Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
CHNU 66 analog transmitter is primarily for the Fraser Valley as it pumps out a weak signal to the west (Vancouver & Lower Mainland) and south (Bellingham).

After August 31st, when they upgrade to digital on UHF 47, the CHNU signal will have a wider contour and should reach into the Lower Mainland and Bellingham much better. A good antenna mounted outside, plus some height, could be needed to get stable reception.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Vancouver's upcoming channel transition dance

Keep in mind that several stations will be occupying channels presently being used by other stations. In order for the following musical chairs game to occur, it has to happen in this sequence:
  1. CIVT analogue on channel 32 goes dark
  2. CIVT-DT 33 moves to -> 32
  3. CKVU-DT 47 moves to -> 33
  4. CHNU analogue 66 replaced by -> CHNU-DT 47
CKVU's and CHNU's shutdown of their analogue transmitters do not affect this sequence.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No CHECK DT in Vancouver?!?

For some reason I thought CHECK would be broadcasting digital in Vancouver. Apparently I was mistaken. That is unfortunate as CHECK does pick up shows that I watch, and I have a feeling that I won't be able to receive CHECK where I'm located.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
jbr439 said:
I thought CHECK would be broadcasting digital in Vancouver
CHEK will continue to operate out of Victoria and will transition to UHF channel 49, thus it is not considered a "Vancouver" station. It will be available in most parts of the Lower Mainland though. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
after making a new M4, i'm able to get better local signals but am still having a lot of difficulty with CIVT (CTV).

Last night i was able to get seattle stations, kiro, komo, fox but for the life of me, civt couldn't be locked...oh well...time for a pre-amp...

thanks DHC!

·
Registered
340 Posts
ION out of the states is broadcast on rf33 so is the CTV digital signal for now, they conflict with each other as they are on the same signal. I have that here in Victoria if I pick up ION I cant get CTV 32.1 even though it normally comes in at around 20db until ION signal drops out again (tropo sensitive). this should straighten out after the transition, but you may then have the same with citytv and ION. Vancouver should not really be using rf 33 as ION already uses it and they are looking to boost there signal strength aswell (up to 400kw) that is one of the reasons vancouver has limited power on 33 whoever uses it... that is my guess anyways. lol. Industry Canada should really evaluate which rf's they are using here as this is not the only unnessisary conflict that is occuring. (ex: kbtc and citytv in Victoria booth on 27) oh well sigh...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have noticed that channel 21 (joytv) from Victoria has been black screen for a few days now. Does anyone know if this is part of the digital transition or something else?

·
Registered
59 Posts
CIVIDT2 17.1 (CTVtwo) will go live in metro Vancouver on Monday, August 29 at 6:00 a.m. That's what the TV guide says.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 at 6:00 a.m.:

CHNUDT 47.1
CHEKDT 49.1

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Vancouver, Victoria, & Fraser Valley Transition Schedule (unofficial)

Gord Lansdell has published the following unofficial information on his Northwest Broadcasters site in the News section, which I'll summarize here. Unfortunately Gord had not heard from CHEK or CBC/SRC yet on their plans. Gord talks to everyone in the business so hopefully we'll see what he finds out soon.
  • Tuesday, August 30, 2011:
    • afternoon: CKVU analogue channel 10 goes dark (CKVU-DT digital remains on 47 until the next morning)
    • afternoon: CHNU's Victoria repeater on channel 21 flash cuts from analogue to digital
  • Wednesday, August 31, 2011:
    • 00:02 CIVT 32 analogue goes dark, CIVT-DT digital moves from channel 33 to channel 32 right afterwards
    • 00:30 CIVI on channel 17 flash cuts from analogue to CIVI-DT digital
    • 09:00 CKVU-DT digital moves from channel 47 to channel 33
    • afternoon: CHNU Abbotsford analogue on channel 66 goes dark in mid-morning and comes back as CHNU-DT digital on channel 47

·
Registered
27 Posts
The transition time is finally here!!!!!

I almost can't believe it, we seem to have been waiting for this week forever.

Hopefully CHNU comes in clear for me, the analog was such low power I always got a lot of snow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm in Abbotsford (apparently where the transmitter is?) and I could never get it channel 66 either. I know my antenna has something to do with that, but still.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in Abbotsford (apparently where the transmitter is?) and I could never get it channel 66 either. I know my antenna has something to do with that, but still.
i believe the origin is in the surrey/langley area...its behind the wolfe mazda dealership...at least i think thats where it is as i drove pass by it before on a daily basis...however the big dishes are pointed to the east

101 - 120 of 631 Posts