Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Outside" SA/Cisco STBs work on Rogers (or Videotron)? (No!) See Post 1

I found a few 8300HD cable boxes for sale on EBay. The sellers are from the US - would these boxes work in Canada ? I live in Thornhill.

thanks.

Edit by 57: Neither Rogers, or Videotron will activate STBs from "outside" their area. See posts 8 and 44, links below, for the reasons why, "outside" SA STBs are not activated. As discussed in post 44, the information in post 40 is incorrect.

You need to purchase a STB from Rogers, from their authorized distributor, or used from a Rogers customer in good standing - Links 3, 4 below.

1. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=470539#post470539

2. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=794338#post794338

Selling/purchasing STBs from Rogers customers in your area:

3. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64632

4. http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/05/buying-a-used-cable-set-top-box-in-canada/

US cable providers only rent STBs, so Canadians should be pleased that they have a purchase option available to them.

As an aside, here are the reasons that Major Cable Companies no longer activate outside Motorola STBs:

5. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1340979#post1340979

As another aside, here are the reasons that they don't activate CableCARD (which has been "replaced" by Tru2Way, which is also not utilized in Canada):

6. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1268545#post1268545

As part of the migration from Analogue to Digital, Rogers will provide free DTAs (Digital Terminal Adaptor) to receive the channels that you were previously viewing on your analogue TV. The DTA will not pick up all the channels, like a regular STB.

·
Banned
660 Posts
castelle said:
I found a few 8300HD cable boxes for sale on EBay. The sellers are from the US - would these boxes work in Canada ? I live in Thornhill.

thanks.
No they will not.Rogers does not allow out side boxes.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
castelle, this is a common question so if you require further info, please search for those threads.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For what its worth - a number of folks have successfully activated Motorola boxes they purchased from E_Bay.

Normally before bidding, they get the ID number of the box and confirm with Rogers (or Shaw) that it will work on their system.

·
Super Moderator
56,866 Posts
Yes, there are several such threads on the Motorolas (Cogeco too), however, not on SAs.

Rogers and Videotron refuse any SA STBs that were not bought from them, or an authorized distributor.

·
Registered
620 Posts
This is interesting. I wonder why the difference between Motorola boxes for Rogers Atlantic (where they will accept an 'outside box' if it conforms) vs Rogers Ontario (where they will not accept an SA outside box..)

Hmm

·
Super Moderator
56,866 Posts
Could be a several reasons.

1. No one has ever "pushed" hard enough or tried long enough with an SA STB for a second/third level CSR to finally say "OK, we'll activate the damn thing".

2. There could be something about the SA STBs that makes the job more difficult.

3. I don't see it as a "company policy" because, as you state, Rogers do Motorola...

I believe it SHOULD be Rogers decision because of the extra work involved in checking for stolen STBs, for activation, etc.

I believe it would be best if no cable companies authorized "outside" STBs. It would discourage theft of same. In the US the vast majority (if not all) of STBs are rented and probably many of the US eBay STBs are stolen.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is interesting. I wonder why the difference between Motorola boxes for Rogers Atlantic (where they will accept an 'outside box' if it conforms) vs Rogers Ontario (where they will not accept an SA outside box..)
I realise that this is an old thread but I figured I'd answer the question anyway.

A Motorola set-top can be added to any DAC/HMS (the headend controller for a Motorola-based cable system) provided that the MSO has loaded the appropriate UKL disc -- UKL discs contain a list of all valid MOT serial numbers/unit addresses and are updated periodically. Thus, when you buy a Motorola box, you simply provide the serial number, make/model and unit address to the cable compay, they add it to their headend and presto! You're up and running.

The SA headend, on the other hand, requires an EMM key that is specific to each set-top box. These keys are usually shipped to the MSO in bulk when they buy their set-top boxes. Thus, only the MSO that originally purchased the set-top has the EMM key for any given box. Therefore, if you buy an SA8300HD from some guy down in the U.S., Rogers has no EMM key for that box so they can't add it to their DNCS (the headend controller for a Scientific Atlanta-based cable system). It's *possible* that Rogers could request this EMM key from SA but not very likely that they would be willing to do so.

That is why you *can* activate Motorola based equipment with different cable systems and *can't* activate SA based equipment.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That is why you *can* activate Motorola based equipment with different cable systems and *can't* activate SA based equipment.
Awesome. Thanks a whole lot for this information. I know I'm not alone when I say we appreciate the 'insider' feedback. Plus, from a purely technical standpoint, I find it interesting.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Assuming that the eBay purchased device is a legitimate device with no debt, does a consumer have any chance in contacting SA directly, getting the appropriate EMM and providing that to Rogers or any CableCo for that matter?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,866 Posts
Although you may wish to try, so far no one has been able to activate an "outside" SA STB in the US or Canada. (I moderate on several forums).

In the US, service providers won't even do it for the Motorola STBs because all the STBs there are rented, not purchased.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks 57, for a quick response.
I'll take your word, although it pisses me off that they monopolize the market the way they do with inferior products.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'll take your word, although it pisses me off that they monopolize the market the way they do with inferior products.
Rogers will sell you an SD box for about $100 outright. You can rent one for $4/mth with a "lifetime warranty" ($48/yr in rentals).

You can get an HD PVR for $600 outright but, as has been posted many times, these come with all sorts of goodies, typically starting at a $100 discount right off the top. If you are buying a new HD set from retailers like Best Buy, Future Shop, London Drugs, etc., you get 10 months of free HD PVR + 10 months of the HD programming pack ($25+$6=$30/mth times 10 months = $300 savings).

The $25/mth HD PVR rental is steep ($300/yr) but, again, comes with a "lifetime warranty". It depends on how you like to spread your costs and risk.

Lucky you don't live in BC: Shaw "sells" it's HD PVR for $750. :eek:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts