Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am interested in making a channel 6 Yagi (if I don't make something before then).
Mmm.. That could be one HUGE antenna.. 11' for one wavelength, or 24' long for the recommended 2.2 wavelengths!

Mind you, one can ignore the recommendations, and just go for a short yagi, which I have done here from time to time.

On a 5.5' long boom, one can fit a dipole, reflector, and two directors.. giving around 8-9dBi gain. The longest element (reflector) would make the antenna nearly 6' in width.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Mmm.. That could be one HUGE antenna.. 11' for one wavelength, or 24' long for the recommended 2.2 wavelengths!

Mind you, one can ignore the recommendations, and just go for a short yagi, which I have done here from time to time.

On a 5.5' long boom, one can fit a dipole, reflector, and two directors.. giving around 8-9dBi gain. The longest element (reflector) would make the antenna nearly 6' in width.
I have even seen 3 elements (1 reflector and 1 director). Not sure what the gain would be, but it would likely be good enough for my needs. Before I go to all that trouble though, I would like to try just a folded dipole to see if that is better than what I currently have.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Mmm.. it might be tricky making that 67.5" wide folded dipole from a single length of rod. I *think* the stock lengths at Metal Supermarket are 12', though, so it should be doable.

Or make it in left and right halves, and couple them in the center on top, with a small aluminium shield and pop rivets. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi mlord,

I have family up in the Ottawa valley, and our cottage is near Westport, so we're up in that neck of the woods fairly often. Depending on circumstances I might be able to make it to the Build Party. But... I'm not much interested in a yagi here in Oakville. If you were doing another GH build I'd be there for sure!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Maybe it would be better to build a channel 7 yagi to see if I can pull in WWNY. It should be quite a bit smaller. The question is can I convince my wife to let me put it on the roof. ;) Regardless, I wouldn't be able to test it until spring.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would be interested in working on a channel 23 yagi , and I live in Ottawa. If space is available I would be happy to be involved.
We'll see, if/when the time comes.

But wanting a UHF-23 yagi is almost an automatic invite, ;)
since I want four of those for myself here.

Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in a ch7 yagi. I'd certainly be up for the build party, although since I did get in on the GH build, if things look crowded I'll let someone else take a spot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Count me in mlord for a Channel 23..... I think that's WNPI Norwood. Does the cost cost go down for multiple orders?? ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey mlord,

I would be interested in building a ch 7 Yagi for WWNY. Watching that channel would still make my gf and i happy. :)

E.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I will also be interested in building a channel 23 yagi. Maybe we can use this thread to share some ideas around the requirements and a tweaked design and its characteristics outside the band of interest. (looks like we will be needing Scotia Bank Place if everyone is going to join in:))

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Count me in mlord for a Channel 23..... I think that's WNPI Norwood. Does the cost cost go down for multiple orders?? ;)
Heh.. something to think about, that..

See, for WNPI-DT (UHF-23), I don't think a single yagi (unless prohibitively long) will do. At my location here, it's looking like four yagis, each just a little under 6' long.

I imagine it's the same story at most locations in Ottawa. Folks out in Barhaven could likely get by with just two of them.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Fr my location, TVFool suggests that a channel 18 yagi would be a better choice, since WWNY's proposed WNYF-LP repeater from the NPI tower would come in with a -9 dB NM, while channel 7 is still at least -16 dB NM.

Count me in for a ch. 18 )or 18/23) yagi, but I wouldn't mind playing around with a channel 7 or channel 9-13 yagi, too.

While we're at it, a yagi for NPR from WSLU 89.5 is a good idea, too.

tvl
Nepean, ON

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Fr my location, TVFool suggests that a channel 18 yagi would be a better choice, since WWNY's proposed WNYF-LP repeater from the NPI tower would come in with a -9 dB NM, while channel 7 is still at least -16 dB NM.
Interesting. I just did a similar check and elevation seems to make a huge difference here. For me with the default 10', TVFool says WWNY has a NM of about -12dB and WNYF-LP is nowhere to be found, but at 30', it says WWNY has a NM of -7.2dB and WNYF-LP will be even better at -3.4dB.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For Ch6 (ONLY), AWG12 will do the job in a Folded Dipole:
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loops/folded
Thicker tubing is needed if you also want Ch5 & FM Band.

Separation distance can be whatever is convenient....such as
wrapping around a piece of 1-in PVC....or bigger as in mlord's:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=833571

A similar Reflector can be added to increase Gain by 3 dB.

BTW: A Loop provides more gain than a Folded Dipole....navigation
controls are at top of that page....including a Loop + Reflector Loop.
And if you add one or more Directors, you have a Loop Yagi:
http://www.om3rkp.cq.sk/articles.php?lng=en&pg=4&prt=1
http://www.w6pql.com/misc/range-story.htm
Just a thought to get your eyes spinning.....

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I imagine it's the same story at most locations in Ottawa.
I don't think so. WNPI is doable with a decent gain antenna for most of Nepean south of the CN tracks EXCEPT for you in Bells Corners. (WNPI hovers around 0 NM with a decent elevation, which makes WNYF doable in a pinch at -10 dB NM.)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.