Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to continue a discussion that was going off-topic in another thread.

Specs -

CPU - Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo
RAM - Mushkin DDR2 HP2-6400 (5-4-4-12) 2x2GB
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
CPU cooler - Scythe Mini-Ninja
Antect SOLO case
Corsair VX 550W Power Supply
2 x 500GB Seagate Drives - MAYBE DEFECTIVE !!! :mad: TBD
OS's - Arch Linux 64-bit, Windows 7 beta 64-bit, Ubuntu 32-bit.

With the E8400 Core 2 Duo (stock 3.00 GHz), I achieved a stable overclock of 3.78GHz with almost no effort. I just raised the FSB until errors occurred, and then increased the core voltage (Vcore). I am at 420MHz, with the 9x multiplier of the chip making it 3.78 GHz. I had to bump up the Vcore to 1.26 Volts (1.3000 in Bios). Ram Voltage is 1.980 Volts. Memory is stock 800 MHz, but OC'd to 840 for a 1:1 ratio.

Running Prime95 for 25 hrs yielded no errors, with temps of 54 and 53 max. I am using the Scythe Mini Ninja. I have the CPU fan under BIOS control, and it never went to full speed during this time, so it is very quiet.

I had a stable 4.00GHz OC, but the temps got up to 62 degrees, which I don't want because I want this baby quiet. At 60+ degrees, the CPU fan was audible. With this case and power supply, this is by far the quietest PC I have ever owned.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That is an excellent overclock. Free performance!

I have my E8500 oc'ed to 3.8gHz (9.5*400). That was my goal and was able to do it withont any voltage increases. Ram is running at 400mHz at 1:1 with 4-4-4-12 timing! The system is really fast at those speeds.

As a comparison, I had a 4gHz P4 (Norwood) oc'ed to 4gHz. Calculating 1M digits of pi took 34 seconds. The E8500, on a single core, takes 12 seconds. There are 2 cores!

The 920i cpu can OC to 3.8 easily, is faster than the Core2Dou's and there are four cores!

OC'ing is fun ... and relatively safe to do.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
with all the power we got its funny that we still over clock... I have not over clocked since the old celeron 333 at 450+ :)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
My arbitrary goal was to get the E8400 to 4.0GHz. But to be honest, I have been blown away by how smooth Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 and CoD WaW run at completely full settings. With everything up, Farcry 2 benchmarks are only 40 to 50fps (DX10), but in the actual game it's absolutely smooth. I'll try to at least go from 3.0GHz to 3.5GHz, as noise is more of a concern to me than speed. Sounds like air cooling should be enough.

I went against the quad cores (in the price range of $200) because I'm not sure if four cores will even make a difference. Better to go with two cores, and approach 4GHz.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am amazed at how easily these chips overclock, and how cool they run. As others have mentioned, now the only real challenge is figuring out how to actually use all of this speed!

Actually, I have started fiddling around with video editing and transcoding, which is what got me thinking about building this new rig. I haven't used it for that yet, but am looking forward to seeing the differences between this setup and my old Athlon 64 +3500 with 1GB RAM.

Before I do too much, I would like a response from Seagate regarding my barracuda hard drives which may or may not be affected by the brick-inducing firmware bug.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had bought a fairly cheap cpu at the time just to overclock it and as the days go by and the cuts on the intel cpu's roll in, I will prob pick one up just before the 775 go out of style since the the i7 have been launched.

E4400 2.00GHz @ 3.20Ghz Passive Cooling (No Fan)
Asus P5K
Kingston 4GB (2x2) 1066Mhz

Very easy to overclock, I just pushed the FSB to 400Mhz and droped the multiplier to 8x. No voltage increases required, been running flawless for over a year.
Probably would go for a Quad Core when upgrading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts