Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? Instead of getting the PVR expander, I thought I'll give a try for this. My plan is to connect co-axial output from pace 758D to HDhomerun and then use either sage TV on Mac or mythubuntu. Any drawbacks in my design?

Thank you for reading.

·
Super Moderator
16,890 Posts
That won't work.
Connect your HDHomeRun directly to the incoming cable line to receive the unencrypted digital cable (“ClearQAM”) channels your cable provider offers.
Shaw, like most cable companies in Canada, doesn't offer any unencrypted channels. U.S. companies are required to offer ClearQAM for local HD stations.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alternative

The closest folks get to doing this is feeding the output from the PVR to their PC's graphics card and using the PC and a IR dongle from the PC to the front of the PVR to change the PVR's channels. The PC card always inputs the output from the same channel on the PVR (e.g. 3 or 4, or using coax out or S-Video out). It is just telling the PVR to switch channels for it.

This is a nuisance and pain and you a) need to get the correct software to do this (not sure if MythTV will do this exactly) and b) get an up-to-date channel guide for Shaw locally. Canada is not a good or consistent source for web-based TV listings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, that's bad news. I didn't want to spend $150 on PVR expander which would not let me copy files to the computer. Oh, well just use the manthra "megaupload" , easier than anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to my local computer store (preface with this, I have a Pace TDC770D) and picked up a Nexstar CX USB2/eSATA 3.5" SATA hard drive enclosure for $30, also grabbed a 1TB Seagate 32Mb cache 7200 RPM hard drive for $60 and put them together and connected it to my HD PVR, works like a charm, no ill effects and instead of 160Gb (the internal drive) I have 1.16TB of space for stuf for less than a hundred bucks taxes in....just an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts