Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony KDF-E60A20 hooked up to a Pace Aspen with an HDMI cable.

On my TV I can select Wide zoom, zoom, full, normal. While on hdmi the "Normal" is grayed out so I can only select the other 3. While watching hdmi channels, everything is fine. However watching standard def channels, the picture is too big, the sides are cut off. If I change the input to just cable, so it's running through the coax cable, and not via hdmi, I can select normal and the picture will be a normal picture with black side bars and top and bottom bars. If I then change it to full, it stretches the picture horizontally to fill the screen.

This wasn't happening before, any idea why it would suddenly change?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Have you got 'Auto Pillarbox' set to On or Off? I prefer to have it ON and then zoom the picture to fill the screen when there is black all around it. You might have received either a firmware update or some other kind of 'reset' that inadvertently changed the setting in your box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thank you. I got into the settings and decided to play around with it. If I set it to 4:3 everything was fine, HD and SD channels. In 16:9, the HD channels were fine, but the SD channels were zoomed so much that I could barely see the emblems in the corners, sports tickers were off screen, etc.

Set auto pillarbox to on, put it back on 16:9, HD channels are still fine, and SD channels just have the black bars on the side and I can zoom in a bit if I want to get rid of them, but I don't mind them since the picture looks better if it's not zoomed.

Oh, and I found a manual for my tv online. Even in the manual it shows that "Normal" wide mode is not available for HD sources.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Oh, and I found a manual for my tv online. Even in the manual it shows that "Normal" wide mode is not available for HD sources.

Thanks for the help.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that (not available with HDMI) in my reply. Glad to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still looks different than before it changed itself. I guess when I got the box it was originally set to 4:3 mode instead of 16:9 that must have happened when it reset or firmware was updated or whatever. The SD channels were automatically stretched previously.

Anyways it looks much better now. Woohoo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts