is not used in North America). The player is capable of playing PAL by checking the region info which has been verified.
Maniac...does the S97 play Divx...if it does, my search is over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
RNA,

It only upconverts over HDMI only. Already been verified by owners such as myself and mentioned in the AVS forums.

Cool thing with this unit is that you can output put HDMI and Component at the same time using Faroudja.
----
dm_4u,

I never tried the a DivX so I cannot provide you with a definte answer.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Would the S97 be of any real use for someone without a widescreen/modern TV and a basic A/V receiver? The Panny receiver does support 6-channel DVD input, as well as optical.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's also got coax as well.

I'm not quite sure how you define modern and basic, but if you provide more details that will be better.

The unit does come to real use thou in any case. I mean I had the RP82 hooked on a analog TV and an amplifier before I gotten HDTV and AV reciever.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My TV is a 15-year old beast with only 2 inputs (RF, and combined composite/S-video), so I route everything through the receiver in order to accomodate all my A/V toys. The receiver has component, composite, and S-video inputs, but it does not do switching between them, so everything is S-video based.

I took a look at the S97 manual, and it has the basics as well as all the new toys, so it really is quite versatile (if only it came in black).

I'm probably at least 2 years away from being able to afford a CRT based 16:9 TV with multiple inputs (prices are expected to drop quite a bit by late next year on these).

·
Registered
143 Posts
bgclarke said:
I'm probably at least 2 years away from being able to afford a CRT based 16:9 TV with multiple inputs (prices are expected to drop quite a bit by late next year on these).
If I were you I'd put the money towards a new TV first and worry about an expensive DVD player later.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Cholerabob said:
How would it go with a Panasonic plasma TH42PWD7UY display ?? Any better than the good old RP82 or XP30 ???
I believe the plasma your talking about is only 852x480 so it might look better but you won't see the benefit of the upconversion to 1080i or 720p.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not interested in the upconversion, i'm interested on the de-interlacer quality, pulldown and all other neat stuff that the RP82 does. Can this player do it better ? Or does it have issues...?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The S97 provides a more colorful, fuller, detailed picture than the the RP82/XP serues. The video also looks more film like as well and it de-interlaces better with FLI23XX when come to scrolling scenes compared with the FLI2200 chip.

The S97 does have an issue but it's not with Panasonic, it's Faroudja because there is a bug in the chip which is causing macroblocking issues. Depending on what you watch, you can see it in various ways.

Panasonic is working with Faroudja to come up with and update to fix it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Maniac said:
The S97 provides a more colorful, fuller, detailed picture than the the RP82/XP serues. The video also looks more film like as well and it de-interlaces better with FLI23XX when come to scrolling scenes compared with the FLI2200 chip.

The S97 does have an issue but it's not with Panasonic, it's Faroudja because there is a bug in the chip which is causing macroblocking issues. Depending on what you watch, you can see it in various ways.

Panasonic is working with Faroudja to come up with and update to fix it.
Any time frame on this...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Unknown, but they are working on it. I keep asking about status updates and they said I needed to have some patience. So will just sit still for a while.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perhaps a silly question for S97 owners... Does the player come with an HDMI cable or do I need to buy it myself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Santa dropped off the S97 a few days ago.
Yes it comes with an HDMI cable.
I highly recommend it.
It is a great machine and is currently on sale at Futureshop and Bestbuy.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Any new developments?? I am looking at getting a new DVD player with upconversion for my new 51" Toshiba H84C

The panny is lookin like first choice but denon is an option as well or any other new ones. What about the new Samsung 941 which I can't find at any CDN retailers?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Just picked it up for 329.99 at FS. Stock seems to be very limited so I picked up last one even though I don't get my HDTV till Wed.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
RNAChemist said:
Have they fixed the annoying macroblocking problem yet? I have seen this DVD player in action and frankly in looks quite bad.
I wasn't even aware there was a problem with that. I will be hooking it up in the middle of next week so can't tell ya my experience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have watched many movies with this player and so far no problems.
Amazing picture.
I may be a problem with the particular display used.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Not sure if this is the player or TV. When I start watching a 2.35:1 ratio movie it starts with black bars on top and bottom but after approx. 5 secs it stretches it out??!! I have tried changing all the setting on both the player and TV and just can't seem to get it to stay on proper aspect ratio. The TV I have is Toshiba 51H84C. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

41 - 60 of 193 Posts