Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how to convert, PAL to NTSC. I own Thunderbirds dvd and would like to convert it to NTSC. I have hamster video converter but not sure how to use it. Any help would be appreciated. I own Nero but it does not have recode.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question directly but I can offer some opinions. I don't think it's a very easy thing to do without dealing with menu problems, ghosting and jaggies. I'm not sure how good the converted copy will turn out, if you're not picky it might be OK then. There are several guides on the net using various apps.

If you're in the market for a new DVD player, get one that supports PAL playback. Or if your current DVD player plays other formats such as DivX or MPG files, convert your DVDs to those, which is easy.

Good luck!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I don't know of any software-based PAL:NTSC DVD converters (begin with PAL disc, end up with perfect NTSC clone disc) so some intermediate steps will at least give you the programming either in files kept on your hard drive or in ISO form for burning to a DVD with your own set of menus. An added benefit of doing it that way is freedom from evil region code craziness.
  1. forget about using Hamster and download Handbrake
  2. rip your Thunderbirds DVD into a lossless format like MKV or MP4 (make sure to select NTSC settings!)
  3. use a DVD creator program to put those files together into an NTSC-DVD format ISO file with menus and chapters
  4. burn onto a blank DVD
  5. Thunderbirds are go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a program called IFOEDIT. It will open up the ifo files and then you can change from PAL to NTSC.

·
Super Moderator
16,862 Posts
Witchdoctor's suggestion to use IFOEDIT will only work in certain situations. Using IFOEDIT this way changes a bit on the DVD image that says whether the DVD is NTSC or PAL.

Some DVD players contain a chipset that will decode both PAL and NTSC, but don't officially support both modes. Fooling the player into thinking the DVD is NTSC will work in this case.

Most NTSC-only players don't have the capability to decode PAL DVDs, so changing the bit with IFOEDIT won't work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know it's only fooling the dvd player into thinking it's a NTSC dvd, but it's worth a try to see if it works. If it works on your dvd player great, if not, well the dvd disc's are relatively cheap these days.

I've played the disc's I've used ifoedit on in a 20 dollar no name dvd player, a tv with a built in dvd player, my sony 5 disc dvd changer and my new sony BDP-CX960 400 disc blu-ray megachanger with no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts