Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I'm guessing mlord has MythTV 0.22 source code builds in mind or maybe SVN builds, so If that's the case then the distro won't matter. :)
Yeah, I'm thinking 0.22-fixes from svn.

But with a slant towards O.T.A. (antennas) rather than CableTV use, and perhaps including some out-of-tree customizations . :)

O.T.A. use differs from CableTV, in that not all tuners can receive all channels. Eg. Digital tuners get only the digital ones, and analog tuners get only the analog ones. So one should configure priorities to ensure MythTV selects digital over analog (if possible) when recording a program.

And not all tuners may have access to the same antennas -- how to deal with that. And so on..

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mlord,

This sounds very interesting. I hope I can attend. Installing Mythtv is not that bad, but configuring it is another story!

What OS are you running MythTV on?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi mlord,

Yes, we should get together some time.

I use 1 antenna per tuner. In the past I used more antennas than tuners but with a 1-to-1 configuration you get a better quality picture, and less programming conflicts. I think it is worth the extra cost (not actually that much extra since I no longer need channel notch filters).

Also, I find mythweb much better than the frontend for setting up recordings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Open House: Monday at 7:30pm (16-Nov-2009)

A few people have asked if they could drop by and see OTA in action here, so I'm opening the invitation to a wider audience now.

Short notice, but if you can make it over, we'll have information and demos for:
  • OTA analog/digital television reception
  • UHF/VHF antennas
  • Baluns
  • RF plumbing, switches
  • tuners
  • MythTV
Monday 7:30pm - 9:45pm, Bells Corners, Nepean.

Email me (mlord at pobox dot com) with your telephone number if you want to attend, and I'll get back to you via email (or by telephone if time is short) with my own address and number.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well, that was quite the crowd we had here! Thanks to all who showed up. I did forget to get a group photo, though!

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks mlord

Thanks for the 'show' last night... just when I think I've run out of things to tweak, a whole new world opens up;) Seriously though it was really informative - especially the antenna and plumbing stuff. I forgot to ask where you get the aluminum for antenna construction?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I forgot to ask where you get the aluminum for antenna construction?
Metal Supermarkets, at 2900 Sheffield Road, Ottawa. Buy only "full lengths" of the metal, and take your own hacksaw and/or bolt cutters to hack it into sections yourself in the parking lot. Otherwise the price can triple.
..it was really informative - especially the antenna and plumbing stuff.
Strangely enough, there were a few things I forgot to cover, and it was a bit of a nuisance that the Myth box was too busy with recordings for us to open it up for a look-see.

Other than that, it did seem to go well. :)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I am sorry I missed it. It would have been nice to have had a chance to meet everyone (though I have had a chance to meet a few people here and there).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks mlord! Great to meet everyone. Much learned. Just for fun I set up the G8 inside - my digital tuner still only gets 2 digital channels! I wonder if this Apex is just not up to snuff?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great session, mlord -- learned a bunch and added a dash of reality to my visions of building a dbgh... methinks it would be a big stretch for my limited mechanical skills and toolkit. Very impressed by the examples you built, tho!

Based on your comments, when I got home I did a search for HVR-950Q, and found that my frequent supplier on the west coast had a special (ending Nov 16!). So, as I watch 21.1 (WWTI 50.1) fade in and out while I type this, I wonder how much better (if any) this new toy will perform. (Yeah, definitely a longshot, due to both signal strength and adjacent channels.)

Really would be nice to build a very directional yagi...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Still thinkin' about it, but not doin' it yet. Work got rather unexpectedly busier than imagined..

-ml

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like something I want to be a part of. I want to get some kind of solution set up out where I am to pick up most of the Ottawa stations so we can stop handing money over to Robbers for basic cable.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
This event will never happen.
So if you're waiting for it, then make other plans.

Cheers

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.