Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Sounds like a parallel to 660News here in Calgary. It definitely was a shock having them switch from an Oldies station to news, so I can easily relate to Ottawa residents who may not be happy with the change.

Are there any FM radio stations in Ottawa that play the Oldies?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Are there any FM radio stations in Ottawa that play the Oldies?
Not when I was there in July of this year. That will be a huge hole to fill...

Cameron

·
Registered
380 Posts
92.3 Jack FM Smith Falls covers much of the Ottawa area with a tower located in Carleton Place. I usually hear oldies on that station.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
92.3 Jack FM Smith Falls covers much of the Ottawa area with a tower located in Carleton Place.
From a vehicle, probably. I was visiting in the north-east end of Ottawa and 92.3 was very weak to non-existent on my best pocket receiver (which is quite good for DXing), or my portable Grundig, my reference FM receiver. 101.1 from Smiths Falls (Country) was OK, but not anywhere as strong as the locals.

Cameron

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
From a vehicle, probably. I was visiting in the north-east end of Ottawa and 92.3 was very weak to non-existent on my best pocket receiver (which is quite good for DXing), or my portable Grundig, my reference FM receiver. 101.1 from Smiths Falls (Country) was OK, but not anywhere as strong as the locals.

Cameron
When James says "much of Ottawa" he means west and south of downtown, not northeast.

By the way, the CJET/CKBY tower is in Blacks Corners, between Carleton Place and Franktown on highway 15.

·
Registered
580 Posts
CRTC hit-music content regulations in Ottawa make Oldies on FM extremely difficult, and unlikely. Also, a pure 50's - 70's traditional style oldies station is not demographically pleasing to advertisers. If it were to happen, it would likely be more of a 70's & 80's Classic Hits style format.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
I can only handle 580 is small dosages. Same with CNN and most of the talk/rant hosts on air now. Now music I can put on and leave it all day. But good luck to them if they can make it work.

Maybe it is just me but I find Ottawa is not a particularly newsworthy town (which is a good thing). Unless you are a political junkie. I suspect there will be little news with mostly fringe talk. :(

entertainment reports
Oh gawd no!

·
Registered
580 Posts
The whole model of the newswheel format is that you do only put it on for 15 minutes, maybe once or twice a day. What they count on is lots of people doing that.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
CRTC hit-music content regulations in Ottawa make Oldies on FM extremely difficult, and unlikely. Also, a pure 50's - 70's traditional style oldies station is not demographically pleasing to advertisers. If it were to happen, it would likely be more of a 70's & 80's Classic Hits style format.
I think the "no hits on FM" rule was recently changed. I think that an FM station in Lingston has reverted to oldies, and to their original AM calls (CKWS)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The whole model of the newswheel format is that you do only put it on for 15 minutes, maybe once or twice a day. What they count on is lots of people doing that.
or just checking the "traffic and weather together" on the threes.

Could give Info Radio 97.5 a run for its money -- at least there is a better chance that we would get TODAY's weather forecast.;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Could give Info Radio 97.5 a run for its money -- at least there is a better chance that we would get TODAY's weather forecast.;)
Funny you mention that. It's also next to non-existent in the northeast end. By the Ottawa Via train station and westward it was rock solid, same for CBC on DAB... I guess the CRTC doesn't allow contour maps to cover the northeast end......... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
97.5 is an unprotected service. It operates second adjacent from 97.1 and 97.9. At least in the west end, it comes in better than the last three incarnations on 99.7, 101.9, and 104.7.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
There's enough diversity now in Ottawa that I'm not sure a format flip would work in that area with what stations are currently available.

But, if 2 stations added HD ratio, an HD2 stream on one could carry AM1310 oldies format and on another station (or the same station) could put an HD3 stream (at reduced bitrate) the info channel. This would add more flexibility in accommodating stations and if blowtorch powered stations are used, decent coverage could be had.

Now, if we really wanted to push the envelope, HD radio does have an all-digital mode with no FM fallback.... That would be interesting to test.

Cameron

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Got a chance to listen to 1310 News this morning, its pretty good. Its a replica of 680 news toronto, same theme music, and sound effects. It even had some toronto news reporters announcing some headlines too such as pam seattle, and barb di giulio, pretty cool.

It does not come in very clear by Pembroke, but its pretty darn clear around Cobden and south east. Hope This Helps!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Got a chance to listen to 1310 News this morning, its pretty good. Its a replica of 680 news toronto, same theme music, and sound effects. It even had some toronto news reporters announcing some headlines too such as pam seattle, and barb di giulio, pretty cool.
I assume that it's part of the "Rogers News Network" ("Son of CKO") and that they're all alike. At the bottom of the 680News web page http://www.680news.com/ is a list of the network stations...

* Toronto, ON -- 680News
* Vancouver, BC -- News1130
* Calgary, AB -- 660News
* Kitchener, ON -- 570News
* Saint John, NB -- News 88.9
* Moncton, NB -- News 91.9
* Halifax, NS -- News 95.7

1 - 20 of 33 Posts