Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rooted (with universal androot) and overclocked with Milestone Overclock yesterday to my Motorola Milestone and I love it!!! I custom set it to run at 1000 mhz at 60 vsel and there have been no issues yet. I also downloaded CPU tuner to help manage the battery life better with this added performance and it seems to be working out so far. I have also run it at 1200 mhz at 80 vsel (one of the options on the slider) and it is wicked fast but can be a little choppy when surfing the web.

A word of caution though, don't go beyond 1200 mhz and use a low vsel (I tried 60 vsel) or go over 1300 mhz as it will lock up your phone. I had to pull the battery, sim and sd then plug it in to get the phone to boot up and reset it, THANK GOD!!! Could have been an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi:

I'm an old computer tech, and I've been wondering about the feasibility of overclocking a phone. The thing is, phones are very compact, and I'm not sure there's adequate room for proper cooling when you take the processor significantly beyond its normal clock rate. Have you checked any heat sensors with software or ??

Thanks for the info.

Brainer

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I find most cpus you can overclock as high as you can just dont change the voltage as this is what generates the heat increase.

Since most of these smart phone overclocks do not adjust the voltage i would think they are generally safe and it will be VERY hard to cook your cpu.

I have overclocked my phone and its neat to try and does increase the speed of the phone at the cost of battery life.(mind you its a minor improvement/battery loss on my phone - omnia 2)

·
Banned
262 Posts
How about stability. Does over-clocking it change that much? And is it really necessary, beyond something to do? That is, is the "improvement" worth it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
jsut like overclocking on a computer there is a point where you go too high the phone will become unstable.

as for the benefit. faster is faster :D and on some devices that can increase there clock by 40% or more its a big improvement.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
One thing to note is that most of the chips already implement an adaptive voltage/frequency scaling function.

The "overclocking" part usually refers to changing the maximum voltage and/or frequency allowed. As noted, this really only helps when you are running CPU intensive stuff.

If you are running a new phone with a 1G processor, it's not usually needed, but on some of the lower powered phones it can make a difference.

·
Banned
262 Posts
I asked, because I've put off buying a new desktop by underclocking the one I have. It reboots endlessly if I don't. What a cheap guy, eh? ;) Everything else is up to date though. eg. iPad, iPod, etc.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi:

I'm an old computer tech, and I've been wondering about the feasibility of overclocking a phone. The thing is, phones are very compact, and I'm not sure there's adequate room for proper cooling when you take the processor significantly beyond its normal clock rate. Have you checked any heat sensors with software or ??

Thanks for the info.

Brainer
The CPU tuner app comes with a battery temp and I have seen it go as high as 38 degrees with heavy use and the area of the phone where the processor is never gets more than a high warm (same as before when stock really) so I have no concerns as it has been stable at 1000mhz at 58vsel (I lowered the vsel a bit from before and it still works great). Stock vsel is 56 at 550mhz so obviously a major improvement confirmed by all the app benchmark tests I have run at a very slight increase in voltage so battery life is virtually the same with all the benefits.

Graphics wise it doesn't do much other than load a game up faster as the phone has a dedicated graphics processor which looks dated compared to how smooth games run on my brothers Vibrant. When are we getting phones we can put upgrades in ourselves??? That would be incredible!

I have also gotten it run at 1250mhz at 80 vsel and benchmarks show it is very fast for this phone, but I am not to comfortable with this speed and voltage so I hold steady at my previously mentioned 1000mhz/58vsel.

Give it a try if your phone is compatible with Universal Androot. You can install lots of cool custom roms and apps that you couldn't before as well as it also gives you superuser access.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How about stability. Does over-clocking it change that much? And is it really necessary, beyond something to do? That is, is the "improvement" worth it?
I noticed instability on my HTC after overclocking. I was unable to end the phone call, screen did not react sometimes. I came back to defaults because I simply don't see any reason to overclock it yet :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts