Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've setup my 7mc in Orleans/Ottawa with Expressvu as a base guide and with Peter Near's multi-listings hack to get extra guide for my VHF/UHF antenna setup. I'm running combo tuners with analog s-video for Expressvu and coax ATSC digital for the OTA tuner.

I can't figure exactly which guide to use for WCFE(1,2,3), WNPI(1,2,3) and WNYF(1=Fox,2=CBS).
For now, I have assigned WCFE to WPBS, WNYF to WWNY(2,1) and I think I was lucky with finding "WNPI".

Let me know if you have specific call signs I need to search for when mapping these channels.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where are these stations based? When picking the zipcode for the Ottawa guide I just picked the nearest zipcode to Ottawa on the other side of the border.

You *should* be able to select the exact callsign for the US channels.

Try to find a zipcode where zap2it.com has those channels listed natively. Once you get that, I can help you to change the batch file to include that new listing instead of the one I somewhat randomly chose.

Pete

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WCFE Plattsburg
WNPI/WNYF Watertown/Massena (Tower is in South Colton)

I've been trying to find a single zip code that has them all, but I have a hard time finding one. Zap2It thinks 28.1 originates from a Watertown tower it seems, even though the tower is in South Colton. Trying a South Colton zip code would be a no brainer but zap2It does not even show 28.1 there.

Do I also need to be near the border so the canadian channels are listed as well ? I'm thinking we'd need to assemble a few zipcodes together here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
you could also try a Prescott, ON postal code... K0E 1T0....seems to have all the US stations as well as the Ottawa ones.

I'm not seeing 28.1/28.2 on zap2it yet...for any zipcode/postal code..

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your Prescott postal code is good to get canadian channels which some US zip code don't show, like CITS and CKXT.

It does not show WCFE and WNYF. I found Watertown zip codes show WNYF and zip codes closer to Massena show WCFE but each of those lacks another channel in the lineup...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope we can find a minimum set of zip codes...
So your Prescott zip code is a good base, as it shows all Canadians and only misses WNYF/WCFE. But it does have WWNY which can be used against WNYF. I've used that trick with Peter's current hack setup and it works well.
You'd only be missing WCFE, but to be clean we could add something from WNYF.

We could just add Colton zip code 13625 which shows 57.1 WCFE ...

Optional:
Watertown zip code 13601 shows 28.1 28.2 . While it's this is WNYF-CD and not WNYF-LD, content and numbers are the same.

A more eastearn zip code with a lot more than WCFE would be 12983, but there's a clear overlap with other channels.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to email zap2it to see if they could add the US channels in the Ottawa region lineup. It's a drop in the bucket by your never know...

So far I have redone my setup and I could now find WNYF, WWNY and WNPI, so what i'm really missing is CKXT & WCFE as far as I can tell now.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news. I haven't heard from zap2it, but they added the channels I wanted under my zip code, K1W1K1. I now see WWNY 7.1/7.2, WPBS 16.1/16.2/16.3, WNPI 18.1/18.2/18.3, WNYF 28.1/28.2, WWTI 50.1/50.2, WCFE 57.1/57.2/57.3, as well as all locals.

Peter, could you let me know how I could test out changing your multiple listings hack for Ottawa to use my zip code ? :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless maybe... if my zap2it listing has all the channels I want including ones from the US, do I still need the multiple listings hack ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Generally, the Canadian listings don't include digital OTA channels in Media Center. You can certainly try, just run the atsc enabler and continue setup with your Canadian postal code. If the channels are there, you should see them after initial setup.

However, my guess is that even though they show up on the Zap2it website they won't show up in Media Center. You'll likely need to find a US zipcode that has the channels you're looking to add.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah... I guess i'd need ask a friend in the US close to the border to contact zap2it to have them add all the channels we need in Ottawa to their listings... but then does that US zipcode require to have all my Canadian stations as well ?

When I asked them for US channels in my canadian listings, I gave them the full list I wanted with the callsigns showing under the zap2it website (in case anybody's listening):
7.1 WWNYDT
7.2 WWNYDT2

16.1 WPBSDT
16.2 WPBSDT2
16.3 WPBSDT3

18.1 WNPIDT
18.2 WNPIDT2
18.3 WNPIDT3

28.1 WNYFLD
28.2 WNYFL2

50.1 WWTIDT
50.2 WWTIDT2

57.1 WCFEDT
57.2 WCFEDT2
57.3 WCFEDT3

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried some US zip code lookups on zap2it again. Good news, 13662 has the main 3 channels that are within reach of Ottawa: WNPI, WNYF & WCFE.
Those are the only ones I am getting reliably personnally.

Peter, my guess is this is not the zip code you used in your batch file for Ottawa. I'd like to try if we could make changes to use this zip code instead.
I looked up your multiples listings hack instructions, and it looks like I'd need to resetup with US locale and zip code 13662, then get the guide ID from the "About Guide Listings" page. And then I guess it could be easy to change the batch file ?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the canadian listings of 13662 against my canadian ones.
What I should be asking zap2it to add to 13662 would be:
CBOFTDT 9.1
CITYDTR 17.1
CKXTDT3 20.1
CITS 32

For most but not all of those, if you have a cable/satellite+OTA hybrid setup like mine, you could just copy listings from the cable or satellite lineup. But sometime I'll want to go OTA-only, which means I'll need these available under the zap2it lineup.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sent a new email to zap2it asking for the missing Canadian and US channels to be added to zip code 13662. Crossing my fingers...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did my homework and put zip code 13662 through Media Center on a non-production system. It gave me Guide ID 189852611.
I'll be OK testing it with your custom instructions.

Peter, I already ran the Ottawa multiple listings hack once on my PC. Is there something I need to do to undo it before I run the newer custom instruction in which i will feed in the Guide Id I found above ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
You might want to remove the scheduled tasks from Windows Task Scheduler before running the new custom setup.

Pete

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ! Yesterday I removed the task, ran the batch under administrator (custom, US force guide update) restarted then waited overnight.

Now everything except the known to be missing channels work.
On that front, zap2it replied the same way as last time mentioning they sent it to their database team. I`ll report back when it`s all done

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, zap2it got to work quickly.
13662 now has almost everything. Only missing are CKXT 20.1 (SunTV) & CITS 32 (CTS TV).

Peter, I think it would be appropriate to change the Ottawa setup to this new, different US guide ID. The existing Ottawa option doesn't have CKXT either and is missing other key channels, notably WCFE.

The other alternative is if you find which zip code you used for Ottawa, then I'll ask zap2it to add the missing channels for this zipcode. Do you still have it ? All I can see in the batch files is the guide Id and not the zipcode.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Internet is playing tricks on me. Depending on where I accessed 13662 under zap2it, sometimes I would see the changes, but now i can't see them anymore from work or home. I'll wait it out and see what happens...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts