Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last little while I have noticed some stuttering. Picture seems to freeze for a second, then looks like it goes into fast forward mode to catch up. Doesn't happen on sub channels, only HD main channels. Thoughts? Have not seen this in the past.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CBC, CITY Toronto, have to make a list of others but those 2 for sure. Wife watching Downton Abbey reruns on CBC as I type and it's happening every now and then. No exact timing where I can say every 20 or 25 minutes. Random

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
CBLT and CITY have been rock solid down here, even on the backside of the antenna. CITY on RF 18 is 100 %.

You are picking up some type of interference. Or overload?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
What are you using for a Tuner? An HdHomerun may have issues like that if you are having Ethernet or wifi issues on your local network.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
It's almost impossible to analyze without a detailed description of the equipment and setup. Any changes made recently? What are the signal levels? Is it live or PVR? etc...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No PVR, nothing has changed. Signal is strong. Doesn't happen on all the channels, this is the strange thing. Not weather related either. Coax Feed is straight in to the TV. Have to check another TV to see if it's happening I guess. As I seem to be the only one having this issue, let the hunt begin!!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
It sounds a little like intermittent interference. I've seen this on weak UHF and VHF channels. It's possible that a strong source could cause overload on stronger signals. It could be anything from a nearby device or appliance to a streetlamp or commercial RF transmitter. The thing that has me perplexed is the "Picture seems to freeze for a second, then looks like it goes into fast forward mode to catch up" part and the fact that it only happens on HD channels. It's as if the tuner is buffering the signal for some reason and then going back to real time. Does this happen on other TV sets and tuners or just one? I wouldn't rule out the TV or a signal amplifier as the cause.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. I've had the main floor TV on this morning.. beside my home office. No stuttering on any other HD channels so far. Haven't tuned to CBC yet, that will come later. If it happens, I will check the TV upstairs for a while.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How about something basic like checking all connectors at the TVs, splitters and the antenna.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after a bunch of trouble shooting, it appears the out of warranty TV is the culprit. About a 3yr old LG that now can't find Wifi, keeps losing connection on ethernet and stutters like crazy at times. No other TV's affected, even another LG in the basement. Found only one loose cable connection.

Funny, I bought a refurbished Samsung at MTC outlet in Whitby and it came with a 3 year warrant plus an extra year with the credit card. Guess I got a bad LG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts