Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Outdoor LCD Project

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GoWFO 
#1 ·
I have an old 30" LCD, I'm not currently using.
I just put a new hot tub on the deck out back,
& would like to be able to enjoy watching TV
while having a beverage and soaking. :D

My idea is to build a water-tight clear acrylic box around
the unit, but I would image heat build up will be an issue.
Is there a membrane that will allow air to flow but not moisture.
Ideally I'll use to small computer fans one in & one out with the
"magical" membrane.

The whole unit will be mounted on the wall of the sun room about
eight feet from the tub.

Do you think this might work?
And one other question I have... "Is there a universal water-proof remote available anywhere"

Thanks for your time. :cool:

See less See more
#5 ·
Too bad you couldn't put the hot tub in front of a window, and the TV right against the window glass on the inside...I assume the sun room has plenty of windows but 8' is a little far for a 30".

Also consider the time of year, may be a bit late to do this now. You do know about the warnings they give you about transporting LCDs in the winter and using them when cold, no? IOW temps are going to be a problem besides rain/snow, and that enclosed box you mentioned might even be useful re the heat buildup now.

Really, if you have to put it outside to use in warmer temps, just throw a tarp (or similar) over it when it's turned off. Presuming you don't hot tub when it's raining/snowing/etc. There are transparent waterproof (to 100 atm.) bags you can put a remote etc. in and still operate it. Can you tell I'm cheap? [I often get these hare-brained schemes that sound good at first but don't work out so well in practice so it's good to have cheap means of testing the concepts before going to a lot of trouble building something permanent.]

#6 ·
I was being serious when I said investigate the cost of a ruggedized unit. I really think it would be cheaper in the long run than some of the alternative solutions. my guess is a regular LCD would be toast in no time unless you literally built a climate controlled chamber around it.

#7 ·
^ I was being serious too. Besides cheap. :) I investigated the cost of "ruggedized"/industrial smaller-than-30" LCD units earlier this year. It would be cheaper to burn out ten 30" LCD units of the type typically sold in big-box stores (they're usually 720p). Actually, my main problem was even getting them interested in selling only one of the display.

Cheap: put an upside-down aquarium over the LCD. "Waterproof" is asking a lot for a TV. Again, ambient temps will be more of a problem for ~half the year for a non-ruggedized LCD, they can start to look funky for a start when cold.

#8 ·
The problem is that a regular LCD unit cannot be stored or operate in sub-freezing temperatures (I'm assuming our poster is in a place in Canada where it gets cold in the winter) so you literally would have to build a temperature controlled environment that is heated or cooled all year long.

I'm not sure how you would do that without spending thousands of dollars?

FYI, I don't recommend drinking in the hot tub. Heat and alcohol together can cause a person to pass out in the tub.

#10 ·
Yes I'm in Central Ontario. Never gave to much thought to the lower end of the temperature problem. Hare brained schemes that is me... geeze you think one might put two & two together

uhh dude L in LCD does stand for liquid d'oh

Hugh I did check out the price on actual purpose built outdoor TVs
oh man those puppies aren't cheap <--- unlike me.

Maybe I'll just make this a 3 season project.

On Good note the remote I just tested out our food saver
vacuum sealer & it worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.