Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
CBC has always been a problem for me even the analog ch 2 I have interference issues, every 30 min kicks in goes for 30 min then out again. I tried everything high pass filters, fm traps, 1/4 wave notch filters, different antennas. I gave up. You would think that living in a capital we would get good signal from CBC, the CBC promise ... EPIC FAIL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As of 2:00 PM PST just lost CBC, Global, CKVU, and CTV digital channels all completely dark. Anyone else?:confused:
Nope, all channels OK for me out in Abbotsford.

danbcman said:
Chan Tv Reply
They removed a box that did some PSIP encoding from the stream the recieved from Calgary how ever now they do that step in Calgary so it is an error they are working on now to remove.
CTV (32.1) is also having PSIP troubles. I called the station this morning, and one of the guys there said they updated/installed a new program to control PSIP data and it's time shifted into the future. The time is right but the details are not. They're trying to find the problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with CIVT-DT 33 (32.1) for the past little while. I thought my DTA box was having problems, but it was limited to that channel. Shows that the station carries, but not when they say they're on. Good to hear you sussed it out, danomac.

·
Registered
92 Posts
CHAN Sub Channel

Last week I scanned my Samsung TV for new channels and it came up with CHAN SD 8.2 although there is nothing on it.

This morning, I was surfing through the channels and came to 8.2. The TV auto deleted it and went back to CHAN 8.1. Looks like the initial test is over for moment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If August 31st is the deadline for switchovers you'd think CHEK, CIVI and CBUTF would be starting tests, or am I just crazy!
Also CHNU (Joy TV) is scheduled for flash cut on August 31st. The Joy website does not even list OTA as an option under "Where to find Joytv 10" or any mention of the looming digital conversion. Not even their broadcast freqency or OTA channel number is listed. Of course, they do mention their cable channel number and BDU's such as Shaw and Telus. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found this on their web site
Viewers that receive their TV signals by cable, satellite or another TV distribution service will not be affected.

Following the analog to digital conversion, CHNU-TV UHF-66, (JoyTV 10) - will be available in the Vancouver area on UHF channel 47 instead of 66 and in Victoria it will continue to be available on UHF channel 21.

JoyTV10 Vancouver and Victoria will begin broadcasting in digital at 12 am August 31st, 2011.
http://www.joytv10.ca/crtc_information.php

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Joy website

Nice spot on the digital conversion link on JOY website, I overlooked it. Good to see that Joy has their CRTC mandated PSA on the website. Listing their OTA channel number on their About Us page (or some other permanent page) would also be useful.

I much prefer the US station websites for the amount of helpful information on digital OTA, and clear easy site navigation to find it. The US station websites typically blow away the Canadian broadcasters for the amount of detail and enthusiasm on OTA matters.

For exazmple, KIRO in Seattle has a MAIN menu link called "Station" that has a sub link showing all their OTA translators plus an excellent page called Digital TV Transition that goes WAY beyond meeting minimum obligations. A wealth of useful articles and links on digital OTA can be easily found.

I would be in shock if we ever see a Canadian broadcaster put an article on their website (like KIRO did), that is called "Cable Squeezes Clarity Out Of HDTV"

·
Registered
75 Posts
CHEK-TV Transition Plan

http://digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/1298734815548/1298734815582

CHEK (CHEK-TV)
Analog Channel: 6
Digital Channel: 6
Transition Plan: Switching to digital, date to be determined .

Wow a low-band VHF DTV channel. LAME. They're the only channel in the market without a firm transition date set either, but then again what's the point of switching to digital at all if they're staying on channel 6.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That website has outdated info. CHEK is *not* staying on Channel 6. They are moving to Channel 49, same transmitting location @ 28 kW maximum ERP (directional)
I hope you're right about that. Channel 49 is a lot better than channel 6!

·
Registered
75 Posts
@Emarsee - Do you have a contour map you can post? The zip file on the CRTC website is corrupt.

I'd be surprised if I didn't at least see something. I'm only 20 miles from Saturna and I've got perfect line of site. According to Stampeter's database, average ERP is still going to be 15 kW and Peak ERP is going to be 28 kW in the main lobe. That tells me there's going to be at least something coming off the side. Besides, directional antennas are never as directional in the real world as they are on paper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OTA DTV

So, since the Digital Transition is coming closer and closer, I was wondering what other DTV channels may be available starting August 29 except for the 5 already here in metro Vancouver - CTV, CBC, Citytv, OMNI, Global.

81 - 100 of 631 Posts