Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Had a great opportunity to pick up a Panny DMP-BD10A for a super price, just because the guy hated waiting for start up time (solution - BDP on before TV, took 20 seconds, not 5 minutes).

Regardless, I knew going in this had only DTS-HD HR, and not DTS-HD MA. However, it had Dolby TrueHD decoders, and 7.1 analog out, allowing me to hook it up to my HK AVR-230 (no HDMI) and at least get the bump on DD-THD movies I own.

Anyways, so I'm watching Wall-E yesterday, which is a DTS-HD MA movie, and I'm thinking it sounds pretty good. So I pull up the BDP's display, and it says it is outputting the signal in DTS-HD, not DTS Multichannel.

So, I go look at the Wall-E box again, and see that yes, it only comes with DTS-HD MA, and DTS 5.1 tracks on it. What gives?

My understanding was that if you did not have a DTS-HD MA decoder, then the audio would default to the legacy kernel of DTS 5.1/6.1. So how is the BDP getting DTS-HD HR out of a track that should only have MA or 5.1 on it?

Wondered if anyone had an explanation or a similar experience. Is there an HR track hidden in the MA track? Did Panasonic sneak MA support into its firmware, but not tell us? Any ideas?

BTW, I actually like the picture and adjustability of this player more than I like my PS3, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a BDP that will work with their legacy audio equipment. If you can pick one up cheap, I'd suggest doing it!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I know for sure that the BD-10A will never be able to decode DTS HD MA. It lacks the hardware to decode DTS HD MA. Perhaps the Panny is telling you that the codec is DTS HD MA but you only are getting the DTS 'core' track.

I own a BD-10A and it is a wonderful machine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fuzzy,

Just to compare, I did drop in a DTS DVD tonight (me reference: Saving Private Ryan DTS), and it is for sure a "core" DTS track.

The Panny told me it was DTS 3/2.1.

Also did get a message from Panasonic that backs up what you stated - that no firmware will ever allow the player to decode MA. This is what stumps me; how in heck can it be reporting DTS-HD, especially as when I change the output manually it does change what the 7.1 analog is putting out. In DD, it also allows me to toggle from DD TrueHD to "core" DD surround.

However, I've never seen it said anywhere that DTS-MA contains any other core than DTS 3/2.1.

Hence my confusion.

As an added note, the DTS decoded in the BDP and sent out via 7.1 analog absolutely blew away the DTS via optical out of the PS3. And here I thought the PS3 was supposed to be the bees knees of BRPs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just a guess but is it possible that the Panny is showing HR based on the presence of the 'extension' track?

In other words, since it does not understand MA, is it programmed to display HR once it detects the presence of the extension track (and thus assuming that it's HR)? Only the Panny folks who have access to the programming code can confirm/deny that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts