Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have three TV's in my house. On two of them I have coax running from my antenna to the television. The third TV does not have coax or Cat5 run to it, and getting a wire to it would involve opening up the wall, crawling around in the attic, drywalling, painting, etc. I'd like to avoid that if possible. :)

Is there a wireless way to get the antenna signal to the TV? I'm imaging some device connected to the antenna that sends a signal to a USB device plugged into the TV. Kind of like how my Amazon Firestick gets internet to the same TV.

Thanks.

Richard

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Get a DLNA compatible OTA tuner that connects to the network, such as the HDHomeRun. Then get a compatible media player that has wifi. It looks like this: antenna > DLNA compatible tuner > network > wifi > DLNA compatible media player > TV. The tuner will also be compatible with smartphones and smart TVs. With a suitable DLNA compatible smart TV, the DLNA media player can be eliminated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have a smart TV (and it's not a Samsung), get a Tablo has the bonus of being a PVR. it's preferable to be hardwired or/and you can bring ethernet to the tv with a powerline adapter

·
Administrator
465 Posts
If you're close enough to your TV stations, you may be able to get away with one of those small amplified flat antennas that tuck behind the TV. That's what we're using one one of the bedrooms and it picks up all the networks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You can use a firestick using wifi on the tv and a tablo connected to your tv antenna coax and your internet connection.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
There are many ways to skin a cat. Some are dumbed down commercial products, others rely on mature open source
software. What is right for you all depends on your technical background. Some people need dumbed down gadgets, while others will appreciate having total control, building up, configuring a solution themselves.
If it was me I'd put an hdhomerun on my home network, then take an old PC or even a RPI, install tvheadend on it, and put Kodi on the firestick in the bedroom. Kodi would be a client of the tvheadend "server".

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
That's more complicated than required. The Fire Stick and other streaming devices support newer versions of the HDHomeRun directly for live TV. A PC might be useful for other functions such as recording TV.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's more complicated than required. The Fire Stick and other streaming devices support newer versions of the HDHomeRun directly for live TV. A PC might be useful for other functions such as recording TV.
I agree the HDhomerun is the way to go. App is available on most popular platforms Google and IOS and I am using it on on FireTV and PS3(not as nice as as on FireTV or PC) and a desktop PC. . I also have it on an old Lenovo tablet... but it buffers do not think device it up to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. :) I already had a HDHomeRun on my Amazon wishlist so that's probably the way I'll go. The HDHomeRun has to have a wired connection to the network, right? I don't recall if, when I built in 2008, I ran a CAT5 cable to the spot where the antenna coax terminates. Hmmm. I hate crawling around in the attic. :cry:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. :) I already had a HDHomeRun on my Amazon wishlist so that's probably the way I'll go. The HDHomeRun has to have a wired connection to the network, right? I don't recall if, when I built in 2008, I ran a CAT5 cable to the spot where the antenna coax terminates. Hmmm. I hate crawling around in the attic. :cry:

Thanks again.
Yes it does.

Edwin G.

Sent from my mobile device

·
Registered
212 Posts
So something to consider... if I was buying another HDhomerun today... I would buy the HDhomerun 4K(with ATSC 3.0 tuners) can do 4 tuners @ ATSC 1.0 or 2 @f ATSC 3.0 this is about future proofing. I hate throwing things away that still work... I have a much older HDhomerun and a HDhomerunn connect which like 5 or 6 years old... they just keep working. the new one supporting ATSC 3.0 is the way I would go if I was buying... spend a little more up front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is my setup using a Tablo to stream OTA signal, I have 5 TV's in the house but only 3 of them have coax and LAN drops close to them, the other 2 are getting the signals via Wi-Fi. The Tablo box is sitting next to the switch. Even on the TV's that have direct OTA antenna feed, we only use the Tablo

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
This is my setup using a Tablo to stream OTA signal.....
Thanks for the photo with good detail.

My TP-Link AC1750 router doesn't seem to want to recognize my HDHR4-2US tuner; I haven't figured that out yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts