Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
looking for some input from people who know more than me :rolleyes:

I was lucky today and found a s97 in FS for a great price so its in my house now with the 541 firmware update..... looks great took away the pink tone amazingly.

I will not sound like a comercial any more but am wondering what everyones player settings are at to get the best picture, just looking for a starting point seeing as there are so many to mess with... the Auto thing, the cinima settings, the brightness and contrast are the majors

also with a CRTrear projection tv, if that helps.,.. i set the majors setting to darker and rear projection... but looking to fine tune thanks in advance..I also dont have a tuner disk.,.. if any one was going to try and be smrt and advise that... i cant find on here in this small town.... Thxs

·
Banned
467 Posts
Hossss, one school of thought is have the dvd player adjustments all set to zero or neutral and send the unadjusted signal to your display which you would calibrate with a dvd like AVIA. I'm sure there are other methods...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Settings will be different for different tvs. Use a calibration DVD to properly set up. I use the user setting and adjust all the setting within there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks.....BTW i live In thunder bay and been looking for an ISF person but the closest isi about 6 hours away if anyone has any ideas about assistance on this issue it would be great.. i have already searched the ISF page for the closet person...

·
Banned
467 Posts
The Future Shop thart you bought the s97 at may be able to order a disc for you. AVIA is kind of expernsive, the Sound & Vision calibration disc might be enough since you don't have a projector. You could also order one of these discs from Amazon, just go to their web page and start clicking. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by ISF person.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
RNAChemist,

I asked Panasonic about 541 awhile back and they said it only addressed the "PAL issue". I don't have any PAL material to play back so I didn't do the update from 540.

Mike

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thanks Mr. Paw. I dont think I am going to upgrade it. There is no need. Not to mention if I do upgrade and for some reason the macroblocking in 541 is worse than 540 there is no going back! Everything look great right now so I am not going ot mess it up!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm going to pick up a S77 sometime soon (after I get my screen set up). I hope I don't get any macroblocking issues with it and my Panny AE700. From everything I have read online, it sounds like a solid unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I finally bought an oppodigital from their website. Can$199.00. It plays absolutely everything I've thrown at it including all p2p download formats. I can also put 5 movies on 1DVD disc and it plays.

I should add that the %zoom, subtitle, aspect ratio and other features on the remote are invaluable. Zoom gives mushc less picture distortion than panasonic or native plasma remote.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: November 13 2005

writedoc said:
Just got the speakers yesterday (Oct 12) and I hooked them up, the "break-in period" is between 50 to 100 hours of music playback. I've already "fried" the subwoofer! Seems that there is a known issue with the P.5 with a specific transistor not being correctly attached to a heatsink, have to drop it off for repair (locally) after 15 mins of use! Support from Athena was excellent, Steve returned my call within 30-mins; he even suggested suitable amplifier brands with high praise for Yamaha. I've placed the C.5 on top of the TV and angled it slightly downwards; I attached the 4 S.5 speakers to walls using the included brackets (no screws or plugs are provided), the 2 front S.5 tweeters are at the same height as the C.5 tweeter (about 5-ft) and about 7-ft apart, the 2 rear S.5s are mounted at a height of about 6-ft and about 8-ft apart. The overall room size is 18-ft long by 15-ft wide and 7-ft in height. Even now the sound is better than it was with my previous system and it can only improve; for the short time the subwoofer was working the sound was awesome, even at low volume, when playing the Troy soundtrack. Sony Canada says that I can't drive a subwoofer with my STR-D990; so once the subwoofer is repaired, I guess should wait until I get my new receiver.
P5 subwoofer repaired within 2 days; I decided not to use until I got a new receiver. I decided against buying an HDMI receiver (mainly because of cost) or a digital receiver (because of mixed reviews); opted instead for a Yamaha RX-V657 (at cost of c$621 incl taxes) and I will be testing it with the Point 5 speakers this week; for RX-V657 reviews see http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/yamaha-rx-v657-receiver-8-2005.html and http://www.avguide.com/servlet/com....ownloadReviewPDF/REVIEW_1839.pdf?download=yes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Updated S-97 firmware to 542

I just burned the dvdpupdt.frm in Modified_Firmware_S97_364a_542a.zip (see http://www.dcevolution.net/panasonic/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&func=view&id=499&catid=9#499) to a CD-R in data mode and then inserted into my S-97, the update took just over 2 minutes. I then used Open/Close + Pause + 7 to check the firmware version, it now shows 85E542. I really like disabled VOP processing. It seems like more DVDs are getting more stuff at the beginning that I couldn't skip over; now I can. Note that this hacked version of the software lets you go back to any previous firmware version. For user experiences with new firmware, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=501352&page=1&pp=30

BYW 1080i/HDMI, 480p/HDMI (my current default setting), or 480i/component (with DRC/Interlaced), with DNR settings: Depth Enhancer +1, MPEG DNR 0, 3D-NR +1 gives the best video on my Sony KV-34HS420 TV

Malcolm

181 - 193 of 193 Posts