Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Could you clarify your request for me? What type of information are you looking for?
User Manuals, specifications, inputs and outputs, that sort of thing. I have been to the Pace website and seen the single comment about the Aspen and related boxes and, like others here, am left wondering where the info for these is. Shouldn't it be on the website like the other consumer boxes are?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Aspen is part of a family of MPEG-4 set top boxes and DVRs (these include Apache and Aspen Embedded (aka TDC776D)). Basically, these are the next generation DVRs (where the first generation was the Tahoe DVR family).
Next generation.. with a 160gb drive? Geeze! :)

Ron.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A bit OT, but in that link, I have no idea why they say:
because HD is usually about 8 GB/hour, so you should get about 20 hours,
The numbers are based on a higher end bitrate of ~20 mbps. Its true that most content is a variable bit rate with bursts and the effective # is lower than that, but its a safe starting point number.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shouldn't it be on the website like the other consumer boxes are?
Unfortunately, the links to products on the web site is one area that I can't comment on in a public forum or via PM.

Just so its clear to all, I can't comment on unannounced and/or future products and certain other topics. Hope everyone understands these restrictions (remember, I'm not in technical support).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any idea when they will be offering these Pace boxes in Vancouver?. I'm in the market for another PVR and not sure if I should wait it out, or just buy another Motorola.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well...I understand it and I'm sure everyone else does as well. BTW, I have a hard copy manual for this unit but it would be nice if there was a pdf floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
...unannounced and/or future products...
But it has been announced (back in May) and it is a current product that consumers can purchase now. I get suspicous of any company that is trying to sell a product through a third party, but doesn't seem to have any trace of the product on its own website. I am sure it's probably a great product and all, but why would Pace keep this so low key? For Pace to depend on "compton.net" to publish specs and images seems really odd.

Also, I see they have changed the styling from the previous retro look, but now it sort of reminds of the original Zune, sort of boxy and meaty. Is it available in brown? :)

Anyway this sounds like a rant now and I didn't intend that. I guess I'm not entirely impressed with where the industry has got to with the whole HD PVR thing. IMHO they are still too expensive, and don't live up to their potential quality in both the user interface and image quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My brother just spoke with Shaw about these new boxes, and they told him that they are still carrying both Motorola and Pace boxes and that the customer could not request one or the other to be installed. He was not impressed, as he wanted the Pace box but Shaw couldn't guarantee he would get one.

So you spent $500 on a box but don't know which product you are getting? It doesn't sound right...has anyone else called Shaw to request the new boxes yet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
But it has been announced (back in May) and it is a current product that consumers can purchase now.
There were two reasons I listed for why I can't comment on certain topics. Clearly, this is an announced product so that rationale is not applicable. This topic falls into the certain other topics that I can't get into in a public forum.

Anyway this sounds like a rant now and I didn't intend that.
I didn't view it as a rant. I just wanted to make sure people understood I wasn't blowing their questions off. I just can't respond to the question in any meaningful way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My brother just spoke with Shaw about these new boxes, and they told him that they are still carrying both Motorola and Pace boxes and that the customer could not request one or the other to be installed. He was not impressed, as he wanted the Pace box but Shaw couldn't guarantee he would get one.

So you spent $500 on a box but don't know which product you are getting? It doesn't sound right...has anyone else called Shaw to request the new boxes yet?
try going directly to the Shaw Retail , he may actually be able to purchase the Pace box instead, as opposed to having it delivered

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did this successfully. Went down to the Shaw retail location on Barlow Trail in Calgary. They had them in stock ... bought it and went home. :)

ihdtv

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
AWESOME!

Thanks lindend,

That's just what we have all been looking for. It's interesting that the 'Aspen' name isn't included like some of the others. For those who are confused, you are looking for the TDC776D which is seemingly called the 'Aspen'.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There have been several boxes with the 'ethernet' port on them, including both Pace and Moto. The STBs have a built in DOCSIS Modem and theoretically you could access the internet from that port. When I asked a Shaw 'SuperTech' about it one day, he explained that they are having enough problems with the High Def data stream that they had no intention of complicating matters by enabling the DOCSIS in the STBs.

Perhaps, one day, in a far,far away land, a STB with all of it's included ports, jacks, inputs/outputs and wizbang features will be made available to the general public. I just hope I live long enough to see that day.

41 - 60 of 332 Posts