Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this content is a duplicate of what I posted in the FTA sub-fourm, for context purposes. Then I thought OTA folks might be interested in what I did. And for some I am sure this could be old news. For the forum moderators - if this is a 'worn out copy' of the same posted before feel free to delete this post.

So what did I do with OTA for my household, living near Halifax, NS? I did this:
  • Put a high-gain antenna on the side of my house. (I used a GPS to mark Geizers Hill in Halifax, and then used my GPS to align my antenna to it. My signal quality all year is 90-100% and I very rarely get pixelization, and I get all 3 OTA channels available in Halifax area.)
  • Bought a HDhomerun OTA tuner.
  • Installed Emby media server on my FreeBSD server.
  • Buy the yearly premium license for Emby, only so I get the TV guide with it.
  • Use Emby to stream my live OTA TV, DVR, and personal media content to all my devices: browsers, game consoles, smart TVs, and cellphones.
Pretty slick, and it's heavy-duty rock solid. Shameless plug - FreeBSD OS, Emby, and HDhomerun products are really solid, mature, dependable products to say the least. I am not affiliated with any of the products mention, just simply really appreciate how dependable and stable (bug free) they really are.

Thanks,
SignalMan

·
Registered
346 Posts
Definitely nothing new, but it's sad how little TV you get there. I get 58 channels as I'm close to a major US city and get more stations in the Summer.

I have a Tablo and accomplishes the same thing as the HDHR, which is an OTA streaming tuner that will stream to it's App on any smart device. Pretty handy thing, don't have to run coax through the walls or floors to different devices - just one line from the antenna to the streamer and you are done.

I'm a true FREE OTA guy and won't pay any subscription for something I can get for free, lots of free TV Guide apps online on your phone to use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts