Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share an OTA success story with everyone.

So this past Saturday me and my new fiancee were hosting an engagement party of about 50 people in a rec centre in the complex where her grandma lives in Surrey. She'd been planning it for a couple of months around everyone's schedule and we'd have the hall from 2pm to 10pm (party starts at 6pm).

Problem: about a week before the party we find out the Canucks game is on the same evening starting at 5pm.

She starts freaking out because if people leave after the game they might not show up until 8:00 - 8:30, if they even bother at that point.

No worries, I'll take care of it. I bring my 42" Samsung, hook it up to the cable outlet -- it's not active, static on all channels. Good thing I also brought my 50m coaxial and CM4228 I had lying in the basement. Hook it up, tune to channel 2, get a bit of CBC, but quite noisy. Go outside, find a 3-story building between us and Mt. Seymour.

No worries, I'll take care of it. Find a ladder, climb up with the antenna on the roof of the hall, start pointing it around in the general direction of N/NW. Get one of the girls to check the reception, it's a bit better. Get her to tune to 58... CBC HD, crystal clear; 3/10 bars. Walk to the far end of the roof; 7/10 bars. Lay it down on some pipes, all set.

Nice. Fiancee is on facebook letting everyone know that the game will be on at the party.

A couple of hours latter about 40 people are gathered around the TV watching the Canucks in HD. Party was a success. I obviously did some casual OTA information sharing.

Too bad the Canucks lost though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks stampeder!

It's sad how many people don't know of this option. I had to correct a couple of "This can't be HD from an antenna, can it?" and "Is this legal?". I set them straight.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
"Is this legal?"
I got that when I put up the M4 on the chimney. WTF?* :confused:

* Wife's too fussy ;)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Same here on the weekend with the Canucks game. Step son and a few of his buddies couldn't believe the difference between OTA HD and analogue cable. hehe educating the young! ;-)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very nice Story. Just reading this for the first time, sorry I am a little late.

The legit question always is funny. Most people just can't get over the thought of HD being free.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Thanks stampeder!

It's sad how many people don't know of this option. I had to correct a couple of "This can't be HD from an antenna, can it?" and "Is this legal?". I set them straight.
Great story!

I get that "it's illegal" comment quite often. As a matter of fact, I just had a call this morning from someone who read Kate Taylor's weekend Globe&Mail article, http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=144015 ,and he said I was taking quite a risk of being sued for promoting illegal OTA-TV antennas,:p

I simply asked the old fart: "what did you use for TV reception in the 60s?" and then I asked him: "when were the laws changed to make antenna TV reception illegal?"

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a co-worker call me a pirate the other week, and then added that the cable fees were so high because people like me stole TV signals. The ignorance of the younger generation with regards to OTA astounds me sometimes. People of my generation grew up with OTA, and most have at least some idea that it is still out there. Many of the younger ones seem to think that TV only comes from cable or satellite. I tried hard to educate my co-worker, but I'm not at all sure she believed me. Its not even on the radar for some of the cable or satellite employees either. A few months ago I had a young Rogers rep come to my door to try to sell me cable. I said I wasn't interested. He could see my TV on in the background, and rather snarkily said he hoped I was enjoying Bell. The look on his face when I said it was OTA, and explained what that was, was priceless.:D I think it was the same guy who had earlier tried to sell me internet, and I asked him to better TekSavvy's unlimited plan. He declined. They've not come to my door recently. Maybe I'm now on some sort of "Do Not Bother" list.

·
Registered
600 Posts
he said I was taking quite a risk of being sued for promoting illegal OTA-TV antennas
The only way your antennas would be illegal was if there is an existing patent on the Stealth Hawk design.

You were too kind in your responses :D .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts