Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 506 Posts

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
If this projector will really deliver 2000 lumens (good enough for rooms with covered windows in the evening) at msrp $2200 then this will be an excellent low-end deal for everybody, not just for people with dedicated rooms.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a great deal. If I wasn't planning on picking up the 1080P model, I would jump on this. The zoom is only 1.2x so that could be a problem for some.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
msrp US$3000:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...d=21360&modelNo=PT-AX100U&surfModel=PT-AX100U

Note the msrp of AE900 (US$3200) --> it is actually selling in US right now for less than $1500.

QUOTE:
"the PT-AX100U also incorporates Panasonic's new Light Harmonizer technology, which produces bright, beautiful, easy-to-watch images even in a well-lit room. So you can spend the afternoon watching your favorite football team without having to close the drapes and still enjoy clear, brilliant images in crisp detail."

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Man don't know how I missed this PJ before! I just stumbled upon it tonight right after my wife said and I quote!!!
"you know how I wanted a smaller lcd tv for our living room and kitchen, well how about we just buy a better projector for the upstairs theater room that we can watch in the day light easier" :) :) :) So I run to the computer and hop on the internet and ran across this new pannny! Man I love my wife!
I just hope the street price comes in closer to $2000 us than the $3000 msrp
I've got a completly light controled room for my current PJ but its just too dark when we have company or just want to be in the room with the tv on

Any interest in seeing if we can get a group buy on these for release? I assume people looking at these newer units will be importing from either the states or Japan. I will be contacting a few Japan sellers to find out about release time line and prices, but if there are a few interested parties we might be able to get a better price break too.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can't find this model for the price range you are interested in then I highly suggest the AE900 which will be much cheaper than it is now once this puppy come out.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Got a message back from eastporters and they will give a discout on orders of more than 1 projector but they still dont have a firm price for these as of yet. He did say they expect to ship within a month.
I have found the ax100 for pre order out of the states for $1999 which might actually be a better option than importing from japan or japanese reseller like eastporters. Any know what the duties is like on a Japanese PJ when importing to Canada?
The place with $1999 pre order even has a lamp warranty available for $99 and a 5 year extended warranty for $219. The lamp warranty really interest me as a bulb costs about $300 and In 3 years I would likely go thru 2-3 bulbs.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without naming names, the most famous Japanese import company for projectors doesn't have this item listed yet. I would wait to see what that price is before ordering.

2k USD seems like a good price but is that a US version or Japanese import?

What does the lamp warranty cover?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just a few steps ahead of you James, I just emailed the company asking those exact questions! I will post the reply as soon as I get it. Im REALLY interested in a bulb warranty if it does cover time releaded failure which I assume it would as what else could it cover?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1001

This is another company selling just the warranty and its the same warranty plan offered by the place selling the ax100, it gives a quick descpription of the 3 year warranty. basically looks like it covers up to 2 lamps so really with the original bulb that is included with the PJ that would give you 3 bulbs over 3 years. Pretty damn good for $100 I think.

·
Banned
14 Posts
What a great deal. If I wasn't planning on picking up the 1080P model, I would jump on this. The zoom is only 1.2x so that could be a problem for some.
Yep, agree!

or check this out:

PT-AE900U Refurb with free shipping to Canada for $1199 USD WOW

http://www.saveonprojectors.com/product.aspx?proj_id=234

I purchased a units from them 5 month ago, paid $1399 + $35 shipping. Went very smooth, I'm still happy with it. :)

They also take pre-orders for PT-AX100U.

Check this out, new PT-AE1000U - looks great!
http://www.saveonprojectors.com/product.aspx?proj_id=480

I think I'll start saving money now! 11,000:1 cotrast WHEWWWW. :)

·
Banned
14 Posts
Thank god I didn't have an issue yet :)

What they have told me is that unit comes with warranty, USA warranty - so there are two options, either send for repair to US or purchase an extended warranty which is valid in Canada. I think they also have a policy were they will replace the unit within the first 10 days of purchase, in case of a DOA or something.

I opted out of extended warranty because of my tight budget at the time, they told me I can purchase it within 30 days of projector purchase - I forgot LOL! Oh well.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have found a company in Canada that imports projectors from a US supplier and they take care of all the import duties, taxes, and brokerage fees for you, and its a US model Projector instead of a Japannesse import one. Only catch is if it does need warranty work within the first year YOU have to pay for shipping to the company in the states but they will pay shipping back. Still better than shipping back to Japan!!! Im still waiting on a solid price but he assured me that his price would be very close to the cost of doing it yourself as he makes his money off the sale of the projector not the shipping etc.
The main US company gave me the candain contact .
He is also willing to give a discout for multiple orders, and can do the invoice to a US address if you have access to one to get the Blockbuster card bonus that is offered on the unit(he already does this for the current panasonic rebates for the 900)

If I find his price close to what I project to spend on importing one from the states myself I will go this route and just wanted to let others know about him. I am also waiting to hear back about buying extended warraties if I purchase thru him.
If you have interest once I get the firm pricing pm me and I can pass along his info to you.
As for my original idea of eastporters I have personally decided even if its a couple of hundered dollars cheaper im going with a US model not a Japanesse one just for the sake of warranty support.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Initial impressions of the Pt-ax100u

Initial impresssion after a quick setup review of the PT-Ax100U from a web site (more to come )note that this is not my review just a c/p from another site

"Update 9/22/2006 - The Panasonic PT-AX100U has arrived, and I got the first chance to work with it last night, viewing it on HDTV (in my Theater Room) with no changes (calibration) from it's default settings.

The PT-AX100U is bright! In its brightest mode - Dynamic, it is a couple of magnitudes brighter than my PE-8720 projector. I was able to watch the Georgia Tech football game with my blinds open - (I have a southern exposure, and lots of windows on that wall. I watched right after the sun dropped behind a nearby hill, and the sky was gray. Even with all the window shades open, the game looked pretty good. Closing the shades of the two closest windows, , the image was dazzling. I couldn't begin to enjoy the same game, when switching back to my BenQ projector, the room was just too bright.

I also watched Jay Leno, with a goodly amount of lighting turned on in the room. Again, in Dynamic, more than enough brightness, and even stepping it down to "Normal" it was significantly brighter than most home theater projectors, and still made for good watching!.

This looks to be a great projector for all of you who can't fully darken your rooms for daytime viewing, or just don't want a fully darkened room for watching sports, HDTV, etc. Tonight, I start calibrating and measuring the PT-AX100U."

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
cTown, this sounds very promising.

I have a fully light controlled room, but I would greatly prefer to have some lights on most of the time and not have it wash out the image too much.

1 - 20 of 506 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.