Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Oh Man!!

I'm confused again. I was looking to get the Toshiba SD-5970 but after reading this forum....well you get the picture.

:confused:

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Well, I now own two upconverting DVD players. The LG 7832 and the Denon 1910. I much prefer the Denon. PQ overall seems sharper on my LG DLP and macroblocking in dark scenes is 99.9% eliminated. Very nice and more tweakable than the LG. For $100 more, I vote for the Denon.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Help...Divx

Does anyone know if the S97 plays Divx?

It sure sounds like an awesome DVD player, although considering I have the Hitachi 51S500 RPTV, I am not sure whether I will notice the difference through DVI.

Can anyone help...

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Yes it does but I have not heard just how "well" it plays various MPEG4 files. Meaning older codecs and newer ones. Maybe someone could report here their findings.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The DVD player is HDMI so you will have to get an adapter for DVI.

Reguarding the DivX file, I don't think it is confirmed yet even thou saids in the spec MPEG4. I'm assuming it's just the generic one even thou some other codecs are reconized as MP4 like DivX.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Divx is the most popular of the MPEG4 codecs so I would imagine that it would be the best of the lot ... as far as being supported.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok,

So I went out and got the S97 instead of the Toshiba. Holy Shomly I love the picture this thing puts out. I've got it hooked up through the HDMI connection converting up to 1080i on my PT47X54. No Complaints so far.

I have yet to have an in depth look at it in terms of being able to play Divx, as well as checking out some material that is encoded in MPEG4. By the way, does anyone know any material I can get my hands on for testing MPEG4?

I will keep you guys posted as I discover and learn new things about the S97.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Try searching on the net for any files (movie trailers etc) that are encoded in DIVX V5 or XVID. In fact I think the web sites divx.com and xvid.org have links to material.

If you get a chance try also 3ivX, QuickTime and Microsoft. You may not get audio in Quicktime MPEG4 files as it used AAC. But worth a test none the less.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
sezer_79 said:
Ok,

So I went out and got the S97 instead of the Toshiba. Holy Shomly I love the picture this thing puts out. I've got it hooked up through the HDMI connection converting up to 1080i on my PT47X54. No Complaints so far.

I have yet to have an in depth look at it in terms of being able to play Divx, as well as checking out some material that is encoded in MPEG4. By the way, does anyone know any material I can get my hands on for testing MPEG4?

I will keep you guys posted as I discover and learn new things about the S97.
OK Sezer...I am dying to hear if this thing plays Divx, if it does, (hoping), then I can finally make the decision to purchase a new player.

I do realize that the manual says it does not play Divx, however, it also states that it doesn't play DVD+R/RW and on the Avs forum, Paul states that he has checked and played those...so here's hopin'

This is a much longer battle than expected, what with all the supposed problems of the upconverting players and the lack of Divx.

I wish a manufacturer would make a DVD player that plays ALL Video formats, (in an upconverting player), and leave the CD manufacturers to worry about the small faction that want DVD-A and SACD, or at least wait until the VHS/Betamax issue is settled.

·
Registered
173 Posts
dm_4u said:
OK Sezer...I am dying to hear if this thing plays Divx, if it does, (hoping), then I can finally make the decision to purchase a new player.

I do realize that the manual says it does not play Divx, however, it also states that it doesn't play DVD+R/RW and on the Avs forum, Paul states that he has checked and played those...so here's hopin'

This is a much longer battle than expected, what with all the supposed problems of the upconverting players and the lack of Divx.

I wish a manufacturer would make a DVD player that plays ALL Video formats, (in an upconverting player), and leave the CD manufacturers to worry about the small faction that want DVD-A and SACD, or at least wait until the VHS/Betamax issue is settled.
I would love to test DivX, BUT I do not have an internet connection or cable yet as I have just moved to a new residence. I should be getting these services soon though.

Phillips makes a "play all formats" DVD player, but it does not upconvert and from some of the reviews that I've read it sounds like the progressive scan engine leaves much to be desired.

Well, as soon as I get internet I will be sure download some divX material and give it a go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's the Phillips DVP-642, I have that as my Divx, VCD and SVCD player which is great for the price!!! I have the LG 7832 as my regular DVD player. IMHO you probably won't want to upconvert Divx movies, since you'll more than likely end up magnifying the flaws on it as well, just like what happens when I upconvert my VCDs on the LG.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
zeta_msz_006 said:
That's the Phillips DVP-642, I have that as my Divx, VCD and SVCD player which is great for the price!!! I have the LG 7832 as my regular DVD player. IMHO you probably won't want to upconvert Divx movies, since you'll more than likely end up magnifying the flaws on it as well, just like what happens when I upconvert my VCDs on the LG.
That seems to be the problem, there is not one player that can do both.
Yamaha has released a new DVD player, (S550), that seems to be able to play all video modes and is relatively cheap, (under $200 canadian), however my RPTV, (the Hitachi 51S500), does not natively display 480p so that's why i would like an upconverting player.

Any thoughts...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well the problem is not getting a player to do both, but rather a player that does both and everything else in between well, which also doesn't cost you an arm and a leg!!! IMHO that's never going to happen. As for a player that does both (Divx and upconvert) without much cost, you can check out the LGDVB418 which unfortunatly is not available in Canada yet, so don't know how well it actually performs.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
zeta_msz_006 said:
Yeah MPEG4 support does not automatically equal support for Divx, very common mistake most people make.
What I find odd is that they only support a small subset of MPEG-4 files. It would be like building an iPod that only plays MP3Pro files and not MP3 files. XVID is a fully compliant MPEG-4 ISO codec yet they don't specifiy if it plays ISO files. What are standards for if nobody is going to respect them. Now I can understand certain players only supporting certain profiles and feature sets.

It sounds to me like licensing/pirating was an issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
dm_4u,

Depends on how well the player does to see improvements on upscaling players.

The Hitachi's have a good scaler so there isn't anything to worry about. I have the Hitachi 57TWX20B with my RP82 and S97 and it's fantastic using 480p over component. I don't have a DVI adapter so I haven't tested the S97 using HDMI for viewing purposes.
----------------

Reguarding the DVD-S97, the manual also states officially they don't support PAL (because PAL is not used in North America). The player is capable of playing PAL by checking the region info which has been verified.

21 - 40 of 193 Posts